Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Drive the Curborough Sprint Track - Tues 3th May 2011

Started by Krazyken, 10, February, 2011, 08:56:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Krazyken

We have been invited by the WSCC to join them to drive at their exclusive event at the Curborough Sprint Track the day after Stoneleigh.  Numbers are limited to just 15 and the cost will be around £50 - final details to be confirmed. 

At this stage I am looking for expressions of interest but please only respond if you are serious about partaking in this event so that I can provide the WSCC with an idea of numbers from our club.

Daley Down Under

David H

tickious

Westiebusa

peetee

I presume this is Tuesday 3rd May, not 4th? I am interested, but need to get out of a work commitment first. Can you put me down as a possible please Ken?

Denzle

Quote from: Krazyken on 10, February, 2011, 08:56:18 PM
We have been invited by the WSCC to join them to drive at their exclusive event at the Curborough Sprint Track the day after Stoneleigh.  Numbers are limited to just 15 and the cost will be around £50 - final details to be confirmed. 

At this stage I am looking for expressions of interest but please only respond if you are serious about partaking in this event so that I can provide the WSCC with an idea of numbers from our club.

Hi Ken,   :)

Is it possible,....as I dont have a track car,... :'(    to attend some of these track day events as an onlooker to watch and take video footage.     Would there be an entrance fee to do this.

I think video footage of a days event would go down well with other club members and wscc members that were not able to attend the meet.    They could then watch and share the activities that went on during the day, not just onboard footage but repairs and general banter between the lads, plus overnight video footage.   8)

What do you think......  Denzle    ;)

Krazyken

We are limited to 5 places for this event so it's first come first served.  Please post to confirm that you will definitely be attending so that I can let the organiser know.  Please bear in mind that you may need to help out with marshalling when you are not competing.

Denzle, Good News the WSCC would welcome you to photo & video this event as long as you share your expertise with all the competitors, this could be a new career for you!

David H

Hi Ken, nice one.

Is this a competition then?

Whats the format?

Krazyken

Details from WSCC below, note price this year is £55.

WSCC COTSWOLD AREA
OUR OWN PRIVATE CURBOROUGH TRACK DAY

DATE       TUESDAY 3rd MAY 2011
TIME      9.00 a.m. for Drivers Briefing
WHERE   just off the A38 near Fradley past Lichfield – see website
NOISE   nothing to worry about
WEB       www.curborough.co.uk
COST      £55 per car for the whole day

This the second time where we have booked Curborough exclusively for our own use so it is a PRIVATE DAY as before we have invited our WSCC neighbours to be sure of getting the numbers to cover the track hire costs. By direct booking we cut out the middleman and give you excellent value for money  -- but numbers are limited to just 15
For those of you who haven't been to Curborough before you will find a short but tricky sprint venue on the edge of the old Fradley airfield  --- It is the ideal time to bring your car out and enjoy a low pressure car and driver testing day. We will be running everything ourselves in a friendly and informal way but will still pay full attention to safety --- you will be asked to take turns in doing some marshalling and start supervision.
CAMPING OVERNIGHT   We have arranged access to the site on the evening before so that those of us who will be coming on direct from the Stoneleigh Kitcar Show can drive to Curborough directly and possibly enjoy a few bevvies and a supper at nearby local hostelry Anchor Inn at Streethay before attempting to pitch tents --- washing and lavatory facilities are on site  -- you may consider these a bit basic.
BOOKING      First send me an email (Andrew@jasprint.com) or phone me 01684 592277 and I'll reserve you a place, then please send your cheque for £55 made out to "Andrew Reeves" and post it to the below address without delay.
BRIEF FACTS FOR THE DAY   
•   Clothes --- do come with crash helmet and dress to keep arms and legs covered (no need for racing kit) just as you would for a track day --- email/call me with any queries
•   Track and Facility Details  --- look on the Curborough website www.curborough.co.uk
•   Liability Insurance – we are fully covered by a policy operated by the owners of the track, the  Shenstone and District Car Club, an FSA  affiliated organisation .
•   Medical Support – we hope to have a first-aider available
•   Fire Equipment   --- we will have a complete set of the appropriate fire extinguishers
•   Driver Instruction  -- no formal driver instruction will be available although experienced club members will give advice where needed.
•   Second drivers will be allowed but passengers are not allowed
ANDREW REEVES

RMW50

Ken / Andrew,
I am keen to attend this one (I was down for the Wales day in May but may nto be able to do that one), I will contact Andrew directly and organise payment etc.
Thanks,
Rich

Daley Down Under

All,

Just did a sanity check on the date.  I'm due to be in Aberdeen on Wed 4th May so I'm assuming we're talking here about Tues 2nd May???????

Adrian

Daley Down Under

Or even Tues 3rd May ( being 10hrs ahead isn't helping - must go to bed)

Adrian

Krazyken

It's the Tuesday after Stoneleigh so 3rd May it is.

Krazyken

Time to bounce this one, we have 5 places allocated to the BKCC, so please can you confirm who has booked once you have confirmed with Andrew Reeves of the WSCC

David H

RMW50

I am booked in for this, it will be my first track day, so I am really looking forward to it!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: RMW50 on 03, April, 2011, 09:28:09 AM
I am booked in for this, it will be my first track day, so I am really looking forward to it!

Excellent. I am seriously considering this as well.

tickious

Sorry if I've missed it, but is there a link to where we book?

Krazyken

Full details are on the first page of this thread.

'The Gaffer'

Email sent to Andrew.

To book a place contact Andrew (Andrew@jasprint.com) or phone him 01684 592277

tickious

Andrew has just confirmed I've got the last place. :P
Is everyone camping over?  I'll be driving up in the morning. Anyone want to join me? ::)

Zoom!

'The Gaffer'

I'm camping at Stoneleigh on the Monday night... weather permitting.

RMW50

Guys,

This will be my first track event and I am really looking forward to it, I dont suppose that I will break any records but cant wait to see how the car handles.
I wasnt sure what you think about track day insurance, is it necessary for a small event with only 15 cars? Is it cheaper to take it out for multiple events or just on an event by event basis?

I would appreciate your veiws...

Rich

dave_bence

I enquired about track day insurance before my first event.

It was very expensive, with a large excess.

I didn't bother then and haven't considered it since.

A track day on a sprint circuit with just one car running at a time is about as safe as it gets - safer than driving on a public road.

Just don't try going too fast too soon and you'll be fine.

tickious

'The Gaffer'

tickious

Have visitors all weekend so can't get away til monday. o well, see you there.
Are you guys meeting somewhere 1st for breakfast?

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: tickious on 28, April, 2011, 07:41:55 PM
Have visitors all weekend so can't get away til monday. o well, see you there.
Are you guys meeting somewhere 1st for breakfast?

After reading this thread again it appears the WSCC are leaving Stoneleigh and camping at Curborough the Monday night. I will do the same.

You say you are free Monday, why not meet up with us at Curborough Monday eve? Not sure of the exact plan yet but you could email Andrew Reeves.

See you soon.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: RMW50 on 27, April, 2011, 01:10:24 PM
Guys,

This will be my first track event and I am really looking forward to it, I dont suppose that I will break any records but cant wait to see how the car handles.
I wasnt sure what you think about track day insurance, is it necessary for a small event with only 15 cars? Is it cheaper to take it out for multiple events or just on an event by event basis?

I would appreciate your veiws...

Rich

I tend to agree with Dave Bence. Trackday insurance is so expensive, but I guess everybody has to way up the pros and cons.

tickious

RMW50

Well said Dave! What a fantastic day, I can't believe what fun it was today! I will post the videos up in the net few days, we have some good shots of all of us, even of my first spin!
Rich

'The Gaffer'

Yes, what a great day. Thanks Andrew for inviting us, great company with the Westfield club. I would defiantly do this again.

Welcome to the spin club Rich ;D

'The Gaffer'

RMW50 Rich takes his wife out for the first time ever in his kit car - I think she sort of enjoyed it :-X

Few more images to follow when our picture hosting site is back up.

Krazyken

Great videos, the track looks wider than I expected.

Any chance of a write up with the format of the day, cars on track, circuit layout etc?  This may grab the interest to get a few more BKCC members there next year.

RMW50

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 04, May, 2011, 01:06:03 PM
RMW50 Rich takes his wife out for the first time ever in his kit car - I think she sort of enjoyed it :-X

Few more images to follow when our picture hosting site is back up.

Well I sort of knew that Karen wasn't really interested in the toy, and perhaps not the best "gentle run out" that I might have taken her on for the first time in the car, but too good an opportunity to have missed! I clearly took it a little easy on that run, as I didn't spin out!!!

What a great day out!

Rich

tickious

V8 again wub with sound, only on my phone though, but if you turn it up you can just make it out.

'The Gaffer'

Just a little update and a few pics of our day at the Curborough sprint track.

I drove from Stoneleigh the night before to a pre booked B&B about 15mins from the track at Curborough (Yes I could have camped, but chickened out not wanting a stiff back and neck) The biggest mistake I made though was staying at a pub - The locals were very interested in my Riot in the car park and insisted on getting the drinks flowing while I talked to them about my car.

Still managed a reasonably early night though and after a hearty breakfast made my way to the track. By now my satnav was running on steam but made it there in the nick of time before it died.

Arrival time was 9am which left plenty of time for a briefing and a track walk. Curorough is a very basic venue with only a few chemical toilets scatered around, so if you are expecting to have a nice cup of coffee in the cafe on arrival, forget it, there isn't one. We were led around by a guy who races for Ginetta, he was very good at explaining the course and best lines to take. He had a monster of a car that was first or second in class at various sprints and hill climb's. (See V8 Video)
The WSCC club made us BKCC members very welcome.

A walk around the track.

After the walkround, we had a short while to mingle with the nice lads from WSCC Cotswolds club and get organised before the 10am start.

Mingling before the start.

Then we were off, as with anything new I was a little apprehensive about the track but soon settled in gradually increasing speed as the morning went on.

The start line, queue moved forward pretty fast.

I think there were about 20 cars there, with quite a few returning to this event again because they enjoyed the last time so much - and unlike a pro sprint where everything is timed and you only manage a couple of laps, this event was just like an open pit lane track day. There was a little unnoficial timing though :-X

The track itself is in pretty good condition and not too rough on the tyres, it was actually longer than I imagined too with certain sections where you have to think about quite a few things at once, one mistake at the entry to the curves can mean messing them all up. I missed a couple of gears a few times during the day and had one or two tank slappers but no spins. Excellent fun.

Before I knew it lunchtime was upon us and the obligitory 'no noise' 1-2pm break was taken. As there were no catering facilities I beleive it was Andrew Reeve's daughter who took a list and drove out for food returning bang on time with 2 or 3 bags packed with goodies.

Lunch break

During the morning we concentrated on just one lap of the track but in the afternoon this was increased to two laps. The interesting thing about doing two laps is it now incorporates another curve - rather than carrying on to the start line you now have to turn back on to the track on a very tricky right hander. This curve is invisible until you drop over a small crest so you have to look for a breaking point, something I and a few others just couldent seem to perfect. Needless to say there were a few smoking tyres on that bend :) I finally got it just right on my very last lap!!

This event has to be one of the most enjoyable things I have done in my car to date and can thoroughly recommend it. Maybe we can book another one sometime. The weather certainly helped.

With weather like this, who could not enjoy a day out.

Here's to the next one.

tickious

Gaffers start

Richards start

V8 start

Closer look at the V8

David H