News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

New to kit cars & forum

Started by Sparky3000, 26, February, 2016, 10:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky3000

Hi all

I have just purchased my first kit car a Tiger Avon. I did rather rush into the purchase somewhat as I just couldn't wait any longer for one.
Only owned for 2 days so trying to get to grips with it...

I'm based in Almondsbury and would greatly appreciate any recommendations for local kit car experts as the 2.0 Pinto is a little grumpy

Thanks

damouk

Hi sparky and firstly welcome to the club!

There is a wealth of knowledge here so I'm sure it won't take to long to sort out your niggles.

Do you have any pics of the car yet?

Facial Hair Optional

Hi Sparky and welcome.

Does your pinto have twin Webers by any chance? Mine has and it does get grumpy from time to time. There is a good rolling road guy on North Road in Yate, John at JPR tuning. He can set them up for you but I have found if you drive it hard like I do they go out quite often. Mine's a Tiger too (not and Avon though). Also Mike B has a Tiger so you are not alone!

paintman

Welcome Sparkey.

I got a slightly modded Pinto in the Hood so i'll be glad to help you if I can, as will all the regular forum members.........
clever and helpful lot on here!! ;) ;)

Tony

benchmark51

I think twin webers do go out of tune more frequently than dellortos do. My dellortos haven't gone out of tune for 3 years now, they're sat in the cupboard along with the pinto I haven't got around to using yet!

Crunchie Gears

I am enjoying your enthusiasm :D it is infectious.

Great you have found the club and hope you get the Avon running sweetly ;D

Sparky3000

Thanks Guys

It's only a single carb I'll take some pictures today of it

peterw

That will please Colin, It's Yellow :D :D :D

Bulldog Bri

You beat me to it Pete. Another 'YELLOW' car!!! ???

Does look a nice build hope to see you and the car at some of the events this year. Stoneleigh is just 9 weeks away. ;D

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: benchmark51 on 26, February, 2016, 11:34:28 PM
I think twin webers do go out of tune more frequently than dellortos do. My dellortos haven't gone out of tune for 3 years now, they're sat in the cupboard along with the pinto I haven't got around to using yet!

Yeah you're right Dave, if they were Webers they'd still have gone out of tune just sat in the cupboard!!

Facial Hair Optional

The car may be yellow but if that is your garage I am green!!! Grrrr!! Mine is sooooooooooooooooo small. (the garage before the funny crew perk up!)

Crunchie Gears

Sparky3000

No panic it's my workshop the garage is to full with firewood & junk!

Here's a closer snap of the grumpy engine, I can see 205 on the black?

Moleman

Welcome to the club. Cool looking car & nice colour.  8)

Got to go out in mine today & drove through Almondsbury as I'm based near you.

You could also try Interpro Automotive Ltd in Thornbury which is not far from you. If you do ask for Dave to sort you out.  :)

sanzomat

Welcome. Nice looking car but not quite red enough!

Not enough description of the issues to help with diagnosis - might not even be the carb!

Bring it along to a meet and I'm sure lots of people will give you some advice and some of it might even be useful!

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club. Great looking car you have there and I'm sure the mechanical gremlins will be sorted by our team of experts :)

Facial Hair Optional

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 27, February, 2016, 06:06:43 PM
Welcome. Nice looking car but not quite red enough!

Not enough description of the issues to help with diagnosis - might not even be the carb!

Bring it along to a meet and I'm sure lots of people will give you some advice and some of it might even be useful!

I agree with Dave. Not red enough!  ;D ;D

As for the rest, I agree with that too, could be a number of things. Has it been tuned, serviced etc since you've had it? If not then any idea when it was last done? Could be as simple and dirty plugs.

I think most people would agree that it's always a good idea with kits to service them as soon as you get them unless you know that it has been done very recently and done well. There isn't much that can go majorly wrong with a good old pinto engine.

damouk

That's true, although having very recent dealings with the twin choke webber on fidodido's pinto they can be a PITA.

sanzomat

Had to think about that one but solved it without resorting to google.

At first couldn't see what carbureters had to do with flat breads (except for carb's) then I worked out it is Pain In The A

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 28, February, 2016, 07:08:30 PM
That's true, although having very recent dealings with the twin choke webber on fidodido's pinto they can be a PITA.

I actually knew that one!! 'Makes a change' I hear the crowd shout!

Iancider

Welcome Sparky 3000

The problem should be easy to fix - the pinto engine is really simple.  I too recommend Interpro - they have full sets of jets in stock and will put it on the rolling road to maximise the power.

Here's what they did for me!

Facial Hair Optional

Excellent vid Ian. I hear Interpro are very good but as a result often very busy with a wait to get booked in?

Are you aware the video is blank from around 2:45 onwards? There is sound from around 3:54 though.

Sparky3000

So just spoke with John @ JPR & the Interpro guys i must say i confident both are capable of getting the Tiger purring but felt JPR were far more helpful...hmmm what to do
Good fiend of mine has race engines built by Dave @ MEK Motorsport but he's in Cheltenham.

I desperately want her running nicely soon as possible so wondered if you guys can

a) recommend any transport  guys to run it to a garage
b) realistically what power results should i expect from it (2litre Pinto (205 on block) with Single Weber carb)

Thanks all

damouk

Depending on where your 205 came from and if it is standard, I think it would have been between 86 and 100 bhp from the factory with the twin choke carb. I'd guess anything over 95 bhp and you will be doing well.

I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows what they are on about..

Facial Hair Optional

All I can add to the pot is that my pinto has twin 40 webers, a non-standard cam (can't recall if it's a fast road cam or a rally cam now tbh) and puts out 152-156bhp. Not a lot of help really I know!!

paintman

Mines a 205, 2.1 litre with fr32 cam and modded head, new valves and pistons ect....but running on DGAV twin choke
like yours and was told that on the dyno it made 145 bhp, if that's any help. ::)

Matter of interest......that's with a tight new rebuilt engine, obviously it's free'd up now and go's like sh*t.

My question is, now that it's run in, isn't it producing more Bhp and torque now??????????? ::)

Sorry I hacked your post. :-[

Tony

Iancider

QuoteAre you aware the video is blank from around 2:45 onwards? There is sound from around 3:54 though.

FHO - I just ran through the video again and it runs fine for me.  I guess you had a temporary glitch on you browser for that session.  Either that of the You Tube censor thought you might get to excited and X-rated it.   :D ;)

Moleman

Quote from: Sparky3000 on 29, February, 2016, 12:48:42 PM
So just spoke with John @ JPR & the Interpro guys i must say i confident both are capable of getting the Tiger purring but felt JPR were far more helpful...hmmm what to do
Good fiend of mine has race engines built by Dave @ MEK Motorsport but he's in Cheltenham.

I desperately want her running nicely soon as possible so wondered if you guys can

a) recommend any transport  guys to run it to a garage
b) realistically what power results should i expect from it (2litre Pinto (205 on block) with Single Weber carb)

Thanks all

If you have a toll bar you can borrow the Go inspire trailer to take it there for a small fee which goes to the charity. If you don't then I could help get it there for you but that will depend on when you need to get it there.  :)

Sumov8

Before you take it to the rolling road, if the engine isrunning lumpy but not all of the time I would replace the condenser, its cheap and they are prone to breaking down, reducing the spark.  Unless the carb jets are blocked with crud, I would not expect it requires re-jetting as it looks like a standard carb FWIW   :)

sanzomat

Agree. I'd start with ignition before messing with the carb. How old are the HT leads? These break down over time and from my own recent experience can make a huge difference to how it runs.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 29, February, 2016, 09:43:20 PM
QuoteAre you aware the video is blank from around 2:45 onwards? There is sound from around 3:54 though.

FHO - I just ran through the video again and it runs fine for me.  I guess you had a temporary glitch on you browser for that session.  Either that of the You Tube censor thought you might get to excited and X-rated it.   :D ;)

Very weird Ian, it is still doing it on mine and where it goes blank at 2:45 it's a fade out you did yourself by the look of it. The image just never comes back but the sound does. Odd.

sanzomat

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 04, March, 2016, 09:02:53 PM
Quote from: Iancider on 29, February, 2016, 09:43:20 PM

Very weird Ian, it is still doing it on mine and where it goes blank at 2:45 it's a fade out you did yourself by the look of it. The image just never comes back but the sound does. Odd.

Goes to black half way through for me too. The second half isn't the best of entertainment!

Iancider

Okay here it is re-posted - hope it works this time!

Facial Hair Optional

Nope. Picture fades to black at about 2:44 then there is nothing until some sound (only) comes back in at 3:54  :(

benchmark51

It's what I get too.

I would add that the only sound I hear is music, which masks important information contained in the video.
Any videos about cars being used either on rolling roads or trackdays is better with the actual sound of the car. Gearchanges, engine sound, braking, tyre noise. It makes it individual and seperates it from other videos.  What does everyone else think?

Facial Hair Optional

I have to say on the whole I tend to prefer to hear the sound of the car too. Having said that Ian does an extremely professional job with his videos, I dread to think how much time and effort it takes to make these to this standard!

I guess it is each to his own. Maybe if the music was a little less intrusive, more of a back ground thing it would be better? It can tend to drown out the car noises. I myself have found that getting a decent sound from the engine etc via a GoPro is very hard to do, mostly all I get is horrendous wind noise so in many ways music is better than that for sure!!

I have tried sponge in the rear of the casing (saw that tip on youtube) but I know some of you use a microphone extension and put the mic down nearer the engine. I have not tried that yet and in fact I don't think I can fit an exteenal mic on my very early GoPro Hero 1.

I think if you could get a real meaty engine and gear change sound then many car video makers would most likely not bother with the music element unless like Ian you pride yourself on doing the most professional video production you are able to.

How about a version of each Ian? One with music and one with the sweet sound of thrashing metal and exhaust notes!!  :) :)

Facial Hair Optional

I have just re-watched the video Ian posted and I have to say the standard is brilliant. In this particular case I think the music suits it really well but I would prefer it a bit less obvious, more background. As for track day videos, I don't think you can beat the pure sound of the car on it's own with no music - Heaven in a Seven!!!

Facial Hair Optional

Here's a not half-bad example, tyre squeal and everthing!!

Caterham R500 chasing an Atom.......

benchmark51

yep, thats it :D. Without the sound and with music playing it's not the same.