News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

blow torch

Started by benchmark51, 04, January, 2016, 11:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

I am looking for a good blow torch. I have an old bullfinch on a calor bottle, but doesn't get hot enough. I am looking at a Rothenberger superfire 2 at the moment and using Mapgas with it. Anyone got any recommendations?

longtimecoming

'The Gaffer'

benchmark51

Looks like the one to have, so just ordered the Rothenberger superfire 2 with Map gas. They reckon that Map gas is a bit hotter than propane and is only pennies dearer. I'll give it a go and see. ;D

'Mendip Wurzel'

I had a Mapgas burner for Christmas.... got it for the same reason in that Butane does not burn hot enough for some applications. Haven't used it yet...

Iancider

I can vouch for MAPGAS.  You can braze with it.  MAPGAS is generally too hot for soldering and plumbing though.  But almost any torch will run either gas - MAPGAS needs more air but that is achieved just by the force of the flame drawing in more air.  I spent out on a Piezo self-igniter torch which has been a good investment.  The flame goes out every time I release the trigger and you don't have to worry about the risk of fire any more.  Relighting -you  just need to press the trigger.

Ian

benchmark51

I want to make joints in aluminium up to 3mm. Also to 'fill in' unwanted drill holes in thinner sheet. I have seen it done at Stoneleigh last year and have watched utube videos. I get close to it but not quite good enough and have decided it is due to lack of heat. The old Bullfinch is ok for soldering copper joints ect and I have 650c hot air guns for other jobs. Hopefully the Rothenberger wil do it.

benchmark51

benchmark51

Got my new torch now. Have bought the superfire 2 and it really is good. For the difference in price of refill bottles, I can't see the point in using propane as you can control the heat level. There is an adapter available that you can use to connect to hose and a big propane bottle, also one for using the small canisters. As it goes out when you put it down and instantly re-lights for re-use, you save on gas too.