+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another Triumph Spitfire

Started by robp, 13, November, 2012, 05:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robp

In the garage last night and got the manifolds back on and the rad in.

Ordered a few parts from Canley Classics which should see me though to getting the car going.  Can't wait!

'The Gaffer'

Bulldog Bri

Is it Bummble Bee from Transformers. Lol.

Looking great, Love Black and Yellow together.

8)

robp

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 06, February, 2013, 12:53:24 PM
Looks lovely and clean.

Quote from: bulldog bri on 06, February, 2013, 01:10:29 PM
Looking great, Love Black and Yellow together.

Thanks guys.  Really enjoying the rebuild at the moment.  Not getting too excited at the moment though.  Waiting until new starter arrives and I get a good compression test plus, of course, when the old girl fires up for the first time!

Moleman

Black & yellow is A good choise.  :P

Grin-a-lot

Thats some progress you've made in this cold weather, looking forward to seeing it on the road sometime!

robp

Quote from: robp on 06, February, 2013, 09:43:58 AM
Ordered a few parts from Canley Classics which should see me though to getting the car going.  Can't wait!
Well, quick delivery from Canley's; stuff arrived at lunchtime.  No water return pipe; it's on back order.  Hope is not fractured when it does turn up.
Quote from: bluehornetrider on 21, December, 2012, 07:47:35 PM
I received the water return pipe today and it looks great until uder a bright light I happened to notice a small fracture along the top of the bend ???

Everything else there though.  Best bit was a new (recon) starter motor.  Could resist getting down the garage to connect it up and do a compression check (sad t**t!) to see if all that work on the engine was worth it.  Well, it doesn't effing fit! >:(

You can see in the photo the difference between the old and new starters.  Best contact Canley's and see if there are two types.  I've seen some 1500's with a spacer but it'll need to be about 1/3" thick to get the right clearance.

'The Gaffer'

Unlucky Rob, I hate it when that sort of thing happen. >:(

Daley Down Under

Quote from: robp on 07, February, 2013, 02:24:24 PM
Quote from: robp on 06, February, 2013, 09:43:58 AM
Well, quick delivery from Canley's; stuff arrived at lunchtime.  No water return pipe; it's on back order.  Hope is not fractured when it does turn up.
Quote from: bluehornetrider on 21, December, 2012, 07:47:35 PM
I received the water return pipe today and it looks great until uder a bright light I happened to notice a small fracture along the top of the bend ???

Everything else there though.  Best bit was a new (recon) starter motor.  Could resist getting down the garage to connect it up and do a compression check (sad t**t!) to see if all that work on the engine was worth it.  Well, it doesn't effing fit! >:(

You can see in the photo the difference between the old and new starters.  Best contact Canley's and see if there are two types.  I've seen some 1500's with a spacer but it'll need to be about 1/3" thick to get the right clearance.

Rob - that's good work.  I'm enjoying seeing the progress you're making (on both cars).  Knowing BL, they probably just decided to change supplier, couldn't find the design drawings and re-drew things on a Friday morning (never worked Friday pm).

Adrian 

robp

Swapped cars again last night.  Back on the Westfield and back to the 21st century with laptop out. 

Car runs a narrowband lambda sensor with closed loop below 3000rpm (for emissions).  I have added a Techedge 3B1 unit with wideband sensor and dash display.  Last night I switched off lambda compensation on the ECU; heh, I've just passed the MOT no need for that for now! ;)

After calibrating it, I fitted the wideband sensor in the exhaust and got the 3B1 working.  Now I can see what sort of A/F ratio I'm getting when I'm going for it.  This will just be a guide for now as I'll need to set up logging to get some decent data before tweeking the fuel mapping.  Also, I have set up a simulated narrowband output from the Techedge which I'll connect back to the ECU when I have some more time.

Weather forecast looks pretty awful for the weekend so hopefully SHMBO will let me get some more time in the garage.  Got to get the carbs finished off and back on the Spit.  We're over a week into February now.  It'll be Spring before we know it!

robp

Got my water return pipe though the post today.  Nice shiny stainless.  Hopefully it'll last a little longer than the old one!  Nice bit of bling on the engine  8)  Shame it's hidden under the exhaust manifold!

robp

Quote from: YellaBelly on 29, November, 2012, 07:28:29 PM
Lots of heat with a blow torch chap (not oxyacetylene though :o). Heat works so much better than WD40 in my humble opinion. I've freed off 'impossibly seized' stuff using my trusty blowtorch.
Got a blow torch on the seized bolt on the thermostat housing.  Worked a treat, JB!

Finally pumped off all the old fuel last night, all 20 litres of the stuff!

YellaBelly

Glad I was able to offer a little bit of useful advice chap :)

robp

Quote from: robp on 28, January, 2013, 03:45:26 PM
I've managed to fit the fixed jet conversion to one of the SU carbs.  Right fiddley job too.  I knew it was going to be fun when I read the instructions.  Statements like 'this is the most frustrating part of the job' and 'try to leave this to a person with a large amount of patience'.  It is definately one of those jobs that as soon as it starts getting annoying, just walk away and try another day.  Anyway, one carb is done (I think).  Not totally happy with the choke movement so I'll have another look at when I have some more time.

I've had another look at the first carb.   The choke return spring wasn't on quite right.  Tried again and now works perfectly.   :D

Made a start on the second carb now I had the first one for reference.  Much easier after what I had learnt the first time around.  All back together, but, choke movement isn't right.  The main jet tube keeps sticking in the down (choke open) position.  If I disconnect the jet tube fuel line from the bottom of the float chamber, all works perfectly.  If I reconnect it, the bend in the fuel pipe causes the jet tube up/down movement to be a little sticky.  Took everything apart again, cleaned it all up again, back together.  Still the same.   :(

Main jet tube; float chamber end on right, carb end bottom.

robp

Quote from: robp on 17, February, 2013, 10:26:24 AM

All back together, but, choke movement isn't right.   :(

Got it!!  :D  Now working perfectly!  Both carbs now on engine.

Just starter motor spacer to get now and it'll be time to start her up!  ;D

Daley Down Under

fullpint

8) Nice when you hear about good progress on a problem solved.. Look forward to the post saying, Chocks away  ;D

robp

Hairy Santa

YellaBelly

Well done that man! Don't foget the video of the start-up ;) :D

robp

Quote from: YellaBelly on 27, February, 2013, 08:42:03 AM
Well done that man! Don't foget the video of the start-up ;) :D

Yes, managed to briefly start the engine last night.  It was a bit of a lash up to honest.  Incomplete cooling system, no clamps on fuel lines :o ::), ignition connected straight to the battery, no throttle cable, no choke cable (used mole grips) and lead from starter motor held on the battery terminal to turn it over.  Took a few pulls.  Oil pressure OK.  Fired on rear cylinders initially as that carb kicked in then the whole thing fired up and ran fairly well.  Absolutely delighted.  Certainly brought a smile to my face.  :D

Next step is to finish everything properly (before the thing catches fire!) then start it up again, run it up to temperature and check for leaks, etc.  I will post of video once I've got around to uploading it to YouTube.

Once the engine is finished there is still loads to do.  I want to take it for a quick drive ASAP!  However, rear brakes need some serious TLC so I shouldn't get ahead of myself.  Also, there is the small matter of a seized clutch; any advice on how to free that off gratefully accepted.

robp

The project is running about a month behind schedule.  It will be tempting to start driving it about this spring/summer as it is now but I really want to sort the bodywork first.  New door skins and new front wings plus a few other minor bits.  Then a respray.  Oh, and a new hood.  Err, then the dash and electrics.

:D

YellaBelly

Good progress Rob! Keep the updates coming :)

Daley Down Under

Quote from: robp on 27, February, 2013, 07:41:03 PM
The project is running about a month behind schedule.  It will be tempting to start driving it about this spring/summer as it is now but I really want to sort the bodywork first.  New door skins and new front wings plus a few other minor bits.  Then a respray.  Oh, and a new hood.  Err, then the dash and electrics.

:D

Rob - you must be well organised.  Measuring schedule delay - you'll be telling us you're using Primavera as your planning software next!!!!  Good news on the start up - not much left to do  ::)

Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Looking forward to seeing that video Rob :)

robp

Managed to find some time to get back in the garage again.  I had a couple of minor jobs to finish off on the boot cover for the Westfield.  Managed to get that done and then re-focus on the Spit.  Here are a couple of photos of before and after.

Before:

After:

Still have the airbox the attach plus a few others bits and bobs.  Looks much better but the main thing is it now runs.

I've connected everything up properly now.  Couldn't get the engine to turn over on the key though.  Solenoid is clicking but no current is getting through.  Oh well, I'll have a look at that later.  I wanted to get the engine fired up so I just held the main lead from the starter and all was well.  Started well enough but seemed to be running a little rough, like firing on 3.  It was then I noticed that the HD lead from cylinder 4 was connected to a spare spark plug clamped to the side of the engine! ::) :P  Re-connected it to the spark plug in the engine and it then things were much better!

First thing I noticed was the exhaust is blowing.  I tried to tighten the three nuts holding the exhaust manifold to the down pipes.  Sure enough one, despite being loose, wouldn't move.  Another sheared off. :(  Oh well, manifold off.   :( :( :(

Any advice on what I should do now?  Tried heating it up to extract (what's left of) the studs.  Shall I just drill and re-tap?  Is that OK in cast iron?

YellaBelly

Hi Rob.

If there is enough of the stud sticking out, try popping a nut over the top, a couple of spots of weld to it, then try extracting it that way. The heat from the welding may be enough to crack the corrosion, but if not then hit it with a good blow torch flame for a couple of minutes and that should sort it ;)

I've very rarely had heat fail me on unseizing stuff :)

robp

Studs out eventually.  Re-tapped holes and fitted new studs.

Got the everything back together and fired the engine up.  Much quieter now. :D

The choke operation seems very stiff.  It's difficult to operate from the cockpit so I'll have another look at that sometime.  Also, engine coughs everything I try to rev it up which needs to be sorted out.  Any ideas what would cause that?

I've refurbed the rear brakes now.  As I mentioned in an earlier post, one offside rear brake was seized on.  Backing off the adjuster screw and bashing with a lump hammer still wouldn't free it up.  Ended up cutting the old drum off!  All back together with new parts and working.  Lost one of the pins for the handbrake so I'll have to have a look around for that sometime.

Anyway, now with the engine running and the brakes working it would be rude not to take the Spit for a quick spin.  ::) ;)  Didn't get too far though.  Foot on the clutch and it wouldn't move at all!  Rock hard pedal!  :(  Have to see what's up when I'm back in the garage again.  Probably master cylinder.  :(

'The Gaffer'

Sounds like you are having fun there Rob. I'm enjoying your posts.

robp

Quote from: robp on 17, March, 2013, 10:23:58 AM
Foot on the clutch and it wouldn't move at all!  Rock hard pedal!  :(  Have to see what's up when I'm back in the garage again.  Probably master cylinder.  :(

Yep, clutch master cylinder seized.  Once I'll taken it off the car, I thought I'll clean up and re-paint the bracket it's mounted to.  Then I thought I might as well do the brake master cylinder bracket while I'm at it.  Then I thought the wiper motor looked bad.  The scuttle looks tatty too. 

It's easy to see why a simple job can soon expand into alot more work!  ???

robp

There was something I missed in the budget this week.  Apart from the cancellation of fuel duty rise there was more good news with the announcement that the Government's cut-off date for classic cars' tax exemption will now be extended by one year, meaning cars produced in 1973 will now be tax exempt. 

There's no word yet on whether this extension will continue to roll forward in future years, though.  If it does, that's only SIX YEARS to go until my Spit is tax exempt!   ::)

Hopefully have the old motor on the road by then!  :P

bluehornetrider

Good news, I think my spit was right on the cut-off so didn't know if I'd get away with it or not.  April 1973, I will be running it on black and silver plates though :P

'The Gaffer'

Check out this shed of a Spitfire..

It is being stored in the garage, not my car but it's owner says he would like to do it up one day. It's beyond it if you ask me but he says it has sentimental value :D :-X.

benchmark51

I have just bought a tin of high temp engine paint on ebay. Haven't tried it yet but looks good on test piece. I have got all the old layers off the block(several). I will be spraying it on rather than brush though. The tin says 250ml will be enough, we'll see.  ;D

bluehornetrider

That black spit looks a lot more up together than mine, a MK3 hard top spit.  bit of polish it'll soon be good to go.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 24, March, 2013, 04:56:13 PM
That black spit looks a lot more up together than mine, a MK3 hard top spit.  bit of polish it'll soon be good to go.

Ha, its riddled with rust and the interior has completely rotted away. It will take a brave man to get that back on the road.

robp

This video made me laugh.  Guy setting fire to his MX5.  Love it how he trys to blow the fire out.  And yes, that is a can of fuel balanced on the side of the engine bay!!  ;D :D

After taking shortcuts to get the Spit engine fired up this was a warning for me though.

'The Gaffer'

Wow, he was lucky there. Why on earth earth he still trying to start it while it was on fire???

In fact he was lucky he didn't kill himself and burn the house down too.

robp

Well, the old Spit has been rather neglected over April.  I have been waiting this long for a few parts from Canley's. :(  Back order, blah, blah.   :(

Anyway, got a few spare minutes, I thought I'd get the engine running and start trying to get the carbs set up properly.  I'd put the battery on charge last night and so this morning I tried to get the engine fired up.  Nope, not having it.   :(  Not so much as a cough.  Got sparks, got compression.  Surely some ether squirted in the carbs will get something?  Nope.

Time to do some checks.  Well no fuel getting through.  I had the pump off, poured a few litres of fuel in the tank and manually operated the pump lever.  Eventually there was fuel getting through.  Tick that off.  Still no signs of life.   Eh, I had this thing running a few weeks ago, WTF?  ???

I took the dizzy cap off.  Centre contact was hanging off on it's spring.  The top of the rotor arm was scratched so it much had been flying around inside.  I carefully pushed the contact back up inside the hole and refitted the cap.  Try again and bingo!  Engine running straight away!  I had a quick play with balancing the carbs and playing with the mixture.  Engine revving up beautifully now.   8) 

Then there was a shout out the backdoor of the house.  Been summoned by SWMBO.  Oh well, hopefully get back to the garage again soon.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: robp on 04, May, 2013, 11:09:36 AM
Well, the old Spit has been rather neglected over April.  I have been waiting this long for a few parts from Canley's. :(  Back order, blah, blah.   :(

Anyway, got a few spare minutes, I thought I'd get the engine running and start trying to get the carbs set up properly.  I'd put the battery on charge last night and so this morning I tried to get the engine fired up.  Nope, not having it.   :(  Not so much as a cough.  Got sparks, got compression.  Surely some ether squirted in the carbs will get something?  Nope.

Time to do some checks.  Well no fuel getting through.  I had the pump off, poured a few litres of fuel in the tank and manually operated the pump lever.  Eventually there was fuel getting through.  Tick that off.  Still no signs of life.   Eh, I had this thing running a few weeks ago, WTF?  ???

I took the dizzy cap off.  Centre contact was hanging off on it's spring.  The top of the rotor arm was scratched so it much had been flying around inside.  I carefully pushed the contact back up inside the hole and refitted the cap.  Try again and bingo!  Engine running straight away!  I had a quick play with balancing the carbs and playing with the mixture.  Engine revving up beautifully now.   8) 

Then there was a shout out the backdoor of the house.  Been summoned by SWMBO.  Oh well, hopefully get back to the garage again soon.

Rob - all good (and the old avatar's back)

Adrian