News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

What does your other half think of your hobby?

Started by 'The Gaffer', 16, July, 2009, 09:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Just interested to see what members wifes, girlfriends, or boyfriends come to that think of your kit car hobby.

I'm very lucky in that Speedy J (My Missus) has a genuine interest in my car and the the club. We went to Stoneleigh together this year and intend to go next year as well.

Is your partner quite so accomodating and supportive of your hobby?

Richard

Family all good about it, some don't want uncomfortable seats being used  ;)

Teenage boys more than a bit keen  ;D

Household has had some reasonably "nippy" road cars over the years, suspect if we ever get this one built we'll be building one with a little more comfort next and of course a lot of power  ;D ;D

Mark G

I've known cars longer than I've known my girlfriend so she kinda has to like it as its something that I do. 

The only problem was the amount of time I spent away from home when building the car last year (12 miles away).

glosjammer

She loves it. But she doesnt want to drive it :(

EasyJimbo

Mine thinks I am nutter for doing it and thinks when I complete it, it will be a massive achievement. She does grumble from time to time about the amount it costs though..:-) Oh and all the bodywork in the dining room so I dont damage it..:-)

James

WALNUT

My wife dont want to drive it, or go out in it, but she dos like to see me go out in it, but dont seem so happy when I come back home with it. Is she trying to tell me something. 

YellaBelly

The boys think it's great, the missus loves them and keeps telling me to get a move on :)

She was really depressed at the show 'cos we were in the tintop. Didn't know what to get me for my birthday last month so I said get something for the car. She saw the chromed exhaust protectors at the show and said she's gonna get me one of those :D

She loves bling stuff and if I let her run the budget for the car we'd have the most expensive but shiny car in the land!!  ;D

Basically, my slow build is nothing to do with grief from the other half, just all the damn travelling with work. Wish I could inherit some decent lolly so I could slow down a bit :(

stupott901

My missus is quite understandable even more so now its built and I dont spend so much money on it, she just wishes it had a windscreen, but she wont drive it

Bulldog Bri

Anyone know any Avalible, Slim, Blonde between 35-40 that loves kitcars let me know  ;D

Ok, so I might not be able to use the dinning table any more to wrok on  ;D

8)

YZFMINI

The Mrs doesn not complain about the money as it mine + it's going out slower now.. she did not complain about the long time i spent in the garage as she was able to get on with here own hobby(jewelery making.)
she likes it very much. she will go in it (if i promis to take it easy) but you know when you get that erge to put you'r foot down, i have scared her a few times by the sheer speed / acceloration but thats only because she is not drivig.
If i let here drive it im sure she would have a bigger grin than me..
She likes her cars and even used to have a mini untill not long a go (became a major un repairable rust bucket) and she had no brake assisted servo on a 1310cc..
So i got her to have a mini drive it fast and come to shows with me and now i got her into driving a motorcycle..
He He.. my best friend (well she is the wife now.)
Yzfmini

Hairy Santa

Must ask her indoors what she thinks of my hobbies one day

of course it will have to be done in the workshop  - whilst I'm using a angle grinder  :D  ;)

'Mendip Wurzel'

I was going to buy a motor bike but my wife was not keen, so I went the kitcar route. Definitely a good move, much more fun and my wife also likes the kitcar.
Kevin

paintman

The wife thought it was great when I bought my car at first as it was ready made.

She thought I would just open the garage door....drive it about for a few hours over the  weekend then put it away till the next time.............................................................she's not so happy about it now!!

I did put her on the insurance but she can't touch the pedals.........shame. ;D

Quarrycars

For me most of the fun is building the car and I am quite happy to sell it and move on to the next one when completed.  The missus complains she doesn't get to ride in it enough.  She wasn't with me when I didn't have a tin top and only drove KCs in all weathers.  I remember ending up on the top of a hedge one night on the A5 in the snow with a Myers beach buggy!

andygtm

Nanette would rather I did not have "other interests" but since we have been together (25 yrs)I have always had a car(minis) to play around with. The main problem is the fact that I modify them and then you attract attention. The colour seems to be an issue too as I like yellow cars. She too has always been insured on all of my cars so it's her choice to enjoy or moan about them. It can be difficult making meets and events sometimes due to family commitments. To be fair she is very good so long as I don't take the p**s.

Dixie

Mich just accepts that if I dont have something to play with I become a miserable sod!!  (No comments from you Santa)

She didnt like the 3 wheelers that I had, but loves the Cobra, although she has to fight with my daughter to get a ride in it.  Because I am away during the week I have to be careful about how much time I spend in the garage, but generally she is very relaxed about what I do.  As for the money side, thats a differant story.  She is the finacial director in our house and often reminds me how much I spend, but as I don't smoke, don't drink etc and lead a fairly mundane life style she has little to complain about.  But all in all she is pretty cool about things.

Denzle

No, no problem with my second time around missus.   

Wish I had met her years ago, before the first one.

She doesnt mind one bit coming second past the checkers to my JBA Falcon Sports.

Plus she enjoys the ride.   

................"Im talking about my car chaps".........................

peterw

At least the wife knows where i am ,,,, In the garage!!

David H

Daley Down Under

Dave,

I'm not so sure about the obsession bit these days.  I spotted a speck of dust on your passenger side footwell mat yesterday.

Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 08, June, 2010, 08:48:52 PM

Dave,

I'm not so sure about the obsession bit these days.  I spotted a speck of dust on your passenger side footwell mat yesterday.

:))  :))  :)) Surely you were using a magnifying glass Adrian.

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: David H on 08, June, 2010, 07:27:18 PM
Apparently i'm obsessed. Need I say more?

That would be what my Ex would say if I ever got interested in anything for more than a week.  >:(

8)

David H

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 08, June, 2010, 08:48:52 PM

Dave,

Adrian

Did you? You could have told me. I'm so totally embarrassed