Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Zenos E10S

Started by Crunchie Gears, 15, September, 2015, 11:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crunchie Gears

I got my V5 for my Zenos today and organised some insurance.  :-*

The problem is work is so busy I cannot take the time off to collect it. :'( during the week.  This weekend I am going to do the Evo Triangle staying over and coming back Sunday.  Next week does not look good either. :-[

I may have to get it collected  :-\

Facial Hair Optional

I'd never heard of the Evo Traingle until I read your post. I am sure there are others who also haven't, so for all us in the dark, here it is!!...

http://www.greatestdrivingroads.com/great_roads/The_Evo_Triangle.html

Have a great time Crunchie, it looks awesome!!  8)

Facial Hair Optional

I may go do this one myslef as it's close by...

http://www.greatestdrivingroads.com/great_roads/B3135.html

Thanks for thie idea Crunchie!!

Where is your Zenos coming from?

jmad

FHO  if you do this one make sure you go up through the gorge rather than the route they say through draycott

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 16, September, 2015, 10:18:01 AM

Facial Hair Optional

Okey doke! Any particular reason?

jmad

Just that the gorge is one of the best bits and for some reason the default route seems to avoid it.

Facial Hair Optional

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 16, September, 2015, 10:18:01 AM

Thanks for thie idea Crunchie!!

Where is your Zenos coming from?

A few of my mates do Cheddar every year.  I have not done it yet but would be up for it next year.

Although the Evo T has a reputation it also has a few police too.  I think some of the roads in Wales are brilliant and would be a good w/e blatt maybe. 

The Zenos is coming from the Zenos factory in Wymondham Norfolk.  I have got a lift up there next Tuesday with a stay over  in a local pub and collect it early to get back for work.

Moleman

I hope it all goes well for you. 
The Evo triangle does look good, maybe one for next year.

Crunchie Gears

Do you guys use TomTom .itn files to navigate the routes you want to do?

Moleman

Mine needs updating but Ian's is a good one that you can set routes on it.

Crunchie Gears

In which case I will get some routes organised and post them up to see if there is any interest when there is a change of it being dry. :D

benchmark51

I don't. I tend to head for somewhere and change my mind and head off up a road I can't remember using before. This gets me well and truly lost and the fun is 'find your way home' without any maps! Sometimes I find some good places, sometimes not - either way I enjoy it.

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: benchmark51 on 17, September, 2015, 01:50:59 PM
I don't. I tend to head for somewhere and change my mind and head off up a road I can't remember using before. This gets me well and truly lost and the fun is 'find your way home' without any maps! Sometimes I find some good places, sometimes not - either way I enjoy it.

Haha that is an adventure :D. Sounds good fun

there is room for both ways IMO.  Sometimes, particularly if you have a group, you can all go roughly the same route and meet at preset places to regroup and have a banter.

Facial Hair Optional

I'm with Dave on this one.

Personally I'm big fan of good old fashioned paper maps. Stopping to try and figure things out like 'where the hell are we?' is all part of the fun!

My main concern in a kit car with a small tank is running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere! I can see myself getting a nice colour coded brand spanking new jerry can for next year. Strap it down on the passenger side floor and we're good to go. Plus, if I'm on my own, better weight distribution!!  ;D

Dear Father Christmas.........

Crunchie Gears

Maps do work and give you a good idea where you are in time and space.

What I like about itinerary files on TomTom is that if you are going for it it shows you if you are going into a hairpin or a kink in the road.  It makes a difference in the pace.

I have organised a trip to Wales this weekend and the routes are organised stops for coffee, fuel, chocolate (don't ask) and Hotel all on the itns.  I have also printed the maps and screen grabbed the google street images for the navigators.  But if you are by yourself a .itn is faster, safer and you can go at your own pace.

Facial Hair Optional

If you know what the heck one is!!! All new to me (and others I bet) Sat Nav is handy but I have always found you just cannot get the 'overall' view of what's around you. You can be driving right by great stuff a mile away and have no clue half the time. Great to efficiently get to where you want to be, but not so great to ad hoc explore as you go.

.itn sounds useful if your aim is the fastest time point to point but that is totally not at all not why I like to drive out in the sticks. I can go at my own pace in any case, map or no map (of any kind)!!  ;D

Maybe I need to experience it to appreciate it but I really do feel that in some cases more 'modern' is not always better and can take away from the 'experience'. Of course it does depend on what 'experience' you are after! Like rally pace notes, knowing there is a bend coming might make you quicker but doesnt necessarily mean you have more skill (or more fun). In fact it may take more skill to handle a bend you were not expecting!

Also I never map read while driving so I would argue the 'safer' bit, it's a well known fact that looking at or even listening to devices in the car (SatNav/mobile phones!) brings a higher risk of accidents. And in some cases actually causes them.

They both have their place, but it is far from black and white. Sat Nav - efficient.  Maps - more fun (IMHO!) A combo of the two - ideal as and when you need them, perfecto! All personal choice at the end of the day. Maybe it's a generational thing? I'm old school! Or is it ole skool these days ha ha!!

Whatever Crunchie I have no doubt you will be QUICK and enjoy yourself I bet!! Tell us more when you return home safe and sound!

Crunchie Gears

FHO I think your analogy of pace notes is a good one.

This weekend the ladies are going so it will be quick but nothing more.

Try downloading Tyre to Travel on your PC and you will see better how it works.  You looked up the best driving roads and with tyre you can make a itinerary file which makes your satnav go down those specific roads.

As for missing the site seeing you are right, it is best preplanned, as it really concentrates to mind if you are driving quickly through the mountains for example.

If you want me to send some examples pm me and I will send you some which you can view on tyre.

benchmark51

All the fuel gauges in Ratbag and the bonking bus have minds of their own. For that reason I always carry fuel cans in both. Ratbag can run out halfway between E and 1/4, the bus can be anywhere between E and 1/2 but there is the warning light. The gas gauge is fairly good though. I'm quite used to it all now, but still like spare cans just in case.

I like satnav for specific journeys. I was freaked out on my first use of satnav. Got me from home to an address in Birmingham with no problem. Felt a bit spooky! Mind you some people believe in them too much, like the taxi driver that ended up in a river, and the HGV that got stuck between two buidings :o ;D.

I like guessing though, you can find some great places by accident.

Facial Hair Optional

Ok Crunchie, cool! Cheers I will download that tomorrow and have a good look. I may yet be converted!!! Always happy to learn from others  :)

Facial Hair Optional

A lot of the best places I have discovered have been by accident Dave I agree, though I did once stumble into a dogging site! That was an eye opener I can assure you!!  :o :o :o

benchmark51

I go to one every day, to empty Rex out!

Iancider

QuoteMy main concern in a kit car with a small tank is running out of fuel in the middle of nowhere!

I was told that a bottle of Whisky would get you to the nearest petrol station.

- Not sure I'd be able to relocate the car if I drank that much!  :o

Lucky Ed

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 17, September, 2015, 10:08:51 PM
A lot of the best places I have discovered have been by accident Dave I agree, though I did once stumble into a dogging site! That was an eye opener I can assure you!!  :o :o :o

How many times have you been 'accidentally' been back there FHO ;)

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 17, September, 2015, 10:34:06 PM

It was just Lucky Ed  ;D

Crunchie Gears

I do not think dogging sites are in Points Of Interest on my satnav but maybe one can download a file :-*

Perhaps you could write the file when you download tyre FHO  ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Don't go there Ed! (This is getting weird on so many levels now)

I went back once in the Tiger, then I remembered that curiosity killed the Cat (E1) ha ha  :P  So next time I took a different car!

There are more of them about that people realise Crunchie!  ;)

In fact I seem to recall there used to be a list online somewhere. Allegedly.  :-[

Moleman

It is getting off putting seeing FHO watching me all the time Ed.  ::)

Facial Hair Optional

Not as off putting as it is for me Colin, I was just parked up trying to have a flippin picnic not get involved in one of your Furries gatherings!!!!  ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P

Crunchie Gears

Got back from North Wales and the Evo Triangle today.

There are bit of the Evo Triangle that are just brilliant ;D ;D the road twists and turns and swoops and climbs like a roller coaster. :o  :P. It has some fast stretches with quick bends.  Then sweeping bends one after the other some quicker than others. 

On the upper leg as it approaches the A5 the road tightens and the dry stone walls get closer.  I slowed down a bit there. ::)

So, well worth a go;  although there was some traffic on the road, including 18 Mini Mokes coming the other way and the occasional local not driving very fast.

To be fair there are great driving road through out N. Wales and next time it will have to be a little longer visit.  I was also surprised at the number of tourist!

Oh, and on the way up we met up with a couple of guys who work for Morgan at the Morgan where they promptly showed me a plus 8 in metallic Black with red leather interior and told me it had my name on it, it was a peach :-*. head Office liked it too.  They are going to give me some prices to swop mine for it.  It has automatic or you can use flappy paddles. Not sure I can afford it but I can dream.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 19, September, 2015, 04:30:16 PM

It is getting off putting seeing FHO watching me all the time Ed.  ::)

Does your WIFE know about these night time activities of yours Colin???  :o :o :P :P :-* :-*

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Crunchie Gears on 20, September, 2015, 11:15:20 PM
Got back from North Wales and the Evo Triangle today.

There are bit of the Evo Triangle that are just brilliant ;D ;D the road twists and turns and swoops and climbs like a roller coaster. :o  :P. It has some fast stretches with quick bends.  Then sweeping bends one after the other some quicker than others. 

On the upper leg as it approaches the A5 the road tightens and the dry stone walls get closer.  I slowed down a bit there. ::)

So, well worth a go;  although there was some traffic on the road, including 18 Mini Mokes coming the other way and the occasional local not driving very fast.

To be fair there are great driving road through out N. Wales and next time it will have to be a little longer visit.  I was also surprised at the number of tourist!

Oh, and on the way up we met up with a couple of guys who work for Morgan at the Morgan where they promptly showed me a plus 8 in metallic Black with red leather interior and told me it had my name on it, it was a peach :-*. head Office liked it too.  They are going to give me some prices to swop mine for it.  It has automatic or you can use flappy paddles. Not sure I can afford it but I can dream.
Buy it! You know you want to!!  :D Sounds like you had a fab time Crunchie. 18 Mini Mokes though, are there even that many still in existence?!  ;D

Daley Down Under

Sounds fantastic

PS: the Mokes were a week early for International Moke Day (IMD) on 27th Sept

Cheers Adrian

Moleman

It sounds like you had a really good run out.  8)