Forgot your password?

Another Classic joins the Fold!

Started by YellaBelly, 08, May, 2013, 02:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellaBelly

fullpint

8) Glad you stuck with the Yellow JB..

Moleman

At this rate we are going to have to change the club name to Yellow Kit Car Club.  :P

robp

Quote from: YellaBelly on 09, June, 2013, 10:23:37 PM

Blimey, might be a Midget but that car is build like the proverbial brick toilet!   :D :D :P

YellaBelly

Yep! But notice all the holes? They must be for making it lighter  :P :D

A couple of appetite wetters for you:

Filler....

More damn filler...

At last, Etch primed

God! How I love prepping for paint...NOT!!!

fullpint

But the more time spent prepping means less time spent on those final top coats..
It will be worth JB when the yellow starts going on.. 8)

robp

Top work, JB.

I must nip over to your place for some lessons before I kick off on the Spit bodywork.

YellaBelly

Quote from: robp on 02, July, 2013, 07:54:51 PM
Top work, JB.

I must nip over to your place for some lessons before I kick off on the Spit bodywork.

Better bring your overalls mate, I'll press-gang you into some work! :)

You're more than welcome to come over and I'll show you what I know, but I ain't no expert chap :)

I'll be around from Thursday with no more travel until September I hope, so maybe catching me mid-prep is going to give you the best help.

YellaBelly

Almost ready for etch and filler/primer now :) Trouble is, it's so damn hot that paint dries as soon as it hits the car!! I could try early in the morning but there is still a fair amount of dew in the air and I don't want to encourage the paint to bloom :o

[smg id=1321]
[smg id=1322]
[smg id=1323]

And no, the chairs are not for the audience :) they are for sitting on whilst resting panels etc. on the others :D

'The Gaffer'

I'd get something on there quick mate, it's likely to rust, even in this weather.

robp

Bulldog Bri

You have been working hard.... Jan.  :P

8)

Moleman

YellaBelly

Well, almost ready for etch & filler/primer so thought I'd move the midget into the garage and do the spraying indoors. I've created a masterpiece of DIY and got myself a spray booth! :D

Got 2 car cooling fans tie-wrapped into a heavy-duty cardboard box, wired up to a spare battery and sealed into the polythene.
When I ran them up, the sides of the polythene pulled in nicely, so it's removing the air OK  8).

Just got to wait for the weather to warm back up a little and the humidity to drop. Sunday is looking favourite at the moment, but we will see.

At least once she's primed it will be sealed against anymore moisture.

I would put a couple of pics up but.......

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: YellaBelly on 31, July, 2013, 08:48:46 PM
I would put a couple of pics up but.......

JB You should be able to use the add image to post feature. It's situated just above the post reply window ;)

YellaBelly

I tried that Phil, but when I click 'add image' nothing happens :( I assumed it was because of the thin down?

All I get is the ''. Seeing as I have no piccies in the gallery now I cannot put anything in between the quotes.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: YellaBelly on 01, August, 2013, 03:47:23 PM
I tried that Phil, but when I click 'add image' nothing happens :( I assumed it was because of the thin down?

All I get is the ''. Seeing as I have no piccies in the gallery now I cannot put anything in between the quotes.

You should be clicking on the actual words '* Add Image To Post' between the reply window and the row of smileys above. If you dont see those words let me know.

YellaBelly

AHA!! It works! :D

It's not what you know, it's who you know and what they know  ;D

Daley Down Under

'The Gaffer'

Excellent, nice pics :)

For those that have watched Dexter on TV,
he would have been proud of you :D

fullpint

Looks like some thing out of ET  :D :D
Like you said JB Its not what you know its who you know..
So when's the spraying starting?

Moleman

Looking good mate. Do you have the white overalls & a tunnel leading to the front door as well?  :)

YellaBelly

Managed to get the midget etch-primed and 2 coats of filler-primer on today. Bit damp outside but it wasn't too bad in the ET dome :D

Pretty pleased with the finish so far, getting a bit of overspray from the gun which leaves it a bit 'sandpaper' feeling, but it knocks back really easy with 400-grit to a nice flat surface. I think it's because the pressure drops too much after a couple of minutes so I just have to wait 'till it refills :(

I've got enough primer left for about 3 more coats, and then it's on with the final colour once the weather is a little drier and warmer. Should get 4-5 coats of colour. I am undecided as to whether get clearcoat as it's a a solid colour so not really needed, but it will give a deeper shine.

Anyhow, a few piccies:

Daley Down Under

YellaBelly

'The Gaffer'

fullpint

8) Looking good JB.. Looking forward to seeing the colour coat go on..

YellaBelly

Quote from: fullpint on 05, August, 2013, 04:57:32 PM
8) Looking good JB.. Looking forward to seeing the colour coat go on..

You and me both Steve :D

Thanks for the comments guys ;)

YellaBelly

WHAT HAVE I DONE??!! :o :o

Been waiting for the pimer to cure on the midget so I can begin the final rub down and whack some colour on! :D

So I've been tackling those really nice (NOT!) jobs like strip/clean the carbs. Everything seems to be in fine fettle but I won't know for sure until the first start-up :o

Carbs are back together now, just need to replace the flexible hoses etc.

Should be hitting the yellow paint this week, or the whisky, or both :)).

'The Gaffer'

Shiny carb  - Looking forward to seeing the paint.

YellaBelly

That's the one I haven't polished yet Phil. The other one has a nice shiny dashpot :D

'The Gaffer'

Damn, pretty good for an untouched one then 8)

fullpint

Can't wait JB to see the yellow.. Forecast is looking good for spraying  ;)

YellaBelly

Steve, you're as bad as the missus!! :D ;)

YellaBelly

Well, just spent 4 lovely hours in the garage doing the final prep and whacking some paint on the midget :D

Now the hard work begins!!

Need to leave it a couple of weeks then hit it with 1500-grit Wet & Dry then some cutting compound to get her looking nice and shiny  8)

I'm pretty pleased for a first attempt at celly spraying, just hope it lasts :)

Daley Down Under

That looks to have gone on a treat JB

YellaBelly

Thanks Adrian :D Took bl**dy long enough!

Not sure I could do this restoration lark for a living :)

Bulldog Bri

Looking great. Are you putting a clear coat on?

8)

robp

Top work, JB.

While the paint is fulling drying on the MG, I'll drop the Spit around for a blow-over!  Got plenty of Inca Yellow left over?   ;D :P :P

YellaBelly

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 29, August, 2013, 10:03:09 AM
Looking great. Are you putting a clear coat on?

8)

Nope, decided that cutting back with 1000-2000 grit W & D then cutting compound followed by a polish should be good. I'll just make sure I put lots of polymer polish on :D

@Rob, love to oblige mate, but I've just ripped down my spraying booth  :P  :P ;) - I have got some paint left though, and I reckon I'll need it after a couple of runs out judging by the amount of grit and rubbish on the roads lately  >:(  >:(

I don't mind popping over and giving you a few tips with what little knowledge I have mate :)