+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Yet Another Spitfire?

Started by Quarrycars, 08, December, 2012, 02:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarrycars

Have to admit I'm not into restoring cars, I prefer to build somthing new.  But I found this car nearby and the recent talk about Spitfires peaked my interest.
Its a 1982 US spec car apparently never registered for the road and used by a little old lady to go slalom racing...really!!

Been sitting for a while and a bit dusty, no rust of course, has a roll bar and factory steel top.
Interior is a bit ratty but not too bad.  Nice wheels.

The interesting bit is the Mazda RX7 engine, a pretty neat conversion, couldn't see anything hacked except for the hole in the bonnet.

Asking $3500 (about 2K GBP) including trailer.  Tempted, don't know what I would do with it.  Would it be worth shipping back to the UK?

robp

What a great conversion.  Interested if there are any mods to the chassis and back end to cope with that extra power.

Those US bumpers are hilarious!

'The Gaffer'

Wow!! that is indeed quite a conversion.

Actually the bumpers are very practical, during my ownership of a spitfire in the states I was always getting bumped into by huge 4x4s etc - I was so low they just didnt see me :o

They would be even better if they were a foot higher haha.

Bulldog Bri

Love to know how well it went  :o

8)

bluehornetrider

The Mazda rotary engine swap is quite popular with spitfire very compact no body mods and very light but big power hike.  Should be good for about 120 plus bhp not keen on the wolf race wheels though, if they are genuine they would be worth the price of the import on their own, getting to be collectors items, they look to wide and would ruin the handling on the road, make it murder at low speeds without pas.