Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Club BBQ at Shearwater Lake Cafe 5th July

Started by Moleman, 14, May, 2015, 09:44:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Facial Hair Optional

Option 7, I may just randomly materialise alongside the lake via my Star Trek transporter.

Of course it could all go horribly wrong and I may end up dematerialised in front of the TV for the British Grand Prix if this mornings countryside blat has worn me out already!!! (it's weird what sleep deprivation does to you at my age) :D

benchmark51

I'll watch the GP later. I don't think the Mclaren milkfloats are going to do much anyway. Jenson would be better off joining us for a burger! ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

The weight would just slow him down even more!

Have you seen how skinny those guys are?? Vettel I think it was whose stats they showed yesterday, he is 9 stone sumfin!! I was just over 11 when I was still at bloody school, my 16 year old is 3 stones heavier that Vettel for pitys sake!!!!

What do you want to be when you grow up son? An F1 driver dad. Forget it son and eat your burgers and lard there's a good lad!!

fullpint

Just had a down pour here!! Will keep an eye on it.. If it clears up then I may set off straight to the café leaving here before 1;30..

'The Gaffer'

Torrential rain for the last 40 mins in North Bristol. Phoned the cafe and apparently warm and sunny there - Which way is the rain going I wonder?? :-\

I suspect those doing the Keynsham meet have all decided to go home, wet. Shame, I was looking forward to this one.

Bulldog Bri

No we didn't!!! ;D We put the roofs on and set off. Not a bad little convoy over.

8)

benchmark51

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 05, July, 2015, 11:07:32 AM
The weight would just slow him down even more!

He wouldn't gain much weight from the burger I had. :o :o

He would be better off using Ratbag for the GP, at least he'd finish. Maybe a day or so after all the others, but still a finish ;D ;D

benchmark51

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 05, July, 2015, 01:40:39 PM
Torrential rain for the last 40 mins in North Bristol. Phoned the cafe and apparently warm and sunny there - Which way is the rain going I wonder?? :-\

I suspect those doing the Keynsham meet have all decided to go home, wet. Shame, I was looking forward to this one.

I can tell you where the rain went, I brought most of it home with me. My new roof worked a treat for the falling rain, useless on the horizontal/diagonal stuff. Had to keep stopping coz I couldn't see anything. My new wiper blades were pants and my front tyres cleared the water well, right under my right armpit! Sidescreens on the way ;)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 05, July, 2015, 05:27:06 PM
No we didn't!!! ;D We put the roofs on and set off. Not a bad little convoy over.

Fair play ;D

Nice Mustang there too.

fullpint

Great turn out.. However we got SOAKED to the skin coming back home  :D

Moleman

It was a good turnout. Thanks to everyone who braved the weather, it came down hard about 4 so everyone left about then. Crash test dummy went for a walk along the lake with his girlfriend & got caught right in it.  ???

paintman

Yes I did get drowned going back at 4,00pm!!.....no roof and water right across the road.

Had a good laugh though we got so wet, what with having to spit out water constantly as it came down my face.

The wife was half under the dash!!! :o

What fun open top driving is in Britain. ;D ;D

Sprint 7

Looks like I should have gone to today's outing and shown off my new Tigra where you can have open top motoring fun and then flick the powered top up to keep the rain out.
Looks like I've sold the Hood too all being well, thanks to Benchmark Dave. Cheers buddy. :P :P :P :P :P

Iancider

Some nice pics there.

It is also worth noting that Bri uploaded his in HiRes.  If you upload and select "do not change image size" you can click on the uploaded image to see it full size.  If you try it with Bri's (and Anna's), you will see just how good they are!

Another thing that works!  8)

Ian

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Iancider on 05, July, 2015, 10:52:40 PM
Some nice pics there.

It is also worth noting that Bri uploaded his in HiRes.  If you upload and select "do not change image size" you can click on the uploaded image to see it full size.  If you try it with Bri's (and Anna's), you will see just how good they are!

Another thing that works!  8)

Ian

Thanks Ian. It's the Samsung Note 3 I have, with a 13 million megapixel camera. Not bad for a phone camera ;D

Also a big thank you, to those that gave to my son James effort over the weekend. He did a sponsored 24 live gaming stream from midday Saturday in aid of Cancer Research. He has raised nearly ÂŁ2500 for his effort. If anyone else is wanting to add to this let me know.

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Wet?

Wet!???!!!!!

Don't bloody well talk to me about wet!!!!! Ever tried heeling and toeing in 6 inches of water?? You lot all put your roofs up and scarpered!!!

Thank you to Moleman for staying with me til the bitter end, cheers Colin!

Bulldog Bri

Think a few draining holes in the floor are on the cards now. ;D

Did feel sorry for you guys without any weather gear :'( If it's any consolation I've discovered quite a few new leaks in my bulkhead with all that water coming down so hard, I did get quite a soggy right foot. ???

8)

Iancider

We should indulge in a little self-congratulation - we did well to survive all of that.  My wipers died on the way back!

It was a big turn-out and in the face of the weather threat and people sacrificed the Grand Prix as well

"Never in the field of human conflict has so much been owned to so few..." perhaps

Ian

benchmark51

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 05, July, 2015, 11:20:44 PM
Think a few draining holes in the floor are on the cards now. ;D

Did feel sorry for you guys without any weather gear :'( If it's any consolation I've discovered quite a few new leaks in my bulkhead with all that water coming down so hard, I did get quite a soggy right foot. ???

8)
Lucky you, I wish I had a few leaks to let the water out! Colonic irrigation wasn't part of the plan  :o. Drain holes going in asap  :-X.

'The Gaffer'

Hairy Santa

A very enjoyable afternoon, good fun was had by all I believe even if it was a bit pricey

Bri's phone does give brill shots, just a shame it's not as good at weather forecasting  ( no rain )  Huh 8)

I was going in the Dax Busa but thanks to Paintman's advise I took the Daytona, thanks mate 

Time to dry everything out now as I did have a few drips come in from the upper window seals  ;) ;) ;)

Glad everyone got home OK even if half drowned  - know the feeling been caught many times

fullpint

Who has the Mustang? I passed is in a lay-by Would of stopped to see if they had a problem but with NO roof we were both soaked  :(

benchmark51

I dunno who that was, but I had to stop as I just couldn't see the road let alone find a layby :o

Cob68

Hi, Mustang owned by a friend at work, just by chance i went that way and stopped, his engine suddenly cut out, water all in the ignition coil, dried it out but could not get starter to run, i think an earthing problem. In the end had to get a breakdown truck, it was fine once dried out. He is getting it all re-wired and it needs it.

Facial Hair Optional

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHH!! I've just taken my socks off and I have webbed feet!!  :o

Thanks for the tarp btw Dave, I'll return it to you on Sunday at Queens.

madmarkymark

Well - it's taken me this long to dry out ... not sure about the Westy.  Yes - a great run out but the way back ...  All I can say is, don't hit a puddle at 30mph to find it is a small lake.  Result - biggest bow wave I've ever seen with most of it ending up on top of me and inside the cockpit.  Car cut out.  Didn't want to start.  Thought about abandoning it for the nearest pub but managed to bump start it backwards down a farm track (it was a last ditch 'do or die' moment).  Toyo R888s and vast tracts of standing water ... hair-raising bordering on suicidal  :o.  Oh well ... everyone back in one piece.  Thanks to all involved. 

Facial Hair Optional

Yes Mark it was a bit hairy was it not! Even on my skinny Uniroyal (the rain tyre!!) tyres I locked up once while braking at a roundabout. In the other car I'd be pretty dead for sure though I reckon. It doesnt even like 'mildly moist' let alone wet!  :'(

I'd do the whole day again in a heartbeat, being out in torrential rain in a totally open kit car was one hell of an experience and not as bad as I thought it would be. Once you have done it you will find the weather does not put you off so much in the future, which ultimately means more time out in the car and isn't that what we all want really???

That's one more item ticked off my bucket list!!!!!  :D

Moleman

I had to stop tp put my windscreen wiper back on as the rubber was making it's way off the arm.  ::)
I also had to keep manually wiping the inside of my windscreen, I think the heated screen is not working but how do I test it to find out for sure?  ???

Iancider

QuoteI think the heated screen is not working but how do I test it to find out for sure?

A heated screen will be about 5-15 Watts so you should be able to test its resistance in the range of about 8-24 ohms resistance.  Or you could put an ammeter in series and it should pass 0.5 to 1.5 amps.  The screen is operated by a push-button and timer relay - one push turns it on for about three minutes.  When you press the button with the ignition on but the engine off you should hear the relay click.  If it doesn't click the the fault is on the input side of the relay or the relay itself.  If it clicks and nothing happens then the fault is on the output side to the screen.  Timer relays usually have bright coloured cases to make them distinctive - Orange or Green typically.  If your loom is the same as mine then the relay sits on a spur of the loom above the transmission tunnel.

If you can't find it I,m happy to help.

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 09, July, 2015, 08:50:43 PM
I had to stop tp put my windscreen wiper back on as the rubber was making it's way off the arm.  ::)
I also had to keep manually wiping the inside of my windscreen, I think the heated screen is not working but how do I test it to find out for sure?  ???
First thing, check the fuse!

If it has a metal element running through the screen you should be able to test it's continuity with a meter if you can locate and access the two ends of the metal wire? That should eliminate a broken element.

Other possibility is the switch I guess. Find a good auto-electrician, they are worth their weight in gold reflective heat sheet!!  ;D

An off the wall idea but worth a go is to put a pack of frozen peas on the outside of the screen and hold them there with the screen switched on, you may well be able to see the element pattern appear on the inside of the screen against the cold screen if it is working.

Facial Hair Optional

PS. What is a screen?  ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

After last Sunday at the lake I think I should find out!!!

Moleman

Thanks for the tips guys. I will look into it.  8)