+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

robin hood 2b

Started by fidodido, 08, March, 2015, 11:33:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fidodido

Hi all fidodido here I'm trying to sort my dash and seat belt points out can anyone help 

benchmark51

Everyone on this club is willing to help,in varying degrees. :)

Give some details and we'll see what we can do ;D

fidodido

Well I have started the dash well damo has I covered it in foam now I have bin told that I have to have a 19m radius around it for the iv a damo has helped me out a lot with this project I have bin told that I have to have a big plate on the floor for the seat belt points to  >:(

Bulldog Bri

For my dash I've fitted some plastic pipe to the lower edge to give me a good radius and across the top made up a padded cover to over lap the hard edge of the scuttle.

The seat belts mounts will depend of what type of belts your fitting as to what and where they will be attached.

8)

fidodido

Thanks for that and I'm using 4 point harness

peterw

Hi Fidodido, go to hightrees.pw (type in to your brouser) and select Valerie album, these are build photos of my 2b there are shots of the seatbelt mountings and dash etc which might give you some ideas. sorry about the slow upload speed !!!

Pete

fidodido

Thank you so much for your reply it's a big help

Iancider

Fidodido,

For the IVA they use a test sphere - in fact half a sphere on a handle to test in the footwell area to see if they can touch and sharp areas.  One critical area is in the underside edge of the dash which has to be 19mm radius or bigger.  It helps to understand why.  In an accident they are looking for anything that would cut flesh - hence the need for a radius.  The need for a big radius on the underside of the dash is so that if the dash contacted a thigh, there is reduced risk of blood-vessels being severed.

Hands can collide with the dash as well so safety radii are required there so switches and bezels need to be rounded too but there is an area behind the steering wheel which is screened so the test sphere cannot contact and the rules are relaxed.  They will also look for anything that could come loose and expose a sharp edge on impact.  Look also at head level if you have a screen for sharp edges - sometimes overlooked.  That includes the interior mirror.

Seat belt fixings have to withstand 10 times your weight on impact so have to be very strong and they have to be positioned such that the load is taken across your pelvis and shoulders without risk of cutting your neck.  If the upper belts pass through the seat, the seat needs to be E-marked to prove it can take impact loadings. 

If you would like some face to face help I am willing.

Regards
Ian

peterw

Also take lots of photos, especially the parts that you can't easily see around seatbelt anchors and seat fixings and take them to the IVA for the tester to see. For The lower dash radius I used water pipe insulation the stuff you get from B&Q in meter lengths with a split down it. Glued it on the dash and covered it. They will also check up under the dash for sharp edges that could contact the knees so i formed some thin ali to cover everthing and screwed it in place it also hides a multitude of sins. Follow the IVA manual, it's a good cure for insomnia

fidodido

Hi lan thanks for all your help where abouts are you from would be nice to talk face to face  some time I have damo helping me a lot with this car and he has been a great help I'm try to get this car sorted ASAP because I'm getting married next year and the girlfriend wants to be briven to the wedding in it don't ask we why  ;D my mobile is 07967105591 if you would like to get in touch
Thanks again
Stuart

Bulldog Bri

Here's how my dash looked as I was making it.

Along the bottom edge I sliced along some plastic pipe then slotted the pipe over the lower edge, then padded and covered it

8)

damouk

Just a quick update on stu's 2b, the paperwork seems to have gone through ok and the test has been booked for the 10th march. The car is pretty much there, the main thing left to do is to get it running properly, it idles and revs ok but seems to bog down or die when you jab the throttle from idle. If you tickle the throttle it seems to be ok.  Are there any Webber gurus in the club that could point us in the right direction?

Iancider

From my Weber experience of a couple of decades ago.....

Two possibilities:
(a) and air leak on the underside of the carb body or a vacuum take-off port left open
(b) the pump jets are not working.

On the latter you will see at the top of the venturii there are downward pointing jets and they squirt fuel into the airflow with big throttle openings.  If they are not working check that the actuator linkage is present and working and the are operated by diaphragm valves under the screw-on covers.  Presuming it is a twin-choke, the second choke operates on the biggest throttle openings.

They are pretty simple when you understand them.  Find out which model they are and look up on Google or YouTube - there is loads out there.

Spares are easy to get and if the carbs are old it is not a bad idea to buy a whole set of new valves and gaskets - they are not expensive.

Also check the ignition timing - if it is wildy retarded it might do this too.

Good luck
Ian

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: damouk on 06, February, 2016, 09:55:30 AM
Just a quick update on stu's 2b, the paperwork seems to have gone through ok and the test has been booked for the 10th march. The car is pretty much there, the main thing left to do is to get it running properly, it idles and revs ok but seems to bog down or die when you jab the throttle from idle. If you tickle the throttle it seems to be ok.  Are there any Webber gurus in the club that could point us in the right direction?

Had a similar problem with my Webber. Must have spent hours stripping it down and cleaning every jet and hole I could find. Either I just had the wrong jets or something else was wrong. I gave up trying to sort it and just bought new.

8)

damouk

The carb is the standard 32/36. Stu purchased a jet and gasket which didn't make any difference, he also managed to get hold of a worn carb which was better but not 100% and also had an idle problem. We were going to swap the jets from the worn one to the original but thought we would seek some advice. I was wondering if the jet set was correct for the engine capacity.

I was thinking maybe a new carb would be the way forward, he does have a set of twin 40's he was going to fit later but they are also an unknown state :-\

benchmark51

What engine have you got? Is it a xflow?

Iancider

Another possibility is Interpro at Thornbury.  They will jet it, repair it, and run it on the rolling road after setting the timing - about £250 for  the whole experience.

damouk

It's a 2l pinto Dave.

That's another option Ian, however it not being iva'd yet means its difficult to get anywhere

benchmark51

2L pinto, is it all standard, cam ect? I have a 2L pinto, haven't got round to using yet but it has a pair of dellortos on it. The standard pinto carb shouldn't be hard to sort though.

fidodido

Hi all and thanks damo for putting up a post about my carbs and thanks for your replys not long now until the test just hope I can get it sorted out before then

damouk

There's a receipt for a cam but not sure if it's standard or not. I've looked on the internet and it seems straight forward but not lack of knowlege about the carb I.e. if it's jetted correctly could spend days messing with it

fidodido

Hi I have a set of them to was going to put them on mine after the test .had a go with the card today still no joy will have another go in the morning