News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

My new toy.. And it isn't a car..

Started by 'The Gaffer', 21, October, 2013, 12:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

'The Gaffer'

Welcome to the world of Power Kites 8)

I decided it was about time I got a work-out but without the boredom of a gym so I got myself a PowerKite. This sucker really pulls hard in a 12 - 20 mph wind but a gust of about 25mph nearly lifted me off the ground. Great fun, but a sport that demands respect me thinks.

This was my first outing with my new kite today, it was raining and the grass was slippery which didn't help much.

Anybody else into kiting?

Daley Down Under

Phil - looks like a good sized Flexifoil you've got there.  Great kites - mine's a 10 foot.  They are fantastic in strong winds - get ready for some sore arms  :D

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

Hi Adrian.

This one is a Ozone Octane 3 m2. It's my legs that are aching at the moment but I'm sure the arms will follow suit tomorrow :o

There was another guy where we flew today with a 7 m2, he was fighting like you have never seen and his kite was soon back in the bag. His mate with a 3.5 m2 was flying though the grass on his ass and back. Scared me a bit but soon got mine up and felt the force 8)

Got any pics of your kite?

Oh, and if you are completely insane, try  jumping over Brighton Pier using a power kite...

And if you really want to die, try using a too big kite in some too big winds...

stevel

That looks great fun Phil.  We (my son and I) started with a HQ Symphony which is a perfect 2 line kite.  Charlie (11) now has a 2m Pansh Flux and I have got the 3m.  The 4 line experience is lots of fun, have you perfected your brake turns yet??

Great fun and very addictive, it really pays to start with low winds and gusts are your enemy, I know from experience!!  You cannot beat the beach for flying a kite.

Daley Down Under

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 21, October, 2013, 01:03:27 AM

Phil - cant find any immediate pics.  Will take some when next out with the kite

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: stevel on 21, October, 2013, 09:19:05 AM
That looks great fun Phil.  We (my son and I) started with a HQ Symphony which is a perfect 2 line kite.  Charlie (11) now has a 2m Pansh Flux and I have got the 3m.  The 4 line experience is lots of fun, have you perfected your brake turns yet??

Great fun and very addictive, it really pays to start with low winds and gusts are your enemy, I know from experience!!  You cannot beat the beach for flying a kite.

I did really enjoy myself but the wind was pretty unpredictable and eventually just died. Just as well though as I was soaked and knackered.

I think the 3m was a good choice but I can see a few face-plants coming up. It's very scary when you get caught out with a gust isn't it :o

As for brake turns, no way just yet, but I did manage to get the kite up using the brakes when it landed upside down.

Where do you fly Steve? Got any pics of both of you with your kites?

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 21, October, 2013, 09:25:54 AM
Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 21, October, 2013, 01:03:27 AM

Phil - cant find any immediate pics.  Will take some when next out with the kite

Nice one Adrian

fullpint

Always fancied one of those kites... Got me thing now  ;D

Pilgrim Anna

Well done Phil! Glad you have a new hobby.
Have fun but  be careful though.  :P

Moleman

Have you thought of trying it with roller skates on?  :P

I got a kite at the exibition at aston court this year.

Not quite the same as yours though.  :-[ :D

YZFMINI

Yup i liked using my power kit when i was a bit younger.. made my own bugy for it as well.
I could not afford a flexifoil at the time. and only had a 1.5m long one. and well you all know im not the biggest person and that would lift me up. the biggest lift i has was about 4ft i think..
Is it a 2 or 4 line one. if you can get the padded hooks that go round you arm so you dont actualy have to hold on..
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=padded%20kite%20wrist%20straps&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.55123115,d.Yms,pv.xjs.s.en_US.Ag3CcnQBszM.O&biw=1394&bih=795&dpr=1&wrapid=tlif138242644442111&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=TCdmUojnFqjS0QWR_IHoBg

My new house has a field behind so i may end up getting it out some time..
Though with the skills i have now im sure i can make a better buggy now.. but some times those buggys and kites come up cheap on ebay..

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Moleman on 21, October, 2013, 08:31:17 PM
Have you thought of trying it with roller skates on?  :P

I got a kite at the exibition at aston court this year.

Not quite the same as yours though.  :-[ :D

Wow thats a big one!!
I didnt need roller skates on wet grass, I was litterally being pulled along in my pic above :o

Quote from: Pilgrim Anna on 21, October, 2013, 07:39:32 PM
Well done Phil! Glad you have a new hobby.
Have fun but  be careful though.  :P

I will be careful Anna, thank you, I have realised that powerkiting is is definitely a sport to be respected :)

Quote from: fullpint on 21, October, 2013, 03:20:05 PM
Always fancied one of those kites... Got me thing now  ;D

Go for it 8)

Quote from: YZFMINI on 22, October, 2013, 08:24:04 AM
Yup i liked using my power kit when i was a bit younger.. made my own bugy for it as well.
I could not afford a flexifoil at the time. and only had a 1.5m long one. and well you all know im not the biggest person and that would lift me up. the biggest lift i has was about 4ft i think..
Is it a 2 or 4 line one. if you can get the padded hooks that go round you arm so you dont actualy have to hold on..
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=padded%20kite%20wrist%20straps&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.&bvm=bv.55123115,d.Yms,pv.xjs.s.en_US.Ag3CcnQBszM.O&biw=1394&bih=795&dpr=1&wrapid=tlif138242644442111&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=TCdmUojnFqjS0QWR_IHoBg

My new house has a field behind so i may end up getting it out some time..
Though with the skills i have now im sure i can make a better buggy now.. but some times those buggys and kites come up cheap on ebay..

Time for a mass BKCC fly-in I reckon :)

Hairy Santa

gonna join you Phil, just got one from a mate, bought one last night on flea bay, and am holding the bid on a 3.5 one as well, so should have a bit of choice, let me know when your going out in the elements again

this could turn into a club sideline  :D       

'The Gaffer'

Excellent Pete. Make sure you go for 4 line ones though mate.

Yeah be good to get a few together for a fly. BKCCAPKC :)

YellaBelly

We want video!! :D :D

Might be better to buy a hang glider for flying chaps, a bit more predictable ;)

alastair

I had the same kite as colin. We would often test each others skills by one of us skimming across the ground while the other would lay on the ground directly under the path of the kite. We would see who could skim the others nose without smacking each other in the head.
Good times!
I've still got my kite but havent used it for a while. I'd be up for a bit on kiting soon though!

Bulldog Bri

I'm waiting for the Video of Pete jumping Brighton pier. Lol. :P With Bacon Butty in hand ;D

8)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: alastair on 01, November, 2013, 10:30:21 PM
I had the same kite as colin. We would often test each others skills by one of us skimming across the ground while the other would lay on the ground directly under the path of the kite. We would see who could skim the others nose without smacking each other in the head.
Good times!
I've still got my kite but havent used it for a while. I'd be up for a bit on kiting soon though!

You 2 sound like pro's, perhaps you could give me a lesson or two ;D