AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

HELP!!?? Facet electric fuel pump issues - maybe??

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 24, November, 2015, 11:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

I am still having no luck getting the ASBO to fire up. I am starting to suspect a fueling issue.

The car has a Facet pump to lift and supply fuel from the tank in the nose of the car to the rear where the original bike pump sits in the swirl pot at the rear of the engine and supplies the fuel rail.

I'm pretty sure the Facet fuel pump is a lot noisier than I seem to recall from before, also I can hear fuel running back into the fuel tank!! I took the petrol cap off and sure enough, although I can't actually see the stream of fuel cos I am looking down a narrow tube of course, I can see the fuel in the tank sloshing and rippling around as a result of the fuel running back into the tank from the top and hear the stream of fuel like a running tap!!!

It seems as if the pump is pumping it out of the tank and straight back in again. The tank is only 25% full so the sound is very obvious and I'm sure I'd have noticed that before if it was doing it when the car was running ok.

I have never seen a pump do that before. Maybe there is a blockage somewhere? I know nowt about Facet fuel pumps though or how that one is plumbed in (til I get the bonnet off and have a look) so am guessing really. If anyone knows anything at all about this kind of thing any advice would be very welcome indeed please  :)

longtimecoming

These pumps are sealed units, except for the filter on one end. Best thing is 'Bin it' and buy higher capacity one. The Facet Gold will produce up to 8Psi.The basic one will only go to 5Psi. It may help to fit a non return valve in the line just after the tank and before the pump, this should stop fuel running back Good luck.

Gary RH7

Quote from: longtimecoming on 24, November, 2015, 11:50:29 PM
It may help to fit a non return valve in the line just after the tank and before the pump, this should stop fuel running back Good luck.

Dont do what I did and fit the non return valve up near the carb. Engine fires for a few seconds but all the fuel after that has flown from the valve back down the pipe to the tank. Do as Roy said and put it near the tank. They are only about £5.00 max.

I will soon be electric anyway ;D

sanzomat

Trying to understand how this fuel pump system works. If the original bike pump is providing the fuel to the injection rail (good idea as it will be at the right pressure so no need to regulate) and the facet pump is just supplying fuel to the swirl pot then the facet pump doesn't need to achieve any kind of pressure, just enough flow rate to keep the swirl pot full? If so, and the swirl pot isn't under pressure then the facet would need to have a return line to the tank and when nothing was being used 'cos the engine isn't running then everything pumped to the swirl pot would have to come back to the tank? or is the swirl pot effectively pressurised to the rating of the facet pump and the facet pump should off when it the swirl pot is full?

benchmark51

I would be more suspicious of the electrics. If you are getting fuel returned then you must be pumping it in the first place. Is there fuel pressure at the fuel rail, if so then check the injectors are working. I would check all connectors and wiring are good. Also are you getting ignition spark?

'The Gaffer'

Facial Hair Optional

The Facet pump is a gold one so must be the 8psi one I guess. I have discoivered today that it sends the fuel to the swirl pot and enters at the bottom, once the pot is full it flows back out of a connection at the top back to the fuel tank at the front of the car, so the fuel running back in like this is normal. It is just more noticeable cos the engine isn't running I guess. Which means either the old bike pump inside the swirl pot isn't working properly or I have no spark (most likely)

Dave (sanzomat) spot on yet again!

So, next job is to check for spark as many of you guys suggested. Not a two mintute job on this car unfortunately so I'll get it done soon as I have an hour to do it and let you know.

Being as the misfire developed gradually over a month or two and the Facet pump is working ok, it seems to be pointing to a weak or no spark. Most likely one or more of the coil packs breaking down over that month or so period I would think. I think it unlikely that the bike pump in the swirl pot is broken but you never know.

Battery is now fully charged (not easy to get to at all!!) so I will remove the air box and all the ancilliary pipes, wires etc and check out the coils next. Hope it's only one or two if it is them as they are about £40 a pop new!! You can get used ones cheap on ebay but I suspect that would be a false economy.

Thank you guys for all the valuable input and help, I will post an update some time cos I am really peed off not being able to drive it atm. The Tiger will be out for a run next though... good old Tiger Cat!!!  :D

PS I know this is all simple stuff to most of you guys but I am still catching up after 35 years of not working on cars! Bit rusty but learning fast. I really do appreciate all the help and hopefully others reading this kind of stuff learn and get help from it too. Cheers!!