News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

emissions question

Started by benchmark51, 13, March, 2016, 11:01:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

benchmark51

If I change the engine in Ratbag from a xflow to a duratec st170, what are the implications for the emissions. The engine will be around 2004/5 and will have all the emissions control stuff on it, do I have to use all that ie cat ect

damouk

I believe the emissions requirements will be the same as it is now for the next mot, so should be ok, it probably more depends if the ECU is happy with it all being removed.

sanzomat

I believe Damo is correct - once your car has been IVA/SVA'd and registered that sets the standard by which it is measured at future MOTs regardless of what engine you put into it. As Ratbag has an age related plate pre catalyst it will always be tested on the rules of a car of that age. If it was IVA/SVA'd and took an age related reg beyond the catalyst date (and the age of the engine installed at the time of the test is one of the key factors in determining what age the car is deemed to be) then the emissions that the car will thenceforth be tested against at MOT will be recorded on the V5 and MOT database. If your car was one of these and you upgraded the engine you'd have to keep the emissions within your original IVA limits for an MOT pass. As your car was registered with an age pre-cat you are just tested on the rules of the age your car was deemed to be regardless of what upgrades you do. Put a V8 in!

CC Cyclone

Yep as above, all true. Emissions set at registration, you can put a brand new engine in if you want and emissions requirement won't change so you can ditch the cat. The problem will be that i think that the oem ecu won't be happy without the cats, so you are sort of stick with using them, although you can get small sport cats that would do the job, or ask on locostbuilders to see if anyone has used oem ecu and ditched cats? Would be much better without them....

Have you considered megasquirting it? Would cost a bit for a built ecu but it would be offset in time and buggeration of stripping out all the redundant parts of the loom and getting it all to work?