AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Machine Shop or someone with the right tools?

Started by CrisisWolf, 23, November, 2014, 06:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrisisWolf

Okay so simply one of my upright bolts (top rear) sheared off. The bottom and top front are fine but the bolt sheared off on the top rear. I've not been able to budge it for love nor money.

Today I bought a set of Screw Extractors and they still haven't done the job. Only last thought I've had is to keep drilling and hope the remaining parts of the bolt inside the upright collapses.

Just to be clear:

In the second photo where there is a loose looking bolt just above the cycle wing support is what needs 'sorting'

So far my efforts have failed. Does anyone in/around Bristol have the tools to drill out and re-thread this (either a member or someone recommend a machine shop)? Think its all M6 but if it had to be oversized I could adjust the cycle wing bracket.

Dixie

Get a nut and weld into place over the part of the protruding bolt .  Then you can extract.

M

CrisisWolf

I have no welding kit, and the drilling out already commenced.

Iancider

I would suggest it is wise to remove the whole upright (which is admitedly a bigish job) so that you can take it to a machine shop for a proper repair.  It looks like the steel bolt has been driven home hard in an Ali blind threaded hole.  The Ali to Steel chemical bond can be strong and enough to snap the bolt especially if it was not high tensile.  Ideally Copper slip should be used on the thread or ptfe tape to stop the alloying but now it has hppened is is just a case of recovery. 

I therefore strongly recommend a machine shop who would jig this and bore it out straight and true.  Normally this would be bored right out and a Helicoil thread repalcement inserted into an oversize hole.  The outer thread is locked and the inner would be left releasable.   As this is not a safety critical function this type of repair is suitable.  Almost any engineering company would do this so pick a local one but if you can't find one then post again and soembody will know somebody who can.

Regards
Ian

CrisisWolf

Ian

Sounds roughly what I had in mind. Just didnt know of any recommended places. Upright isnt too bad to get off looking at it - its getting the brake disc and hub seperated off. Then I can hopefully get (as you said) the hole re-drilled straight and true and an insert put in back for M6 and job done.

Any Bristol(ish) based places people know of, have used and can recommend would be useful.

Lucky Ed

I can recommend Bowden Engineering, Redfield Rd, Patchway. 01179 693355.

They are a father & son outfit and have turned out some great engine work for me in the past. Worth a call ;D

Camber Dave

I can fix it

I have M6 helicoils here

SN16 0JZ
07977 948883

Dave

Iancider

Its a great club this - isn't it!

Any question you ask just gets answered perfectly and instantly.

So, where can I get a million quid?  :D

CrisisWolf

I shall see if I can remove the upright at the weekend.

Thank you for the kind offer Dave - I think it would be rude not to despite the extra few miles! Awaiting new brakes as well so will do the lot in one. Hoping to get it on the road for a dry crisp winters day drive!

garry h

Quote from: Iancider on 24, November, 2014, 07:46:46 PM

try your nearest lottery shop  ;)

Hairy Santa

Quote from: Iancider on 24, November, 2014, 07:46:46 PM

most banks will oblige, all you need is a balaclava and a gun, or just become a MP - both ways seem to work but if you get caught as a MP breaking the law you wont get done  ::)