News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

spartan enquiry

Started by garry h, 18, September, 2013, 08:31:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garry h

Hi guys does anyone know if I can change the Ford  four speed gearbox for a 5 speed  gearbox. I think I read somewhere that if I keep the original bellhousing I could change the box.
Took the Spartan out for a real good run today and felt it could do with an extra gear.
Also the Smiths fuel gauge doesnt seem to like the ford Cortina sender unit is there anywhere that I can get a new sender unit that will fit the Cortina tank and match the gauge.  :) :) :)

'The Gaffer'

Maybe a diff with different ratio?

Hairy Santa

as Phil said a different axle ratio if your keeping the 4 speed box, larger wheels and tyres would help in the same way

If you go 5 speed box make sure 5th is a overdrive gear ( over one to one in 5th) or all the work will be for nothing

Bulldog Bri

I changed the 4 speed to a 5 on the Merlin and Darren's Westfield. What will be needed is a shorter propshaft, different clutch plate, and to move the gearbox mounting points on your chassis back. You use the same bellhousing from the 4 speed.  ;D

8)

garry h

Thanks guys Ive got to change the wheels anyway as Im using the ones that came with the car, 13 inch  so might go down the bigger wheels route first.Theres plenty of room in the arches so they will fill the arches better.  :) :)