+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

My Shelsley T2

Started by chrislandy, 10, October, 2011, 01:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrislandy

Afternoon all, I've been meaning to put this up for a while now so finally!...

I started my Shelsley build back in 2002! but for many reasons from simple to stupid it took 7 years to get it through the SVA and another 6 to register it as new.

Shelsley T2 at Race Shack before it went on the rollers by landychris, on Flickr

It uses the Rover 220 turbo engine which has been tweeked to suit the characteristics of the car although I haven't had it on the rollers since the rebuild. The day after passing the SVA I took it to Donnington Park (Nov 2008) and had a little oil pressure problem (too high for once!) and popped the engine. This actually worked for the best as I managed to source a brand new block so I could get a new registration on it.

The engine bay by landychris, on Flickr

Par of my from scratch wiring loom by landychris, on Flickr

2 years on and 1200 miles later there are still a few niggles here and there but generally I'm pretty happy with the way I built it, I need to work on heat management as on the hot day this year it vapourised the fuel in the pump/swirl pot system and I need to build a roof for it.

Other than that it's "quick" :)

Chris

David H

stupott901

very nice looking engine bay never seen one of those before

Hairy Santa

like the looks of that - impressed

'The Gaffer'

Very nice. The Shelsley T2 is quite a performer.

chrislandy

It is pretty quick and although I still need to do a lot of setup work on the suspension it handles and corners superbly and for a mid engined car it doesn't suffer to much from lift off oversteer!

Does anyone have a corner weight guage?

Krazyken

For set up and corner weights contact Dave Gallop at Track Developments, mention you are with the BKCC we have a special deal in place.  Best to ring Dave direct on his mobile 07977 948883.

Otherwise you could wait until the club has a corner weight clinic at TD May/June next year.

Peggyontherun

Nice build more pictures please :P

chrislandy

You asked, therefore you shall receive!

This was the custom radiator(s) I had made up, the front smaller one is for the charge cooler.

Radiator mockup by landychris, on Flickr

DSCN0400 by landychris, on Flickr

Another view of the engine bay (The charge cooler is on the bottom left)

DSCN0405 by landychris, on Flickr

The engine just before installation

DSCN0103 by landychris, on Flickr

The interior installation sequence

bare interior by landychris, on Flickr

carpets in by landychris, on Flickr

interior in (excuse the steering wheel!) by landychris, on Flickr

IMG_0030 by landychris, on Flickr

Chris.

Quarrycars

Nice work, really neat car.
Quote from: chrislandy on 10, October, 2011, 01:51:14 PM
Par of my from scratch wiring loom by landychris, on Flickr
I've been wanting to build a wiring harness using aircraft type cable and connectors.  Where did you get the supplies?

chrislandy

BF1 Connect

They were really helpfull but be warned, the tooling to make the connectors up was as much as the wiring loom bits cost (and the connectors weren't cheap!) ! If you need some advice on it then give me a shout as it was a really steep learning curve!

Chris

Quarrycars

Yes - the cost of the tools was one of the things holding me back, the crimpers are about $300 and pin insert/remove tools are easily another $50, they do come up on Ebay though.  Talked to the guys at the local airfield and they where using crappy automotive crimpers for wiring repairs - scary :o

chrislandy

change the $ to £ and thats what they cost over here!