+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New to the Club: Hi

Started by wraxall, 17, November, 2010, 12:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraxall

Hi, Just joined the club so I can speak to and meet like-minded people and get help / offer advice where possible. I have bought a previously built kit car; a Robin Hood 2b with stainless body and chassis. Fitted with a 2 litre Pinto with race cam and twin 45 DCOEs. One of the best built I have seen; hence my buying it. Having been all over the place, I found it within 5 miles of home!!

I guess my one bugbear is that the tickover is VERY high and climbs by itself (often as high as 2,800rpm). It has been on a rolling road (previous to me) and is fast with excellent response throughout....it's just that tickover!! >:( Have checked the jets are about right (they are) and adjustment of the tickover screws does not help at all. If anyone has any ideas or comments, I'd be very pleased to hear from you.

Looking forward to getting to a meet at some stage too.

Cheers, Mark

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club.

Things will be a little quiet around here for a while as the season has just ended but you are welcome to post a couple of pics of the car and join the fun.

You may want to look at the seal between the carbs and the head, I gather they can become loose and allow air in effecting tickover. That said I dont think the bolts have to be really tight as the seals are supposed to flex a bit.

I may be talking rubbish but maybe someone else may come along with more experience.

Best bet is to start a new thread in the tech talk section..

Look forward to seeing you soon.

YellaBelly

Hello and welcome to the club.

I think I agree with Phil, sounds possible you have an air leak but as he said, someone with more knowledge will be along soon :)

BTW, you didn't say where you are located.

JB

dave_bence

Grin-a-lot

Hello and another welcome.  I can't help particularly because I don't understand most things about my car and yours does sound a bit possessed  >:(

QuoteThat said I dont think the bolts have to be really tight as the seals are supposed to flex a bit.

I have had carb tuning snags and one thing i learned is that the carbs don't want to be rigidly mounted to the engine, the vibration will cause a bit of damage over time and can cause trouble with the fuel in the bowel wobbling around and confusing the float level.

Like G&Toniq says, too loose and you'll get air in there where you don't want it and that will help.  I had a great experience with Paul at Circuit Motors regarding tuning my car.  Not entirely cheap but definitely worthwhile.

Bulldog Bri

peterw

Hi Wraxal, Where abouts are you located?? :D

paintman

Welcome mate.......join the "Hood" ;D  plenty of us with Hoods of various types and engines.  Mine hasn't got 45's on so can't help a lot but it does sound like an air leak to me. 

Have you changed the gaskets....always a good start. ;)

Tony