News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

triumph spitfire

Started by bluehornetrider, 17, September, 2012, 12:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluehornetrider

Looking at a 1500 spitfire today, anyone have any history with them?  I'm also on the hunt for a car transport trailer to get it home.
I'm hoping to get a tax exempt car but I know that the cut off is 1973 is this a rolling date that?  When did licences plates change from silver on black?
Cheers for any help.

robp

I believe the 1500 Spitfire didn't come out until late 1974 so it will not be tax exempt.  You'll be looking at a Mk4 or earlier.  I think the car only weight around 800kg so it should go on most trailers.

Is this going to be a winter project?  If so, I hope you'll post progress on this site.  ;)

bluehornetrider

It's listed as a a 1973 1500 with 2 engines and in pieces.  So I need to go and have a good look at what's amiss.  With any luck it'll be a MkIV with a 1500 engine, I take it the tax goes on the chassis not the engine?
What do I need to get it registered back on the road, getting a bit ahead of myself I know.  Is there any way to move the engine around without a crane?

'The Gaffer'

I loved the Spitfire, had one when I was living in California. Made more money from people crashing into me in their big 4x4's because I was so invisibly low than it cost me. Eventually put a big union jack flag on a tall antenna in the end while the car was still drivable :D 

Really enjoyed driving that car, the weather helped a lot though. Only had one problem, I used to get big electric shocks from the gear lever when I selected overdrive, this was found to be a loose wire from the gearchange solenoid causing back emf :o

Hope you fine a good one.

bluehornetrider

Gone and bought the darned thing, it was as I suspected an April 1973 Mk4 with a 1500 engine or two.

Nice solid chassis, just need a little bit of love and money.  Hope to get it back home soon. :)

Need to get a mig welder now but I'll wait till I get to exeter kit show.

robp

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 17, September, 2012, 09:48:14 PM
Gone and bought the darned thing.

Nice one!  Look forward to watching progress on here.

'The Gaffer'

YellaBelly

Had one many moons ago with a Triumph straight-6 1600 in. Bet I couldn't get in it now though :(

Lookinh forward to the reports :D

John

bluehornetrider

Got it back in my garage, with the extra engine 7 headlights, 6 alternators, 4 seat frames, 2 new sills new brake pads and discs and lots of other bits I still need to identify.  Also found out a good welder who works a few garages down from me, bonus as I didn't want to splash out on a welder. :D

If anyone wants the lights please make me an offer as I plan on upgrading to halogens anyway.

On the lookout for rear brake drums an inner left hand wing, interior refurb kit and either a parts cleaner or electrostatic cleaner big enough for the carbs to fit in.  A cheap engine crane would be handy as well.

Anyone know of a good engine restorer?

bluehornetrider

fullpint

Looks like just a couple of hours work to do  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Is it fairly solid underneath? Body work don't look to bad..

bluehornetrider

Chassis works all done with new floor and sills, I need the door bottoms replaced and a l/h inner front wing and the body will be tidy.

'The Gaffer'

Looks pretty solid, should keep you occupied over the winter :)

paintman

A 2 litre Vitesse engine would make it shift or is it problematic using a 6-cyclinder engine in a Spitfire???......they did sound nice though.  ;D::)

bluehornetrider

I'll keep the 1500 for now as I'd have to change the bonnet as the gt6 has the 2 litre engine, same chassis with a bonnet bulge, it might have the meatier vitesse running gear as well.  I worked out the power to weight values the other day to around 95bhp per ton and my Peugeot to around 45bhp per ton and that still shifts. :P

YellaBelly

Yep, I know what you mean about the bonnet bulge! My old Spitfire had been 'modified' with the zealous use of a hammer to make the Vitesse engine fit :D (Not by me I might add!)

bluehornetrider

maybe when I've finished this one I'll trade up to a GT6 but I think getting used to an old fashioned rear drive car will be enough.
Found a local classic restorer who's coming out to eyeball the job and give me a price and also met a classic car dealer who looked impressed with the car. :D

bluehornetrider

Anyone know of a good chrome plater near chippenham, I'd like to keep the work local if possible. Found one in Yate but pretty sure there would be one closer.

fullpint

Westinghouse did years ago but not sure if they still do or even if they are still doing... I will ask my mate in Bristol. What parts are you looking at getting done?

fullpint

bluehornetrider

Cheers for the contact details, I'd like the trim strips chroming as they are currently black, the bumpers and a few other trim bits.

bluehornetrider

I have found a great company in Full pints for my wheels, http://tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk/contact-us.php will using Steve when I the time comes, I haven't decided whether or not to get the rocker cover done or buy a new one. :P

fullpint

Just twiged!! Its you who emailed on my tpcs address asking about Triumph wheels and chrome!!! Its a small old world  ;D

bluehornetrider

Working on the front brakes today, high temp painted the brake calipers and am baking them off now, twin SU carbs are heading for the dishwasher and the new brake disk is fitted front right.

fullpint

I remember when we baked my mates head (motorbike) in his mum's oven! It stunk the place out. This was followed by a pot of chain-lube on the hob  ;D

So carb's in the  dish-washer? Look forward to seeing them. I'm thinking about getting a soda blaster for work. But if your carbs come out ok perhaps a second-hand dish-washer could do the trick  ;)

bluehornetrider

The smell of cooking calipers isn't very nice and quite smoky, the wife wasn't very impressed, saying why didn't you tell me it was going to smell so bad?  I answered that I didn't know because I'd not done it before, and most importantly why would I tell her if I did know, she would have said no! ::)

'The Gaffer'

Who needs a garage when you've got a kitchen ;)

Nice pics.

bluehornetrider

Calipers all baked off now, not very glossy but they won't be seen behind the wheels, the carbs are all clean now, I just need to work out how they work!  I have K&N filters but the mounting plates are broken so will have to make some replacements up.

bluehornetrider

Stripped the carbs and cleaned them up, they were very grotty, and 1 pot was full of water, I need to get some gaskets and meybe some new return springs but I'll give them all a good clean up and lube and see if they free up.
I now have new bits for the calipers and fitted them, including brake pad fitting kit and bleed nipples from Moss europe.

fullpint

I think I would have water in my works if I had been put in a dishwasher.. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

bluehornetrider

Rerfitted the boot, painted the exhaust manifoold with black heat paint, cleaned up one of the air filters and started straightening out the panel joints only to find that the O/S rear quarter panel bottom is rotten and requires more welding work.

bluehornetrider

Got some more bits to fit to the spit' rear brake drums and bits and peices and front brake hoses, enough to keep me busy over the weekend, my trip to Malvern classic show on Sunday saw me return with black and silver number plates and a few new tools.

bluehornetrider

Ground back the rusted area to expose the fillered area on the right hand quarter panel, fitted the new bits on the right hand rear brake drums, cleaned up the second engine a bit and gave it to Bulldogbri to see if he can make use of it, managed to turn it with a spanner which is a bonus as when I picked it up it looked seized up, hopefully with a good clean up and a lick of paint it'll be a good runner.
With Bri's help we managed to loosed off the old brake line from bracket and loosened off the adjuster so that the new brake drums will fit, I'll try that tomorrow, the joys of new components.
In the effort of removing the drum retaining screws they are pretty well mullered so I'll be after a new set of them new. 

I'm off to the Exeter kit car show on Sunday so I'll wait to see what bits I can pick up there.

'The Gaffer'

bluehornetrider

Spent the morning fitting the new brake hose and found it bit shorter than the original, I dug out the copper lines and couldn't find my pipe bender.  Tried out some POR15 on the master brake cylinder shelf.
Painted the front brake pipe brackets.
Lost my rag with trying to put the new brake drum over the new brake shoes, couldn't get them on and the retaining springs came off, I took it all apart and moved the adjuster slots and it helped a bit but not enough so I left it untill I have more time, ordered some drum retaining screw and front brake brackets in stainless steel from  http://www.canleyclassics.com

fullpint

I know the feeling mate.. Had the same problem with the drums on my old Caddy and also the wifes Sei... Make sure the pistons are pushed in as far as they can go on the cylinder. Mind you looking at the phot they do look like they are well in... Try again another day and the drum may just slide on nicely...

bluehornetrider

Thanks full pint it's nice to know I not a total spaz when it comes to doing bits to the car.  No such thing as a 5 minute job.  I'll get those wheels to you in November, giving them a closer look the are pretty scabby on the inside, would you like me to give them a wire brush before you get them or would that add to your work?  I've decided on gloss black as I'll be putting chrome finishing rims on them.

fullpint

A little wire brushing would be  8).. My blaster should remove what's left albeit leaving a pitted surface behind but there's not much one can do about that..Plus it's not seen when on the car. When I see them up front I will be able to let you know how they will come out. Gloss black with chrome rims will look awesome.. :P

robp

Looks like another old Triumph winter project.  Just picked up this one today.  Needs some tidying up; new door skin(s), front wing (lower section of bonnet), new hood.  Has been sitting in a garage for a couple of years.

(Don't worry, this is no longer a disabled space  :D)

bluehornetrider

Looks better than mine, I'm sure it'll be hiding some nice rotten sections and filler in the most unexpected of places.  Sills, A posts, wheel arches battery bay, peddle box, floor, rear inner wheelarch.  Hope the floor on yours is solid.  The sills and floor have been done on mine and the chassis is solid, it still needs some work on the front left inner wheel arch rear right quarterpanel and wheel arch a plate on the new left hand sill and the right hand headlight surround.  Oh and the engine and gearbox needs sorting and all putting back together after replacing the missing bits and repairing the broken bits.  It's a long list but it wouldn't be any fun if it was all easy would it! ::)