+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Favour Requested in Portsmouth

Started by Grin-a-lot, 01, May, 2014, 10:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin-a-lot

I'm after a particularly big favour and i'm hoping it'll appeal to someone!

I currently work in a RN ship - the one below to be exact. 

My Captain leaves his post on 12 May 14 and it's tradition to see him off in style.  He used to own a Plymouth Prowler and has a thing for cars; particularly Cobras - this is likely to be his next project.

To help him leave the ship in style (and with a bit of PR), would anyone - ideally a Cobra owner - be willing to make the trip down to Portsmouth for the afternoon and drive the captain off the ship and off around the corner out of sight?  We could return the favour with lunch, a tour of the ship and coverage of petrol costs.

Longer term i'm looking to arrange a club visit to the ship for those that are interested anyway, dates to follow.

If anyone can help then i'd be eternally grateful - whilst a Cobra is preferred anyone that's willing to offer assistance would be appreciated!

benchmark51

That appeals to me a lot, unfortunatley I haven't got a Cobra.
I used to live at Grenville house in Brixham, which was started in
the 1800's as an orphanage for the sons of RN captains that were killed
in action. It was run along RN lines, we wore uniforms and had a marching band.
We used to go to 'beat the retreat' at various events and play at rememberance day gatherings.
We also got to go on warships, I remember Ark Royal, Centaur, Blake and Penelope
Also spent Easter at HMS Cambridge in Devon.
So if you get stuck there's always me and ratbag!
A club visit would be great, haven't been on a warship for a long time.

Moleman

I would be interested to help to but as you know I also don't have a cobra.  :( let me know if there is anything I can do.
If anyone out there has one but can't make that date I would be happy to step in and take it down there for you. 8)

The other trip also sounds great mate. ;D

paintman

I'll give Dixie a text.....he might do it. ::)

Dixie

Will this do?

What is the plan if wet weather?

Mark

Dixie

I'll put a link on the Cobra Replica Club.  Bound to get someone down there, they will love to do this.  If we cant find anyone, I'll do it.
Quote from: Dixie on 01, May, 2014, 09:22:00 PM
Will this do?

What is the plan if wet weather?

Mark

Grin-a-lot

Dixie,

thanks for putting it on the cobra replica club site and also your own offer; of course your car "will do" it looks and sounds bl**dy awesome!

If it's wet he'll have to make his own, unceremonious departure - I've already told the guys in the ship that if anyone does offer to bring a car that they won't do it in the rain.

Thanks once again!

fletch_306

Ah a fellow member of the senior service. Hope it all goes well.

Dixie

Grin-a-lot.

There are 3 cobra's on the CRC forum offering to help.  One guy is about an hour away, the other is closer and his dad was in the Navy.  His Cob is a fantastic Yellow with white stripes.

Can you PM me your contact details inc email address so that Tony or others can contact you.

regards Mark

Dixie

I have PM'd you Tony's number.  He is waiting your call.  Over to you now mate.

Mark

Moleman

Bulldog Bri

Result. Hope you'll post some pic's of the event Darren ;D

8)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 03, May, 2014, 09:37:45 AM
Result. Hope you'll post some pic's of the event Darren ;D

8)

Ditto.

A look around your ship wouldn't go amiss either, looking forward to that if you can sort it.

garry h

Just shows you what a helpful caring bunch of people we are  :) :) :) :) :)

Grin-a-lot

It's been great, a few of Dixie's mates have offered their services and it's all looking promising.  Just need to hope for a dry spell!

Bulldog Bri

Think it should be videoed as well :P

8)

Grin-a-lot

Well I failed to get any pictures or video but thought I'd let you know that Dixie, his friend Tony and the Cobra club did a great job.

A gorgeous 7.4L yellow Crendon arrived and despite some rain made a great show and a fantastic exit for the outgoing Captain.  Just as some on the ship were moaning that he didn't give the accelerator much poke, Tony span the wheels up and it sounded like a thunder storm was on its way!

It was a really fitting way for the Captain to depart and it's reinforced his desire to build a car - I went to his house that night and he showed me how he'd been clearing space in his garage!

Moleman

Shame about the pictures.  :(  Really cool about the send off though mate. Well done Dixie for getting it sorted. I can see a B.K.C.C. & Cobra Club visit to the ship on the cards soon then mate.  8)

Bulldog Bri

Didn't anyone get some photos bud? :o
Time to ask around and get them posted ;)
Well done to the Cobra boys :P

8)

garry h

Glad it all went well sounds like a fitting retirement bet hes still smiling now  ;D ;D ;D

Pilgrim Anna

Sorry I don't have a Cobra either, but would have been willing to help out! Look forward to seeing some pics of the event ;D