News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Oil Cooler for the Hood

Started by paintman, 20, January, 2016, 03:57:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paintman

Just got myself an oil cooler off eBay.....10 row and Dixie has been good enough to flush it through, fit new pipes and supply  me with a stat and housing plus a sandwich plate he had hanging around his garage......what a mate!! ;)

My question is this, will the cooler help with keeping the engine temperature down when I give it a "spirited run-out" using
high revs? ::) ::)

Moleman

It worked on mine mate. It made a very big difference especially on hot track days.  :)

Iancider

Gary RH7

Coincidence or what :o

Just fitted one to my Hood. Got the kit from Rimmer Bros. Bit expensive but they were the only ones that did a transfer plate that was assured to fit the old Triumph. It sits a bit high but the pump gets the oil up there so now I am just fitting a couple of fans on it to assist air flow.

paintman

I'll be interested to find out if it helps with your cooling problem. ::)

From all I've read it should certainly help at constant high speed or if your giving the old girl a bit of a thrashing
and a half!! :P

Take it you fitted a stat???

Bit laid up at the moment but when I get back out into the garage and install everything we'll compare results.

Bulldog Bri

I fitted a cooler last year it's made a big difference to my car.

8)

Gary RH7

Quote from: paintman on 21, January, 2016, 12:49:14 PM
Take it you fitted a stat???

Bit laid up at the moment but when I get back out into the garage and install everything we'll compare results.

I have a stat on the fan for the main radiator. I was just going to take a tap off that so they both start at the same time. No problem with current.

paintman

Trouble is Gary, the water temperature and the oil temperature will vary.

If your in a traffic jam and the fan comes on its telling you that the water temperature is getting hot not the oil.

You need a stat in-line on an oil pipe from the oil filter housing (sandwich plate).

The oil then will circulate around the engine as normal or if oil temperate rises above the oil stat. rating it will
redirect the oil around your new cooler.

What you don't want is unnecessary cooling of the oil........simples!! :D

sanzomat

All sounds very complicated. I might look into these one day but not sure where to put it on a mid engined front radiator car. I know from GTMOC that people seem to have mostly used laminova oil coolers. As I understand it they cool the oil by exchanging heat with the radiator coolant but not really sure how that works unless the oil is much hotter than the coolant?

Iancider

A separate oil cooler is best and the engine oil under load can be a lot hotter than the water jacket so a small oil rad will lose a lot of heat due to the large heat differential.  You do need an oil stat as Paintman says and they are as cheep as chips and a doddle to fit.

Ian

Gary RH7

Thanks for the info about the stat guys.
Rimmer Bros do an in line waxstat for £56.00.

Anyone had experience with these or could recommend going this way?

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 22, January, 2016, 09:59:06 PM
Thanks for the info about the stat guys.
Rimmer Bros do an in line waxstat for £56.00.

Anyone had experience with these or could recommend going this way?

I've got one of these, albeit a different design, and it works very well. Merlin have the same Mocal stat for about £42 delivered, or you could pick it up if you're passing.

Merlin recommended Aeroquip push on fittings when I got mine which look a bit suspect with no hose clamps, but they have stood the test of time and the oil has got VERY hot over the last year.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/mocal-oil-thermostat-with-1-2-inch-push-on-tails-m-ot-8po

paintman

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 22, January, 2016, 10:20:48 PM
I've got one of these, albeit a different design, and it works very well. Merlin have the same Mocal stat for about £42 delivered, or you could pick it up if you're passing.

Merlin recommended Aeroquip push on fittings when I got mine which look a bit suspect with no hose clamps, but they have stood the test of time and the oil has got VERY hot over the last year.

Hi Edd, where exactly have you got your cooler positioned, in the nose-cone or in front of the rad?

Pic. would be very helpful if possible mate. ;)

Lucky Ed

Quote from: paintman on 23, January, 2016, 10:25:59 PM

Hi Edd, where exactly have you got your cooler positioned, in the nose-cone or in front of the rad?

My oil cooler is positioned in front of the rad, right at the front of the nose cone, so it's nearly touching the grille.

I'll post some photos later today.

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 24, January, 2016, 08:55:41 AM
Quote from: paintman on 23, January, 2016, 10:25:59 PM

My oil cooler is positioned in front of the rad, right at the front of the nose cone, so it's nearly touching the grille.

I'll post some photos later today.

Pics as requested Paintman

16 row cooler with extra opening cut in the nosecone to get airflow to the bottom of the cooler.

Rubber mounted cooler with ducting added to the side of the rad to direct the airflow

Remote filter with Aeroquip push on fittings. New fan controller in the top hose.

Tight fit to get it all in the nosecone.

Hope this helps

Ed

paintman

Thanks a lot Edd.....very helpful mate! ;)

paintman

Ran the Hood yesterday in the sun and am pleased to report that the new oil cooler worked like a dream! 8) ;D

Temperature never went over 90 degrees at 6500 - 6750 rpm. :D

Oil pressure did drop to 35psi when the stat opened but I suspected the guage as it is a new engine.

After I installed a new guage and clean pipe it ran happily without dropping below 45lbs which is what it should
run at! ;)