News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

0 to 60 times calculator....

Started by Facial Hair Optional, 03, June, 2015, 12:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facial Hair Optional

I'm guessing some of you guys may have seen this b4 but it's still a cool bit of kit and seems to be fairly accurate, though at the very fast end of things (0 to 60 in around 3 secs etc) I do wonder.

If you play around with it at that level it does make you wonder 'why all the power?' When you get down that low there seems to be marginal difference.

For example a kit car weighing say 650kgs with 225bhp comes out at 3.351 secs to 60, add 100bhp (and that is a lot extra to find!!!) and up the power to 325bhp (same weight) and it's 2.544 secs.

They are both so fast I wonder if in day to day use it makes much difference? (moleman, any views, you have a very quick car?) On the track I can see it could be very handy though!

Still, it's all good fun isn't it!!

Oh yeah, here's the link (almost forgot!)   :P   http://www.060calculator.com/    have fun!!!

Hairy Santa

so whats 330BHP and 520 kgs ?

and 350 bhp and 1220 kgs

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 03, June, 2015, 01:25:05 PM

and 350 bhp and 1220 kgs

Assuming rear wheel drive and manual gearbox (cos they ask you that too) the 1st one is 2.155 seconds and the second one 3.858 seconds.

If you click on the link below you can play around with all the figures!!

http://www.060calculator.com/

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 03, June, 2015, 01:41:48 PM
Quote from: Hairy Santa on 03, June, 2015, 01:25:05 PM

and 350 bhp and 1220 kgs

Assuming rear wheel drive and manual gearbox (cos they ask you that too) the 1st one is 2.155 seconds and the second one 3.858 seconds.

If you click on the link below you can play around with all the figures!!

What have got there then Pete, an exocet missile???? :P

Hairy Santa

Hi Phil,

the first one is my Rush Busa Turbo and the seconds my Spectre

2.155 is a bit over optimistic but 3.858 is pretty dam close to the 4.0sec in the literature of the Spectre

I am Impressed   

paintman

I get the feeling it's not to accurate.

The old Hood came out at 3.2secs. :o

damouk

Not sure I could get the storm to 60 in 2.6, but its all good for pub banter. We don't really have drag cars do we...

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Hairy Santa on 03, June, 2015, 06:19:41 PM
Hi Phil,

the first one is my Rush Busa Turbo and the seconds my Spectre

2.155 is a bit over optimistic but 3.858 is pretty dam close to the 4.0sec in the literature of the Spectre

I am Impressed

This is exactly what I mean about when it gets down to the really crazy power to weight ratios, we all know that sub 3 seconds is nigh on impossible for most cars. I think the road car world record is not much less, 2.6 or something like that??

I seem to recall Tiff Needell managed to break the record a while back with 2.7secs in a twin hayabusa engined Tiger?? Then he broke the car as well!!!!

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 03, June, 2015, 08:37:37 PM
I seem to recall Tiff Needell managed to break the record a while back with 2.7secs in a twin hayabusa engined Tiger?? Then he broke the car as well!!!!

He did break it indeed, horrible sound it made when an engine it let go :(

Moleman

I did the weight with me in it & it comes up with 2.78sec. It always seems about 3 but to be honest I really couldn't say if that was right. It is a higher revving car engine & does 60 in second gear very easy. I need one hand holding a stop watch with the other holding the gear stick & the other hand holding the steering wheel & while doing that watching where I'm going & the stop watch & when I hit 60mph. :o ;D

Iancider

Well I did mine and it came out at a tad under 3.5.  I know I have done 4.0 practically and it is about 4.5 with a passenger.

When you do the kerb weight you should also add your own body weight and add a tank of fuel - so say about 100kg for the average person and possible half of that for our fastest driver! :D

I don't know if the calculator allows for a gear change but it seems to.  My gearbox is still a little stiff and not fully quick yet.  I also have a full weight flywheel but acceleration is assisted by using the torque in the flywheel in a 1st to 2nd change.  So I think just under 4.0 is possible but that is it.  If I add a 100kg passenger then it will increase to 4.5 so that seems about right. 

Next I tried increasing the horsepower to overcome the passenger weight and get back to the driver only acceleration - it came out at 40 Bhp extra.  To get to 3.0 second on my own I need another 100BHP on top of the 184 I already have. To match a motorcycle at 2.5 seconds I need to double the horsepower.

So I think it is pretty accurate.

Paintman - I think you may have done the 60-0 time but that makes a real mess of your nosecone!   ;D

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 03, June, 2015, 09:20:29 PM
I did the weight with me in it & it comes up with 2.78sec. It always seems about 3 but to be honest I really couldn't say if that was right. It is a higher revving car engine & does 60 in second gear very easy. I need one hand holding a stop watch with the other holding the gear stick & the other hand holding the steering wheel & while doing that watching where I'm going & the stop watch & when I hit 60mph. :o ;D

Or get one of those fancy new digi dash thingys that log 0 to 60 and 60 to 0 for you Colin? They also do lap times and if you spend enough are gps linked and show you where you are on whatever circuit you are currently tearing around!! I looked at a few recently and they scared the hell out of me with their complexity (and prices!)

Facial Hair Optional

My Tiger comes out at just under 5 secs but I dont think it's that quick. Unless you have had your car weighed or corner weighted I guess we dont really know the true weight and most people tend to underestimate the weight and overestimate the power I would say!

The tool is only a rough guide I think and is more accurate for some than others. Being primarily based on production cars stats, I'm not sure of it's accuracy for cars like ours tbh.

Then of course things like gearbox and diff ratios and even wheel size and tyre type can make a huge difference. Plus driver ability of course! Not to mention sequential shifters or paddle shift and so on.

Seven style cars don't exactly have the best aerodynamics either do they! I think changing my headlamps from 7 inch ones to dominators might knock off about 3 seconds??? (kidding)  :P

Facial Hair Optional

The Cossie with me in it (16.5 stones plus clothes, helmet etc on top) comes up at 2.91 secs. No chance with my current tyres and that's a fact! Spins up waaaaaaay to much  :(

Facial Hair Optional

The car Tiff drives in the video has a power to weight ratio of 627bhp/tonne, the one on ebay has 857bhp/tonne!!! Plus a lot more torque I bet! And launch control, flatshifter, paddle shifts etc etc

What I can't figure out is how it's 0 to 60 is (only) 3.2 seconds???  ???  What I do know is that it is a genuine timed figure which is why I think so many other claimed figures on fast kit cars are just guestimates.

I wouldn't mind betting eveyone's cars are just a little slower than they think they are!? I would love to be proven wrong of course but please let me time you as your passenger!!!!!  :D

sanzomat

That one in the advert must be faster than that. Its red and everyone knows red cars are the fastest!

Moleman

I'm sure it is a bit slower than it says on the calculations but with a so say 16 stone lard ass timings me in the passenger seat you are bound to prove us wrong Facial Hair Optional.  :P :P

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 04, June, 2015, 06:57:52 AM
I'm sure it is a bit slower than it says on the calculations but with a so say 16 stone lard ass timings me in the passenger seat you are bound to prove us wrong Facial Hair Optional.  :P :P

Damn, my evil plan to make everyone slower than me has been sussed!!

(PS I hate lard!!)  :D

Crunchie Gears

I have had a look at the calculator and put not only my present cars through but some of my older ones.  I think it is a good estimate but extreme figures it does not work will with IMO.

Our Current westfield with me in it comes out a 2.7 and the Ultima had the time measured by Guiness (they probably had a few) and the figures are here http://www.ultimasports.co.uk/Content.aspx?f=record2.

The Ultima comes out at 2.1 on the calculator and I think it is geared for 250 mph (ours has a 6 speed but it probably will not get there) so it will be much higher geared.

The cars feel the same until the aero and grunt really start to tell.  All good for a pub discussion.