+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

BKCC to support a local charity?

Started by 'The Gaffer', 29, July, 2011, 11:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

After Mark (Dixie) mentioning this a while back I think it would be a good idea for us to support a local charity, not necessarily the typical larger ones.

I had a thought about the Great Western Air Ambulance http://www.greatwesternairambulance.com/page/what-we-do

They cover our area and do some great work saving lives - lets hope we never need them. They are a charity in their own right, and are funded entirely by public donations. The service needs to raise more than £1 million a year to keep flying.

I particularly like the Air Ambulance as it is in everyone's interest and not too personal, but I would welcome your views on this or any other local charity close to peoples hearts.

We can donate freely or collect at events.

YellaBelly

Like the sound of that Phil. Always thought that the Air Ambulance does such a great job and never gets the support from Government that they should.

It gets my vote.

JB

Dixie

gets my vote,

Good call.  Now we need to decide how we are gunna raise some cash.

Quarrycars

A great service, came close to home last week when the Air Ambulance landed next door to evacuate our neighbor when his ride-on mower crashed and burned.

He was in a lot of pain and it is 25 miles along bumpy country lanes to the nearest A & E.
Well worth supporting, amazing that it is sustained solely by voluntary contributions.
(Neighbour is OK just a lot of bruising).

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Dixie on 30, July, 2011, 10:46:49 PM
gets my vote,

Good call.  Now we need to decide how we are gunna raise some cash.

Agreed. It's like a graveyard in here at the moment but maybe someone will be along with a few ideas. How about a Bristol to Brighton run? Karting endurance?  ? ? ? ?

Quote from: Quarrycars on 31, July, 2011, 07:59:27 AM
A great service, came close to home last week when the Air Ambulance landed next door to evacuate our neighbor when his ride-on mower crashed and burned.

Wow, just goes to show, you never know when you might need them :o

Dixie

I like the idea of a Bristol to Brighton run, but quite along way.

Personally I don't fancy "Go-Karting".  Would rather use our cars.

Why dont we do something similar to the "bookbarn" run we did the other evening, low key but was quite good fun.

Could meet at a friendly pub, invite the ACKCC and the Hot rod crew.

Or Meet at a garden centre somewhere that serves breakfast/lunch  OR have a BBQ?

M

'The Gaffer'

Agreed Mark, Bristol to Brighton in a kit is a fair distance, but we do need something that little bit special to re-ignite the interest in the club and events - And raise some money too.

I'd like to organise an event big enough to maybe get press and TV coverage.

I will compose an email to all members for suggestions. In the meantime if anyone has an idea, please post up here.