News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Wireless steering wheel controls - Mk1

Started by robp, 12, January, 2016, 09:59:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robp

I have been looking at how to have buttons on the steering wheel to operate common controls; indicators, horn, etc.  I have a quick release steering wheel so running wires down the column was no good.  What I didn't want was to have one of those old style curly telephone cables flapping around either.  Therefore, it needs to be wireless.  8)

I didn't want the whole wheel covered in buttons and switches like a F1 car.  I just need it for the basic stuff.
1. Left indicator.
2. Right indicator.
3. Horn.
4. Flash lights.

I bought a 12 volt, 4 channel remote control like this.

The unit can be set in 2 modes:-
Latching: Where a button press switches on the relay and another press switches it off.
Momentary: Where the relay is on only when the button is held down.

Of course, latching is ideal for indicators but momentary is required for the horn and flashing the lights.  Fortunately, with the jumpers in the right place, you can have 2 latching and 2 momentary which is ideal for me.  :D

I took the keyfob apart and soldered some wires on to the circuit board inside.  I took the wires outside and connected to buttons on the wheel.

The relay unit comes in a little enclosure so I installed that under the dash and connected into the lights and horn.

I have mounted the buttons on a plate bolted behind the wheel.  Here is the view from the driving position.  I only have the two indicators at the moment.  Hopefully the other buttons will arrive from EBay soon and I can finish the job.

It works very well.  You can even take the wheel off the car, walk away and still operate the horn and lights although I'm not sure why you would want to do that!  :P  I have put buzzers on the indicators too so there is an audible warning they are flashing so I don't leave them on unnecessarily when driving.  ;)

Other job left to do is spray the keyfob on the back of the wheel black rather that that horrible brown mess it is at the moment!  ::) ::)

robp

Although this wireless system is up and working I still have to finish fitting the buttons for the horn and flash.  However, things have moved on already.  There is someone on another forum who is also building wireless steering wheel controls but a 21st century version.  His is based around a Arduino micro-controller.  I have been playing with Raspberry Pis and Arduinos for a while and so I have followed his work with interest. 

Watch this space for a Mk.2 version!  ;D ;D

damouk

Good work Rob, nice use of of the shelf technology, do you know if the wireless is coded? I was undecided as to what to go for when I made my lighting controller but ended up going the old pic route in the end, it could be adapted to use a wireless interface for some of the buttons fairly easily hmmmm.....

sanzomat

Love it. Really inventive. It would be great if several people had the same system as you could troll people by operating various functions on their car when they were in range!

Iancider

QuoteYou can even take the wheel off the car, walk away and still operate the horn and lights although I'm not sure why you would want to do that!

I can think of a few good pranks!

Good work Maestro!

Moleman

Sounds really good mate. When you got it sorted please make two of them.  8)

robp

Quote from: damouk on 12, January, 2016, 04:39:23 PM
Do you know if the wireless is coded?

Yes. 12 bit encryption which gives about half a million different codes so it'll unlikely someone else will have the same code!  8)

benchmark51

Sorry, but I think I am missing something here :-X. What is the point of this? Are you too far away from the regular indicator switch and horn?

sanzomat

Quote from: benchmark51 on 13, January, 2016, 12:30:48 PM
Sorry, but I think I am missing something here :-X. What is the point of this? Are you too far away from the regular indicator switch and horn?

Must be for track days - horn and headlight flasher get used a lot when slow people get in the way. Indicators only get used when you are letting someone pass though so I can't imagine Rob would use them much?

robp

Quote from: benchmark51 on 13, January, 2016, 12:30:48 PM
Are you too far away from the regular indicator switch and horn?
Fair point.  Nothing is very far away in a seven! 
I don't know about your car but the Westfield has no flash and the indicators are on a little switch on the dash (which ain't too bad to be fair).  The horn, however, is on a switch in the right corner of the dash and is isn't great when you need it in a hurry in a situation.  :(  It needs to be on the wheel.

Quote from: sanzomat on 13, January, 2016, 01:53:27 PM
Must be for track days - horn and headlight flasher get used a lot when slow people get in the way.
;D ;D I'm not sure flashing lights and blasting the horn on a trackday would please the marshalls too much!  :D ;D

benchmark51

Ah, now I understand. Ratbag has the light switches/flasher/dipswitch/indicators/washer/wipers/horn and hazard on the column.

Facial Hair Optional

Great idea Rob, I like it!

I'm fortunate in that the ASBO has the original motorbike switches all within fingertip reach. Of course they don't rotate with the steering wheel like yours do though. You could market that idea as a kit maybe mate!?  8)

sanzomat

Quote from: robp on 13, January, 2016, 03:30:02 PM

Quote from: sanzomat on 13, January, 2016, 01:53:27 PM
Must be for track days - horn and headlight flasher get used a lot when slow people get in the way.
;D ;D I'm not sure flashing lights and blasting the horn on a trackday would please the marshalls too much!  :D ;D

Wasn't meant seriously just in case anyone didn't realise - must start using emoticons....

Daley Down Under