Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Interested in TVR's?

Started by Gary RH7, 18, September, 2015, 09:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linked Events

Gary RH7

Facial Hair Optional

Oooh, now that looks like it might be worth a visit (time/weather/health/car working/the Mrs agreeing, permitting!)

I quite like TVRs though they do get a bit of a slagging off on the PH forums for being a bit shoddy and unreliable.

One d :o ck even had the nerve to suggest they were like kit cars!!! How very dare he!!!  :P

I love the bit that say "LOUDEST CAR COMPETITION - MANAGED BY THE ESSEX BOYS" says it all really doesn't it! Maybe we should invite them to Queens Square!

benchmark51

Looks do-able, only about 30 miles from Warmley.
Weather permitting I might go.

CC Cyclone

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 18, September, 2015, 10:18:57 AM

I quite like TVRs though they do get a bit of a slagging off on the PH forums for being a bit shoddy and unreliable.

One d :o ck even had the nerve to suggest they were like kit cars!!! How very dare he!!!  :P

Well, I had a brief foray into TVR ownership a few years ago with a Tamora & T350. The T350 was a lovely car but nothing was screwed together properly on either of them. Bits of the interior would regularly come loose or disappear completely, the fuel tanks on both of them leaked into the boot reguarlry, they would often refuse to start for no reason only to fire up 5 minutes later. I once had to call the AA to come and open the bonnet on the hard shoulder of the M1 as it was stuck and asked him while he was there if he could work out why the exhaust manifold had undone itself, before we even get onto the fact that on the same road, same conditions, same driving style and input I would get understeer one minute and over steer the next...

Having said all that it was fun and for those who love to knock them, I always point out how much they used to cost. Peanuts compared to most sports cars or similar power levels and therefore in my view, despite all the faults, they were good value for money.

I should add I have had several kits that have had much higher build quality, depends who built them!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: CC Cyclone on 18, September, 2015, 10:33:14 AM

I should add I have had several kits that have had much higher build quality, depends who built them!

I was just about to say - 'so, like a kit car but worse then!!'

Moleman

If I haven't got anything on next week then I might go.  :)

sanzomat

I may be up for that too if I'm free. Its a nice run to Kemble too.

Facial Hair Optional

Did you go on your blat tonight Dave? Sorry I couldnt come, by the time Mike texted me I had been out twice and put everything away. With my current storage situation it's not that straightfoward to get a car out as quickly as I'd like to.  Beautiful weather for it though wasnt it! Hope you managed to get a good run out at least. See you for a chat at the ADC tomorrow if your are there.

sanzomat

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 19, September, 2015, 08:04:21 PM
Did you go on your blat tonight Dave? Sorry I couldnt come, by the time Mike texted me I had been out twice and put everything away. With my current storage situation it's not that straightfoward to get a car out as quickly as I'd like to.  Beautiful weather for it though wasnt it! Hope you managed to get a good run out at least. See you for a chat at the ADC tomorrow if your are there.

Hi Steve, Yes, not long back. I didn't have your number so hoped I could catch you in time via Mike but the texts take a while to get to Dublin and back. It was really a last minute thought as I got back and the weather was so nice. Got your number now so I'll contact direct next time!

Facial Hair Optional

Cool. Catch you tomorrow morning for ten mins anyway.

paintman

Gary RH7

I dropped a line to the organiser of this event. See response below.

Hi Gary,
We are very glad that you are interested in the Open Day. Whilst you are most welcome to come, due to the restricted parking available in the business park we only allow entry to the Park for TVRs although there is a very small limited display area for High Performance Super Cars.  Therefore, we have agreed with a local farmer that we can use one of his fields as an overspill car park.  You are most welcome to use this field if you wish.  As a fan of kit cars it is disappointing there is not enough room to get you in, indeed this year with possibly a few hundred  TVRs expected we may have to get some of the TVRs to park there as well. The field is around 200 metres from the entrance to the business park . If you come park in the field and walk to the park where entry is free.  I hope you understand our position we would love to have had you in a display area where this year the theme is Hot Rods. Perhaps next year our theme could be kit cars.
We look forward to seeing you and your colleagues bearing in mind the above.
Warmest regards,
David Border
TVRCC WILTSHIRE REGION ORGANISER & Chairman Open Day Organising Committee

I will be going as it will be interesting to see all the bits that are not related to farming or vintage cars, and they have food BM51 :P

http://www.neilgarner.co.uk/News/76/

Anyone else up for this??

Facial Hair Optional

If the weather is half decent I may well go, I do actually like TVR's and nearly bought a Cerbera last year when I decided I wanted to move on from the Tiger. It was from that neck of the woods too and was very well sorted. I'm fairly sure it will be at the show so I'd like to se what I missed out on too.

Moleman

If the weather is nice then it is a yes from me.  :)

Gary RH7

Weather is going to be good.
Anybody want to meet up before and convoy up. Possibly Hullavington Karting. What time is good for you?? Opens at 9:30.

Moleman

I really can't say when I will head up there at the moment. I'm hoping to be there for about 11am though. So I will have to meet you there.  :)

Moleman

I will be heading up the A433 & should definitely be there by 11 but will be leaving at 2 at the latest. Picking up my new windscreen first so that will be my Sunday job.  8)

Gary RH7

OK Colin, see you there.

Anyone else comming along?

Looks like I will be waiting at J17 on the A429 for the Portsmouth area TVR convoy at about 10:00

Facial Hair Optional

Only just looked on Goog maps to see where this is at. Nice roads either way, in fact the A46/A433 is one of my fave early morning Sunday blats.

May come, may not. Won't be sure til the morning. If I do I'll see you there guys. If I have another night of insomnia, you may find me there asleep in the car at 7am!!! (brrrr - cold)

21.8 miles, 38 minutes from my place according to Goog. We shall see eh?? I bet it aint!!!!   ;D

Iancider

I cant go cos I've got chores to do but I will be there in spirit - enjoy yourselves!
Ian

benchmark51

I will be leaving the White Hart at 10 a.m. ETA 11'ish using A433 route.

Facial Hair Optional

Will be leaving the Yate area at about 9.25am (ish) and meeting Gary RH7 at J17 M4/A429 to convoy up with the Portsmouth area TVR crew  :)

fullpint

I will try my very best (honest) to be at J17 for 10ish to see the convoy.. Got to do a few things here first so could be tight timing..

Gary RH7

Facial Hair Optional

Turned out that 5 of us met up, not a bad showing at a TVR event! Some nice cars there, I particularly liked the TVR Sagaris, awesome paint colours, but within even ten year old ones fetching nigh on £60k, well out of my range and though very nice I would not pay that for one anyway!!

This was my 1st run of any distance in the ASBO, she did very well, I was a bit cold 1st thing but great later in the day. I brimmed the tank b4 I left and as soon as I got back. The fuel is visible in the tank neck so I can do it mm perfect. I worked out the fuel consumption at 35.06mpg, not bad!! Also checked the mileometer for accuracy by zooming in on Google maps and plotting the exact route I took even down to a 300 metre detour we did when we overshot the turn off, which came out at 50.5 miles with my mileometer showing 50.6 Very happy with that indeed!  :) I think that probably means the speedo is accurate too?

All in all a fun day as usual. Cheers to Gary RH7, Steve Fullpint, Dave Benchmark and Colin Moleman for the adventure.

benchmark51

Good day for a run, weather was so good had to do sumfin 8). Saved £7.50 by not having a burger and coffee, but spent £300 on a tablet :-X. Hope she's in a good mood tonight ;D. Fitted the floor panel to the rear tub, another job out the way :). Few sherberts tonight.

Iancider

Any pics for those who couldn't make it?

Ian

Facial Hair Optional

I have a few I will load later Ian, but I think fullpint will have the best ones, he had a proper-job camera!

Facial Hair Optional

Gary RH7

Wasn't a bad day and it was good to see some of you guys. Thanks for the pics Steve.
Good job you didn't stop for the burger Colin, I took me 20 mins in the queue but it did taste good. Expensive though.
Didn't manage to talk to the organiser but I will drop him a line.

Iancider

Thanks for the pics FHO - they were GRRRRRRREAT!

Facial Hair Optional

The sun was incredibly bright and with only a camera phone they were not the best, too much contrast and a few with a kind of 'sunburst effect' making them look foggy.

I was so busy talking to the lads and a very knowledgable young lad in the garage about an Ariel Atom which was having it's engine stripped that I forgot to take pictures! The owner had blown the engine up through it overheating because he had re-routed the standard Ariel cooling system and it was no longer doing the job properly, You could see where the rod had smashed it's way through the crankcase. I should have got some pics of that....'here's what not to do' would have been the title!

Guess where he had this mishap??? Combe of course!!  ;D

Moleman

It was a good day & a good run through Tetbury for me. I saw 3 other kits on the way & I think I saw Camber Dave in his van.

I stopped off at a mates garage on the way to see this Tripos which he was doing a MOT.

Then met up with the rest of the guys at the show.

Iancider

Tripos - that's a new one to me.  Interesting shark shape body!

Facial Hair Optional

Moleman

That is the same one mate. It is based down in Axbridge somewhere & I don't think that there was many built. 

Facial Hair Optional

Quite rare I think Colin. Those pics were from Combe back in the late 90's apparently so it's probably been around locally for a fair while I would think.

I really liked the yellow Ginetta too. The guy had proudly put a type written A4 info sheet on the dash, 0 to 60mph in 4.9secs and 0 to 100 in 12.8

Colin later told me what his does 0 to 100mph in!! No comparison!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :o :o :o :o :o

At least it was yellow though eh Col? I did check the rear end, no worries mate, not an angry hornet in sight!!  :P :P :-*

Moleman

My local garage has been doing the MOT on it since 1987.

Facial Hair Optional

And it's not a BKCC member? You're slipping Colin!  :P

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 27, September, 2015, 07:36:14 AM
Thanks for the pics FHO - they were GRRRRRRREAT!

Tony the Tiger impression courtesy of Ian there folks !  :P