News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Quantum mk1 coupe rebuild

Started by Quantum owner, 12, December, 2011, 07:44:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quantum owner

Not so much a nut and bolt rebuild but the story of the car since ive had it.

I won the car off ebay after looking at some other and lossing out on a couple of bids.

400mile round trip to pick it up from leak which was a but of a journey. Mot it in work failed on 4 things headlight aim, inscure c.v boot, no fog tell tail and brake flexi rubbing on tyre so spent nothing in getting it throught the mot.

After the first week of driving it water pump started to whine so replaced it and the timing belt. Took for a bit of a spin and withing 2 miles the o/s/f wheel bearing collapsed. So new bearing and hub.

Give it a good clean and wax

A bit ot wheel cleaner and tyre black stuff and the wheels come up a treat.

Painted headlight suronds

Removed rocker cover and air box to respray them

The oil filler cap

Air box

The air box cover looks brilliant espically when the sun was shining on it

And the rocker cover in red 4 layers of paint

All put back on the car.

Next job was too remove the door panels and make new door cards.

Stripped the old carpet out.

Painted the panel that holds the boonet catch on after taking it off to find where the leak was coming from after finding water in the footwells.

Mounted a strap to hold my battery in place for a tempery method.

Covered my door cards in leather in a step by step guide if anybody intrested in making there own panels.

Started off with the door card

Then cut some backing roughly and glued it on to the door card

Then up on it side you can see the edge that needs to be cut down

All cut down and layed on the leather to cut the leather to the right size

You need about a 3-4 cm overlap of the leather in order to fold the edge over to glue on the back off the door card like this

Next fold the leather over the back off the door card. You can either glue or stapple in place i started off stappling it then relised it was puncturing the leather on the other side but luckly you can't see the holes it created and only 2-3 stapples went through.

The corners are slightly harder to get right you need to cout the leather at 45% on each corner

Glue the to corners on and it looks like this.

All finished looks like this from the back

And from the front with the holes cut out for the window winder and door handle

Both door cards finished and put back on car

The painted battery bracket

My temp solution for trying to seal up my door better

Fitted new speakers

My rear panels fitted

Couple of pics of the mud guards fitted

Not too sure on the sticker might get some quantum ones made up.

After stopping the water leaks had time to start on fitting the new carpets.

This is where i am at the moment got new buckets seats to be fitted but the weather is not to kind at the moment so holding off putting them in also got to finish of the kick panels with speakers on them. Also making a center consule for it with a oil pressure gauge, clock and volt gauge to fit a starter botton and the new mini style flick switches for the fog light, rear wiper etc.

'The Gaffer'

Krazyken

Superb job Quantum Owner.

Eddie Ruskin of Dynamic Mouldings & Quantun Kit Cars based in Iron Acton now owns all the rights to the early Quantums so should be able to supply and parts you may need.  Also if you join as a supporting member you will get access to all the club negotiated discounts which will save you £££££££££'s.

Look forward to seeing the finished car.

Quantum owner

Been a while since i last posted not a huge amount done due to weather and work but managed to get some work done on it. Since buying it ive been having problems starting when hot which has got worst over the winter. So ive cleaned up all connection on the charging system and the earthing point, removed alternator for testing by my local engineering shop as it was only charging 12v when hot and found it was charing fine so stripped and cleaned the alternator and connectors as they were corroded, also replaced the battery from my mgb to the quantum and the hot starting issues haven't come back which is good.

Also been busy trying to seal water leaks coming into the car. Another thing was the temp gauage hardly moved, cooling fan never kicked in even when the engine was getting hot and no heaters.

A quick look soon found out the problem the coolant pipe coming from the rad to the thermostate was at the bottom of the rad and visa vers for the water pump so found some copper pipe and switched the piping around.

Thie was what it was like the white bits was dried up polish.

Also found the temp control dial not connected. So not only i have atleast some heaters my temp gauage is reading normal and my fan is kicking in result. So pleased that i have heaters i finally got around to fitting my new seats that i had before xmas.

The camera makes them out to be pink but they are red but have just fadded a bit when i stored them.

I have had other problems but nothing that worth mentioning. Should finish of my carpet next weekend, make a headliner for it as it's just painted fiberglass at the moment, remove the dash and seal the bulkhead up as it leaks a bit of water, respray my wheels and new tyres, strip suspension clean and paint everything, will need new bottom arms and will polybush the ARB bushes and any other job find to do.

As for the mev exocet build im on the look out for a mx5 so as soon as i find one will put up a build thread.

fullpint

Seats do look very comfy even though they look 'Pink' :P I believe you when you say they are red  ;) :D :D :D :D

'The Gaffer'

Nice seats, engine looks very clean 8)