News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

pics

Started by spitfire4, 12, June, 2011, 08:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitfire4

Hi folks

y'all were very gracious a few months back in saying that my lightly modded Spitfire counted 'kit' enough for me to be welcome to post on the site (since I bought it 25 years ago, only the chassis and bonnet are the same car, so it pretty much is...). and some of you gave me a great steer for Circuit Motors for rolling roading after fitting webers - currently I'm slowly getting the bits together ready to do the conversion from SU's to Webbies in the autumn (or possibly next month if the weather carries on like this....). Someone said they'd like to see a couple of pics, so here's the wee beatie, fresh from a repaint after a rear ender (by my wife...) which turned into new floors and sills while we were at it. proof that every cloud...
all the best

Martin

'The Gaffer'

Denzle

Nice Motor Martin.   

I always did like the Spitfire when I was a young mechanic. After all they are almost based on a race car, and so simple to get to everything.

Many years back I used to rally a 948 Herald with a few mods.  I skimmed the head, polished the ports and put a single extractor pipe on with Webbers. and it was pretty quick.   Only problem, I was forever welding the diff support brackets back on.

I entered a  B.A.C. Rally of 160 and came first in its class and 5th over-all.   I was quite chuffed with that considering it was a little family car.

I hate to think if I had pranged it though.  No roll bars back then and I think the body would have folded like a cardboard box if I hit something hard.  Lucky for me though I only rear ended it once..

Then later moved up to a Sunbeam Rapier.  Now that was quick for the time.

Keep up the good work....Love it....   Denzle.... ;)

peetee

very nice Martin........

David H

Thats a wicked example. I love classics like that.

spitfire4

thanks guys.

and Denzle, your Herald sounds like it was a lot of fun. I toyed with the idea of taking mine to track day, but decided that given some bits of it are 47 years old, maybe not...

fun through the lanes though. lowered and with extra negative camber and spax at the front, and spax on the rear, it even goes round corners...

M

Denzle

Quote from: spitfire4 on 18, June, 2011, 10:40:40 AM
thanks guys.

and Denzle, your Herald sounds like it was a lot of fun. I toyed with the idea of taking mine to track day, but decided that given some bits of it are 47 years old, maybe not...

fun through the lanes though. lowered and with extra negative camber and spax at the front, and spax on the rear, it even goes round corners...

M

Give it a try one day. 

You havent got to hammer it round the track, just feel it round for a few laps and see how she goes.   Should be fun.... 8)

Denzle... ;)

spitfire4

maybe you're right Denzle - a few things to do yet tho - just put a rebuilt diff in, and the next step is a rebuilt box. Since the rebuild and fitment of a new (quieter...) exhaust, the box is making me painfully aware that it needs attention ( i couldnt hear it before cos the exhaust was so loud..). Planning to rebuild a later 4 synchro box (mine is a 3 synchro), and once that's in, the twin 40s go on..

;D

Moleman

Welcome & It does look nice.

YellaBelly

Welcome to the club chap :)

I was GIVEN a Spitfire IV fitted (badly) with a straight-6 engine from a Vitesse. Given to me as a non-runner, took me 30mins to get it running on 5 cylinders, but I spent a long time getting the bodywork up to condition and ended up selling it 'cos I couldn't afford to it on the road so sold it :(

Wish I had it now, it would be well worth restoration.

JB