Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another Triumph Spitfire

Started by robp, 13, November, 2012, 05:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robp

Quote from: robp on 11, January, 2016, 09:09:00 PM
OK, how to sort out the rusty fuel tank.....

1.  Buy a new one.  Ain't cheap at about £230+

2.  Use this stuff.  Seems popular with many classic car folk.
http://www.frost.co.uk/por15-small-car-tank-repair-kit.html

3.  Use white wine vinegar.  Get some and let it sit in there for a while.  Cheapest option!

OK.  I went down the cheapskate route of the acid vinegar.  ::)

I bought 5 litres of 40% strength and poured it in the tank.  I also put a small amount in a plastic tray with a couple of bits of rusty metal as a tester.  I had a look the next day and the there was no change. 

I forgot all about it but when I was in the garage today I saw the tester and the rust had mostly gone.  I had a look in the tank and was delighted to see clean metal in there.  :D :D  There was a couple of small areas that just needed a little help so I chucked in a few screws and give the whole thing a good shake.  I drained the whole thing and, blimey, the brown muck that came out!  :o :o

Anyway, looks great now!

robp

Quote from: Iancider on 11, January, 2016, 10:05:03 PM
For insurance you could then use the repair kit to lacquer the new one and be doubly sure.

Yes.  Good advice, Ian.  Now it is bare metal in there, this sounds like a good idea!

robp

Quote from: benchmark51 on 11, January, 2016, 10:47:47 PM
The best remedy would be a new one, but as you say pricey. A second hand one could be even worse than the one you have, although you may be lucky. Heres one on ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321971375818?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Or make one. Maybe adapt one from a seven. Thats the route I would use personally

Just spotted this Adapt it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-SEICENTO-FUEL-TANK-NEW-OLD-STOCK-/141866875188?hash=item2107ecb934:g:xKQAAOSwxN5WYDPm

Yep, I'm definitely avoiding the second-hand Spit tanks.

I like the idea of getting a tank from another car.  If mine is beyond repair I think this maybe the way forward.  There is plenty of room for a slightly different tank in the Spit.

'The Gaffer'

Nice to see some more work being done on the car Rob. How long before it's on the road do you think?

benchmark51

Pretty sure that would be your best solution. Out of interest do you know the Spitfire tank dimensions?
I have had several Spits over the years, sold the last one in '91.

robp

Quote from: benchmark51 on 20, January, 2016, 09:32:35 PM
Pretty sure that would be your best solution. Out of interest do you know the Spitfire tank dimensions?

Yes, the tank is 870mm long, 240mm wide and 270mm high.

Iancider

QuoteI have had several Spits over the years, sold the last one in '91.

Is that why you still have the Biggles outfit Benchmark?  ;)

benchmark51

No, it's a replacement. Lost the original on a previous job

Gary RH7

Quote from: benchmark51 on 22, January, 2016, 10:40:37 PM
No, it's a replacement. Lost the original on a previous job

Look quite dapper with short hair Dave. Was Jane the ex? :P :P :P

benchmark51

I wish! Think my hair was short? You should see it now. Had a run in with Geronimo recently :o

robp

For insurance you could then use the repair kit to lacquer the new one and be doubly sure.

Since the inside of the tank is now clean and rust free, I decided to use some POR15 fuel tank sealer which stop any new rust forming and seal any leaks.

It is easy to use.  Simply pour into the cleaned tank, seal the hole and then slowly turn the tank over and over to coat the whole inside.  I bought the 473ML version.  I wasn't sure it would have been enough for the Spit's 8.5 gallon tank.  In fact it turned out to be more than enough and I drained off nearly half of the POR15 after coating the inside.  It says it takes about 96 hours to fully cure.

I did make a small schoolboy error.  As with other POR15 products they stick like the proverbial to everything; metal, garage floors, clothes and skin and won't come off.  And I did it all with no gloves on.  Very clever!  :-[ :-[ :-[

sanzomat

Hope it works!

And I hope you like your new look!

Moleman

I have a belt sander if you need some thing to help remove it.  :P

Iancider

Rob it sounds like this stuff is Polyurethane if it has bonded to skin - and it usually goes unhealthily black too.  If so and it is really bonded, try dissolving it with acetone or nail varnish remover.  As soon as it is softens wash with grit soap.  Your hands will be sore afterwards and you will need some hand-cream.  Another gentler way and 80% effective is to smother you hands with hand cream and put on vinyl gloves for a couple of hours then try the grit soap twice. 

It will come off in a couple of weeks by itself but that is the skin going with it.  Sympathy - I have done this with expanding foam!

Ian

Lucky Ed

Rob - I've got plenty of neat acetone if you need it, it's works a little better than nail varnish as it doesn't have any oil in it.

It's really good stuff, it'll even take s**t off a blanket...... so I'm told :o ;)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: robp on 29, January, 2016, 05:10:26 PM

It says it takes about 96 hours to fully cure.

Can you live that additional delay to the rebuild?

Cheers Adrian

peterw

I used that stuff on my tank after it sprang a small leak on a crack, does exactly what it says on the tin, recomend it

Bulldog Bri

Where did you pick that up from? ::)

8)

robp

Quote from: Daley Down Under on 29, January, 2016, 11:12:57 PM
Quote from: robp on 29, January, 2016, 05:10:26 PM

It says it takes about 96 hours to fully cure.

Can you live that additional delay to the rebuild?

Cheers Adrian

Yes, I know .  96 hours has ruined my whole project plan!   :D :D :D

robp

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 20, January, 2016, 09:23:19 PM
Nice to see some more work being done on the car Rob. How long before it's on the road do you think?

It'll be done when it's done, Phil.  I'd like to think it'll be ready for the summer....

.... but I said that last year!  ;D ;D :P

To be honest, it is quite far down the list of priorities at the moment.  I have a couple of small jobs to do on the Westfield so that takes precedence over any time I have in the garage.  We'll get there!  :-[

robp

The Spitfire has only gone and passed it's MOT today!  ;D ;D ;D

Holy cow.  We gonna finally be on the road this year!  :o 8) :P

I need to get the car resprayed now and get the new hood fitted but we're nearly there.  Only about 3 years late!  ??? :D ;)

Facial Hair Optional

Nice one Rob! I love those little spitties, if I were to buy a little classic I think it would be near top of my list of wants. Yellow I think (seriously) that was always the colour I fancied back in the day.

Always wanted one back when I was young but never got it and then I bought my Elan +2 so that was that!

Lucky Ed

Good work Rob 8)

It's reminded me to get the number of the guy who sprayed the Go Inspire car if you're still interested?

Daley Down Under

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: robp on 09, April, 2016, 04:35:32 PM
The Spitfire has only gone and passed it's MOT today!  ;D ;D ;D

Holy cow.  We gonna finally be on the road this year!  :o 8) :P

I need to get the car resprayed now and get the new hood fitted but we're nearly there.  Only about 3 years late!  ??? :D ;)

Well done Rob 8)

Bulldog Bri

Great news Rob. Just in time for the sun as well. ;D

8)

Gary RH7

Well done Rob. It will be good to see another old Triumph on the road. Is it standard equipment or are there any go faster mods?

sanzomat

Fantastic! Looking forward to seeing it.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 10, April, 2016, 07:55:52 PM
Well done Rob. It will be good to see another old Triumph on the road. Is it standard equipment or are there any go faster mods?

Yellow paint Gary, well proven to make any car faster!!!  :P :P

Gary RH7

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 10, April, 2016, 09:27:37 PM
Quote from: Gary RH7 on 10, April, 2016, 07:55:52 PM

Yellow paint Gary, well proven to make any car faster!!!  :P :P

What As a petrol additive? You are not suggesting I actually PAINT the car. Even Col is moving towards BLACK

robp

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 09, April, 2016, 07:26:15 PM
It's reminded me to get the number of the guy who sprayed the Go Inspire car if you're still interested?

Yes please, Ed.  I have heard he did a great job on that car.

Lucky Ed

Rob, I'll get his contact details today and let you know.

Iancider

Good to hear it's getting there!

Ian

robp

Well, a quick update...

I have been driving the Spitfire during the evenings and weekends.  I have been going further each time.  The car hasn't been on the road for over 10 years so it is shakedown testing at the moment.  It hasn't let me down yet!  8)

It looks very tatty at the moment as each panel is a different colour!  I have it booked in for a respray in a couple of weeks time so, hopefully, when I get it back I can think about taking the bag off my head when driving!  :P

Daley Down Under

Quote from: robp on 03, June, 2016, 10:39:11 AM
Well, a quick update...

I have been driving the Spitfire during the evenings and weekends.  I have been going further each time.  The car hasn't been on the road for over 10 years so it is shakedown testing at the moment.  It hasn't let me down yet!  8)

It looks very tatty at the moment as each panel is a different colour!  I have it booked in for a respray in a couple of weeks time so, hopefully, when I get it back I can think about taking the bag off my head when driving!  :P

Not sure a respray will make a difference re bag on head Rob  :D

Cheers Adrian

PS: good work

robp

The Spit project continues to move on at pace (of a glacier :-*).  Finally off to the paintshop today. :D

Daley Down Under

Excellent news - love those twin exhausts  :D

Cheers AT

'The Gaffer'