Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Porsche 928 s4

Started by bluehornetrider, 29, October, 2013, 04:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluehornetrider

Just picked up my new car, an '87 Porsche 928
Drives nice and the engine pulls sweet.
There are a few niggles that need sorting but hope to get on top of them soon. 

Can't believe I finally gotten myself a V8 and a Porsche feel 10 years old again. :P  320bhp and 1590Kg 

I'll try to post some pictures but my PC is still playing up. ???
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1384159_10151789115944615_333259744_n.jpg

fullpint

8) 928's are awesome. Good buy mate..
I've done a fair bit of work for a customer of mine who has a 928.
Poor guy had a fuel hose go and the engine bay got a little warm  :o

He's not long had it rebuilt.

bluehornetrider

did you do the paint work on the engine or the wheels?

fullpint

For this chap just his engine parts. Not seen his wheels yet. I do have a photo showing his car. Its ORANGE!! Nice tho.
I have done 959 wheels  8)

Moleman

That looks really tidy Steve.  :)

I will look forward to see the pictures bluehornetrider.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Look forward to the pics of the new car.

That fire was a real mess, looked like a write off. Nice work on the engine Steve.

YellaBelly

Got me treble checking the fuel lines on the Midget before her first start now :o ;)

bluehornetrider

Had a really nice run out with the wife to Wells then up through Cheddar gorge and home, great weather for October and not too much traffic the Porsche just munches miles, loved it! 8)

fullpint

I bet its just ticking over when rolling along at 60mph  8)
Sounds like you both like the Porsche.. What colour is it?

bluehornetrider

Gun metal grey with cup alloys, I'm still trying to post pictures but having issues.
it purrs along quite nicely until I slam the noise pedal and then it kicks you back into the seat and howls :P

fullpint

;D Cant wait to hear it.. Love V8's..
Cup alloys  8)

fullpint

Feel free to email a photo or two and I will pop it on this post if you want.

bluehornetrider

Got the car sideways taking my lad into Castle coombe for his Go karting.  Wet leaves and a heavy right foot, great fun! :P

fullpint

:D :D :D :D :D Hope you told him 'Do as I say not as I do'  ;D ;D

robp

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 05, November, 2013, 04:28:18 PM
Got the car sideways; great fun! :P

:D :D Love it!

Look forward to seeing some photos of the car.

bluehornetrider

I have managed to post a picture on my first feed.
I have tried to replace the headlight bulbs but I can't get one side off due to a rusted in screw any ideas how I can get the screw out?  I have wd40 sprayed it and have an impact driver but its on a glass light so am not too keen to try it :-\

Hairy Santa

try tightening as well as undoing -  - if you can get it to move either way you should be on a winner

Iancider

Cool motor - impressed :P

Rusty Screw - if you can get to it, try wire brushing and then rust removal solution rather than WD40.  Better still, try a decent hardware shop and look for Spirit of Salts (hydrochloric acid) - don't breath the fumes and wear gloves and eyeshields.   That will eat the rust pronto and will likely loosen the thread.  Neutralise with water afterwards.  As  a matter of habit I now tend to use Copper Slip (Grease) on just about every steel to steel thread and the Copper plates the steel to prevent rust seizing. At under a pound per tube it is a cheap trick.

Good luck - Ian

bluehornetrider

thanks for the advice, I'll try again but there isn't a lot of screw to get on and the head is starting to chew up.  I took the other side off and it looks like the other light screws were snapped off so the light is held in by half the screws as normal.  Changed the interior lights for LED's today and they look much better, including the glove box, after driving the car this evening found the speedo lights are either really dim or don't work, so that's something else to sort out.
??? 

fullpint

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 29, October, 2013, 04:28:01 PM
Just picked up my new car, an '87 Porsche 928
Drives nice and the engine pulls sweet.
There are a few niggles that need sorting but hope to get on top of them soon. 

Can't believe I finally gotten myself a V8 and a Porsche feel 10 years old again. :P  320bhp and 1590Kg 

I'll try to post some pictures but my PC is still playing up. ???
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1384159_10151789115944615_333259744_n.jpg
Loving the colour. Looks awesome mate..

bluehornetrider

I have ordered a few bits for the Porsche, unfortunately it's all from the states so I have to wait ages. 
I have changed all the interior lamps and they now work and are brighter with less draw.  I also sorted out the dash lights, there is a dash light dimmer rheostat that gets a bit electricaly unreliable.  So after a spray with contact cleaner and a bit of playing with it now works.  I'm waiting on a blue light upgrade set to arrive so that I can brighten it all up some.
The wipers didn't work very well, very slow and stopped or didn't move on slow settings, this was down to the same problem as on the dash lights.  I tried to clean the rheostat but with less effect.  So I replaced the relay for a VW item that bypasses the speed control and operates wiper speed control itself, problem solved.
I now need to sort the screen wash bottle as it leaks out more water than I can put in it, but I can't get to it!

bluehornetrider

I have finally received the cowl cover and spare wheel cover from America.  Had to pay £30 import duty which stung a bit! :o
Had another import letter from the bits I've ordered from Canada had to pay over £32 this time. :o  It all looked are great price when I bought the stuff. ???

Moleman

Sorry to hear that mate. At least it made it to you ok.  :)

'The Gaffer'

All looking great. Yep always bargain in duty and VAT :(

Bulldog Bri

I've given up buying from the states, as this is always such a stinger when the bit arrives, :o but Europe or the far east no prob's ;)

8)

bluehornetrider

Got the porsche dash, clock and heater control out of the car today and changed the bulbs for LEDs, might take a few more days to put it all back together again though.

'The Gaffer'

Have you changed the colour of the bulbs?

Nice bit of tinkering :)

bluehornetrider

Gone for blue led's in the clock and heater controls white leds for the main gauges, all fitted, just need some more daylight to fit it all back together again ;D
Need to look for another central warning panel as when I removed it the circuit board on the back snapped and the clock although it works has LCD bleed which spoils the look.  But I can't justify paying $500 for a new one, I'll just have to trawl through the breakers till I find a good one.

'The Gaffer'

No way you can repair it? $500 sounds like a lot of dosh :o

bluehornetrider

Your right 500 dollars is outrageous but there doesn't seem to be much available, I can pick up a used one for around 100.
I have glued the circuit board back together but don't know if it works or not, just trying to find parts in this country is a real pain!

'The Gaffer'

bluehornetrider

Put all the gubbins back in the car and plugged it all together, looked at the speedo and noticed a little bit of paper covering the odo >:(
Took it all apart again in the process pulled some wires out of the newly installed led, managed to solder it back together and get it back into the car.
Plugged it all back together screwed everything up tight all back straight, looked at the dials and noticed the speedo was sat at 30mph, looking at it closer it looks to be bent and stuck there. ???
I'll have to take it all apart again! I did power it all up and it all lit up, but need to see it in the dark to check it properly.
When I started the car to check the lights the revs were up by around 500rpm but not sure why, it was cold but it's not done it before.  Don't know if the A/C panel works or not, it did light up.
The alarm went off once I'd reconnected the battery so I hope to not have any more issues with that.   

fullpint

Have you joined the 928 forum? I could ask one of my customer if he can help in any?

bluehornetrider

I have joined the 928 forum rennlist but it's a bit US based.  I can get all the bits I need but they have to be shipped over ???  Does anyone know if you have to pay customs duty on used parts?

Bulldog Bri

Generally, you have to pay customs on anything from the States. >:( Go to Ebay first

8)

bluehornetrider

bluehornetrider

Took all the dash out again bent the speedo straight, checked all the bulbs worked the put it all back together.  Reconnected the battery and everything seems to work, even the panel I snapped. I do only seem to have 1 of the 3 dash lights working but I'm not pulling it all out again!

Iancider

Lots of sympathy - these production cars are not designed for modification or repair.  I recently tried to change a Headlight bulb on a Japmobile and had to dislocate the bones in my hand to do it.  And this week it blew again Oh Joy!  :o

fullpint

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 26, November, 2013, 12:13:53 PM
I have joined the 928 forum rennlist but it's a bit US based.  I can get all the bits I need but they have to be shipped over ???  Does anyone know if you have to pay customs duty on used parts?
When we had wheels coming in for repair from the USA we would ask the customer to put on the invoice; NCV, no commercial value, used parts. Or if the value of the parts is say $400 ask them to do a shipping/custom invoice for say $100 then you pay less import duty..

bluehornetrider

Had the screen wash fixed today, all good. I then decided to replace my driving lamps as I had the replacements and tools with me. I removed one side all good then when I removed the drivers side I had to use my screw extractor as it was solid, one sheared off the screw head and the other sheared the plastic retaining bracket, so I ended up with a front glass headlight and fog light that had no fixing to the car.  I now need to find a new light cluster retaining piece.  Bugger!   I managed to bodge a fix with self tapping screws but will need to replace at some point.