Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Where should a kit car newbie start?

Started by Grin-a-lot, 26, July, 2010, 06:30:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grin-a-lot

Hi guys and girls,

I've just joined the forum because I'm thinking of getting a kit car but to an uneducated newbie like me it seems like a minefield of choice!

I've seen cars from about £5k, can you really get a nice running model for that price?

From what I've seen so far I get the impression I could get a 1.6L Westfield or a Robin Hood S7 (with a slightly bigger engine) for that price.  I'm aiming to keep maintenance to a fairly low level and I don't think I'm worried about straight line speed, I think they'll all be fast enough to permanently glue a grin on my face!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Do I need to spend more?  Is a Robin Hood the way to go?  Any other suggestions/tips?

I'll look forward to joining you all on a meet sometime (hopefully) soon!

WALNUT

Hi F.Driver and welcome. Why not come along to one of our meets, and sit in a few cars, might help you to make up your mind, and im sure you will get some good advice.

Tony

Grin-a-lot

Thanks for that, probably a very good idea before spending lots of money. I'm in north Bristol so getting to a meet shouldn't be too taxing...

foggy

Hello frustrated,  This is my own personal view, like you I was chasing kit cars all over the place, e-bay and every where,did'nt have a clue about them, so I was a bit aprehensive. I joined the club and they gave me loads of advice and help. They pointed me in the right direction of a another club who knew  of a Robin Hood for sale. I have had it for 3 months,done nearly 1000 miles in it. OK I had to do bits and pieces to it and every body helped me out. I had a set budget of £3000, I bought the car and done all the bits on it and have now just gone over budget on it, by £150,it might not be the prettiest car  in the club, but I am having lots of fun with it, so I think with some help from the members, I am sure you will get something  for the sort of money you are talking about.My advice is don't rush into it and maybe one of the members will point you in the right direction.

David H

Do you like to fix cars? Want a fast car or a pretty car? Fancy some track days? Kit car ownership is so personal but you may never find out what you want until you actually do it. If you are not mechanically inclined or dont want to be (you can learn easy enough), I think most would agree that you will probably spend money on the car whatever it is, after you bought it.

Good fun

Grin-a-lot

Thanks for the advice, I guess I'm looking for a fast car that will put (and keep) a grin on my face everytime I drive it.  The occasional track day I imagine and would want to do a bit of maintenance and tinkering.  I built my last mountain bike and really enjoyed that, just not got the experience to tackle anything more complex. Spending a bit of money through life will be ok, initial outlay will probably need to be capped though!

I think I'll try to get to the meet on 7 aug to have a look at some of your cars and get some more sound advice!

Richard

Welcome oh Frustrated one  ;D

Quite a fun time hunting coming up for you, a few have bought recently so plenty of things will be fresh in their minds.

"fast" is quite subjective, fun can be had by driving no so fast cars nearer their limit than truly "fast" cars well within their limit, most kit cars are fairly nippy compared with the more usual road car but still speed limits are speed limits so I'm guessing you'll want to track it at some point.

Come along and have a look, I won't be around on the 7th but I'm sure plenty of other folks can point out the various differences in suspension geometry and set up etc. to give you a clue of some things to look for.

Don't forget you can always change parts of what you get with kit cars the only issue is the cost versus selling and buying another one.

Nearly everyone spends a little bit here and there and then a bit more as time goes on  ;D  I am and I'm not through IVA yet !

Dixie

Quote from: FrustratedDriver on 26, July, 2010, 06:30:37 PM
Hi guys and girls,

I've just joined the forum because I'm thinking of getting a kit car but to an uneducated newbie like me it seems like a minefield of choice!

I've seen cars from about £5k, can you really get a nice running model for that price?

From what I've seen so far I get the impression I could get a 1.6L Westfield or a Robin Hood S7 (with a slightly bigger engine) for that price.  I'm aiming to keep maintenance to a fairly low level and I don't think I'm worried about straight line speed, I think they'll all be fast enough to permanently glue a grin on my face!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!  Do I need to spend more?  Is a Robin Hood the way to go?  Any other suggestions/tips?

I'll look forward to joining you all on a meet sometime (hopefully) soon!
I know for a nice Cobra for sale. ;D

Grin-a-lot

Thanks for the offer of a Cobra but not quite what I am after (plus a good mate of mine would have me hung, drawn and quartered if I drove his dream car)! :o