News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Chevy 5.3 V8!!

Started by fullpint, 08, October, 2013, 05:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fullpint

Not sure if I'm mad or just thinking, live life to the full  ;D
I've had v8's before and love em. My 70mpg BMW 320ED is up for sale at the mo. Why?? Well its a great car but totally useless when it comes to putting wheels or bike frames in the back so I'm thinking big car/van.
Just spotted a Chevy on flea bay and it has a MASSIVE boot. Down side is 5.3L so I'm guessing 20mpg at a push?
What do you V8 guy's get from yours?

Dixie

if you use a SBC in anger, expect single figures,  Tony Searle struggles to get much above 15 mpg in his 350 SBC, but it is a bit trick.  If he boots it, 9 mpg isn't unusual.

My RV8 Vitesse V8 regularly does 25 mpg, but averages at 20.

M

Moleman

Just seen this. Thought you might like this to compare a few options.  :D
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=569887956393901

Dixie

So my wife was correct!! size isn't everything.

WALNUT

I would have thought it would have been cheeper to buy a bike rack.
                                                                            Walnut

bluehornetrider

I know quite a few of the dodge ram hemi's run on gas and that bring the running costs down to 30p a litre but most v8 run easy at around 20mpg, just looking at a 928 myself at the moment so have been studying v8 as well, nothing beats the noise apart from a griffin v12 :P

Hairy Santa

Iv'e had between 5 and 25mpg, depends on several things, is engine tweeked, gearing, and right boot  ;)

all depends on the mileage your gonna do to do your pick-ups and deliveries, you may find it a bit heavy to run

look for something that has gas conversion, but it would have to be big due to the tank taking up so much room

I look forward in seeing what you decide on

H   

'Mendip Wurzel'

I get about 20 or a bit more mpg from my RV8... it certainly doesn't take long to empty my 30 lit fuel tank

fullpint

Liking the 20+ comments but not the 9-5  :o :o :o :o :o
I did have a 3.9 Vogue which gave me between 12-15 mpg..
So do I really need a 5.3 Chevy truck... Ok fuel bill will be 3x what Im paying now!! £50 a week just for the works run plus weekend use!! No worse than the Mk when giving it beans  ;D ;D ;D ;D

WALNUT

The cars getting 20+ are kit cars, made of F/G your talking of a Chevy Truck which will be a heavy old bus. I would have thought you would be lucky to get 10 mpg

'The Gaffer'

Any V8 diesels out there? Mate if mine had a jeep, sounded great, tons if torque too.

Hairy Santa

Moleman

That looks really nice.  :)
Even the right colour scheam! :P

fullpint

Not sure I like the colour  :D :D :D :D :D :D
Cool apart from the price..

Bulldog Bri

Don't know about V8 how about W16
http://www.way2speed.com/2013/05/jimenez-novia-w16.html#axzz2hUmDqfcw
Maybe one for Pete after the Daytona sells

8)

fullpint

Well I have just taken a deposit for the BMW320.. Only had it for 4 months..
Ended up doing a deal with guy on his Vauxhall Estate. A lot more practical than the Bemmer.
Ok its not a V8 but it is a V6 3.0l diesel so mpg wont be too bad but the boot is massive, just what I need.
Trouble is I've now got £6k spare!!! What to do with it?!?! Could up-grade the Mk  ;D

Moleman

Go on!!! Do it!!!!  ;D ;D
whats first on the list then?  :D

fullpint

Coming up to the right time to buy but not sell..
Best I treat the wife first to some thing and then follow that up with a treat for me  ;D ;D

bluehornetrider

you could get a nice v8 and drop it into you MK! ::)

fullpint

Quote from: bluehornetrider on 17, October, 2013, 08:47:46 PM
you could get a nice v8 and drop it into you MK! ::)
:o :o :o :o No way... BEC rule  :D :D :D :D :D

bluehornetrider

fullpint

8) Ive had dealing with them in the past.. May be they can offer me 40% discount  ;D ;D ;D.

Hairy Santa

Quote from: fullpint on 29, October, 2013, 05:13:06 PM
8) Ive had dealing with them in the past.. May be they can offer me 40% discount  ;D ;D ;D.

that should bring it down to about £25K with a box thrown in  ;)

fullpint

Well my bmw was picked up and paid for on Saturday.. That left me car-less  :( :( :( :(
Popped a post on facebook for a cheap car (just so I can get into work) and ended up with a Corsa 1.2 16v on a X plate with 143K on the clock. Taxed and mot'd till April and a mere £350..
God its gutless.
I now need to think about just what I really need. Was offered a RS6 (515BHP) 200mph  :o I tad OTT I think so I passed on that. Tempted with a Ford Ranger Wildtrak but can't find and auto!!
I think I'm after a big-ish car/van/truck with an auto box, just fancy a bit of lazy driving. What to get tho? And I'm NOT one for traveling miles to buy  ;D

bluehornetrider

audi a8 really cheap at the moment and super well built, anything big and 10 years old, is cheap.  If you can afford to run it you can afford to buy a new one.  Thing is they run around 60mpg road tax is around £200 and insurance isn't too bad either. 8)

Moleman

Why don't you take the corsa out on a trackday? You will pass the noise test & it will be the first time you have ever gone flatout in one of your cars on a trckday!  :P :P :P  ;D ;D :D :D

fullpint

NO it wont Colin!!! Exhaust is blowing  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D