News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Dipstick problem

Started by paintman, 07, February, 2016, 11:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

Dunnit. Years ago I replaced an engine in a brand new Cortina. Original engine returned to Ford and new crated engine was fitted. No-one said the engine came ready filled with oil, so it got a double dose! Was fine on tickover, but at normal driving speed I fogged out Keynsham centre!  Got away with that one though

paintman

YOU ARE A DIPSTICK!!.....Lol.... ;D ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 17, February, 2016, 03:10:49 PM
27.3mm ;D

Quote from: paintman on 17, February, 2016, 04:31:41 PM
No, that's to much!

26.84mm I recon. ::) :P

Had another rough day yesterday - that has cheered me up!! You guys are so f'in funny!!!!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: paintman on 17, February, 2016, 06:26:43 PM
The actual measurement is pretty close to the crank:

The 4-Cylinder Engine Short Block High-Performance Manual: ...:

Sectioned diagram of a sump with the crankshaft swing clearly shown, the ... and oil level in relation to the crankshaft (minimum 1⁄4-3⁄8in/6-9mm clearance). ... and the tray is 1⁄4in/6mm away from from the maximum swing of the crankshaft.

I would have guessed at more like 3/4". ::) :-[

Only 6 to 9mm, I am shocked! Thought it would have been way more than that tbh. The things you learn on this forun eh!  ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: paintman on 17, February, 2016, 07:51:23 PM
Yea ;D......3/4" would be safer......just read the reprocussions of over filling the sump......scary to say the least! ::)

Exactly!! See there was a point to my seemingly stupid question ha ha ha!!!

In all seriousness I bet there have been more than a few people who have thought "I know, I'll put some extra oil in my car above that silly little top line on that stick thing so it'll last longer before it gets too low next time"..... and regretted it!!!

benchmark51

Quote from: paintman on 18, February, 2016, 12:09:59 AM
Oh well, I suppose thats better than a LARDASS ;D ;D

benchmark51

When I overfilled the Cortina, it was because I didn't know they were shipped full of oil. Also in them days we would be working on several cars at a time. I did start it up, warm it up and no sign of overfil until I roadtested it. Any engine I've sent by courier had to be empty and double wrapped in polythene, strapped to a pallet before they would collect. :-X

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 18, February, 2016, 12:26:31 PM
Quote from: paintman on 18, February, 2016, 12:09:59 AM
Oh well, I suppose thats better than a LARDASS ;D ;D

When I hear that term I always think of the film Stand By Me. Great little flick that is.