+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

bhp per tonne website

Started by alastair, 14, September, 2014, 03:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alastair

Found this site which I thought may be of interest to some of you guys. Its a list of production cars in order of bhp per tonne.
On high boost the mini is currently 266bhp per tonne so has more power to weight than a E46 M3 CSL, Audi RS4 touring, Merc S class AMG.
How do you guys compare?
http://www.autosnout.com/Cars-Bhp-Per-Ton-List.php

Lucky Ed

My 378.3 bhp/tonne puts me just ahead of an Aston Martin Vanquish V12, and 0.1 behind a Ferrari 458 :o ;D

Hairy Santa

Lucky Ed

Hairy Santa

Moleman

I've forgotten how to work it out again.    550kg with 257bhp?   :-[

Iancider

It is 1500kg to a metric tonne so 550 is just over a third of a tonne and magnifies the bhp per tonne by 1500/550 or 2.72 times 257 = 701 Bhp per tonne.

Strictly speaking we should add back in the weight of the driver which which is the all-up weight of the car will give a lower figure - but in this case that's not as lot!  :D :P

But that got me thinking -  500kg car 250 Bhp driven by a 70kg driver and a 100 kg driver.  What is the difference?

Light driver:    676 Bhp per tonne
Heavy driver   642 Bhp per tonne

So you need 34 more horsepower you make the heavy drive as quick.  So go easy on the pork pies and save money on food and tuning!

Lucky Ed

Soz Ian, but I think you will find it's 1000kg in a metric tonne, unless I've been short changed over the years!

So Molemans car is;

257 divided by 0.55 = 467 bhp/tonne ................ simples ;D

benchmark51

Quote from: Moleman on 14, September, 2014, 08:42:22 PM

257 / 550 = 0.46727272727 * 1000 = 467.2

I tink

Moleman

Sounds good enough to me. I'm only 70kg too so just under that in total then.  8)

Lucky Ed

Quote from: benchmark51 on 14, September, 2014, 09:09:38 PM
Quote from: Moleman on 14, September, 2014, 08:42:22 PM

257 / 550 = 0.46727272727 * 1000 = 467.2

I tink

Krek - the 0.2 makes all the difference ;D

Quote from: Moleman on 14, September, 2014, 09:15:10 PM
Sounds good enough to me. I'm only 70kg too so just under that in total then.  8)

I think some ballast is in order at Pembrey to even things up - maybe you should be made to carry one of the larger members of our club during the day, don't know who to suggest but no one springs to mind at the moment ;D ;D ;D

Lucky Ed

A little explanation of the different types of 'tons'

What is the difference between the short ton, long ton, and metric ton.
The British ton is the long ton, which is 2240 pounds, and the U.S. ton is the short ton which is 2000 pounds.

Both tons are actually defined in the same way. 1 ton is equal to 20 hundredweight. It is just the definition of the hundredweight that differs between countries. In the U.S. there are 100 pounds in the hundredweight, and in Britain there are 112 pounds in the hundredweight. This causes the actual weight of the ton to differ between countries.

To distinguish between the two tons, the smaller U.S. ton is called short, while the larger British ton is called long.

There is also an third type of ton called the metric ton, equal to 1000 kilograms, or approximately 2204 pounds. The metric ton is officially called tonne. The SI standard calls it tonne, but the U.S. Government recommends calling it metric ton.

Oh blimey I'm turning into Iancider :o ;D

Moleman

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 14, September, 2014, 09:36:36 PM
Oh blimey I'm turning into Iancider :o ;D

That is funny. Sorry Ian.  :P :-*  What would we do without your technical know how?  ;)

Iancider

Yeah, okay - I screwed it. ::) :-[

Bhp per ton and Bhp per tonne

At British Long Ton is often approximated to 2.2lbs per kg so that is close to 1000kg

It is 1500 metres to a mile! I goofed.

The point remains that a driver will be faster before breakfast and anybody who has two breakfasts will be slower still.  Anybody who eats a mountain wont be going anywhere fast! :P