News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Chris Evans named for Top Gear

Started by Lucky Ed, 16, June, 2015, 09:35:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky Ed

Chris Evans has been given the job on Top Gear. I think he'll do a good job as long he can do as he likes ;D

longtimecoming

Clarkson tried to do as he liked and look what happened. It will never be the same

Hairy Santa

there isn't any more Top Gear

Clarkson was top gear !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

paintman

Evans is a ginger to**er and he really annoys me! :(

How can he qualify for the job!!!!

I for one won't be watching it! ::) ::)

sanzomat

I'll give it a go with an open mind but my first reaction is aligned with paintman's. I've never been a fan of Evans.

However, I wasn't a fan of Clarkson either but enjoyed the show despite that, up until they ran out of ideas a couple of years ago and just got sillier and sillier...

Facial Hair Optional

Sorry but Evans is just not right for the job.

It will never be the same no matter who does it, the show was about JC as much as it was about cars, or should I say the interaction between him and the other two muppets (I mean that in a nice friendly way!) They jelled so well those 3.

It'll be like a major rock band with a new lead singer, ok, but just not the same  :(

jmad

I think the point is that Chris Evans needs to make Chris Evans Top Gear, and looking at his track record I think that could be a winner.

What will fail is if Chris Evans makes JC Top Gear with Chris Evans.

I hope that makes sense because I think I have just confused myself :o

Gary RH7

I admire Evans for his collection of cars but I agree with paintman.

Bulldog Bri

It's got to be worth a try. My question is who else will he be working with? Hamster and May? or a new team? ::)

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: jmad on 17, June, 2015, 11:48:58 AM
I think the point is that Chris Evans needs to make Chris Evans Top Gear, and looking at his track record I think that could be a winner.

What will fail is if Chris Evans makes JC Top Gear with Chris Evans.

I hope that makes sense because I think I have just confused myself :o

Yeah I hear ya, good point.

Is this Chris Evans thing 100% defintite? I heard only yesterday that some other guy from daytime TV was in the running. I can't recall his name (I don't watch daytime tv!) but I think he was a house decorator/builder or something like that. I can picture his face but the name escapes me atm.

Gottit..... Nick Knowles. Though what he has to do with cars is anyone's guess? Is he into them big time?

Bulldog Bri

I'd rather Mark Evens than Nick Knowles.

8)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 17, June, 2015, 02:32:54 PM
I'd rather Mark Evens than Nick Knowles.

8)
The ex-vet who built a Cobra and a seven stlye car he hillclimbed with? Nice guy.

He also built an airplane I seem to recall. Very handy bloke! And a trike?????

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Bulldog Bri on 17, June, 2015, 12:58:16 PM
It's got to be worth a try. My question is who else will he be working with? Hamster and May? or a new team? ::)

8)
Apparently May and Hammond are out of the running. There is talk of Jodie Kidd (God no please, her and Quentin Wilson were just bloody awful!) or Suzi Perry joining Chris Evans. Personally I'd choose Vicki Butler-Henderson if it were up to me.

Another £5 million in the bank for Mr Evans!!!!

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 17, June, 2015, 04:22:24 PM
The ex-vet who built a Cobra and a seven stlye car he hillclimbed with? Nice guy.

He also built an airplane I seem to recall. Very handy bloke! And a trike?????

Speaking of which.... Someone still has my copy of the Westfield build DVD ???

8)

YellaBelly

I'll not be watching TG anymore then, can't stand the muppet I'm afraid. Too far up his own chuff for my liking!

Just my view :)

'The Gaffer'

The program will certainly be very different. I hear they are doing public auditions for co-stars.

Moleman

I personally got a bit tired of the same old joke's & gags so it might be refreshing.  :)

Iancider

Listen to the Gaffer...

As he said they are going to audition for the co-stars - that is a fact.  Hammond and May are out of the running.  So they are prepared to interview any suitable petrolheads.  So which petrol heads that we know would we like to see on there...

We need people with character and perhaps unusual names and a different outlook on life.  They cannot be politically correct and they need to be controversial.  They need to be different from each other and different from Chris Evans and perhaps not like the rest of the human race at all....

I vote for HAIRY SANTA and WALNUT - now you have to admit that IS controversial, it ain't politically correct! :P :P :P :P :P

Facial Hair Optional

Personally I think Moleman is far funnier that Clarkson.  :o

And he could do the best in depth article on cones.............. in the world.  :P :P :P

Bulldog Bri

fletch_306

I would vote for Colin!

I think like any show that has a new line up you have to give it a watch and make the decision from their. Just saying I won't watch it coz I don't like the presenter is a bit daft in my opinion. I was never a clarkson fan but enjoyed Top Gear.  But hey what do I know,???  :P  :D

Moleman

That would be a good job to have & I don't think there are any cones on their track.  :D

So who will be captain slow?  :)

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 18, June, 2015, 08:46:35 PM
That would be a good job to have & I don't think there are any cones on their track.  :D

Looks like it might be me mate! I've just gone to have the Tiger tuned a bit as it was running a little rough after a recent trip up to Gloucester and back and discovered a bloody great big oil patch on the garage floor!!!!

She NEVER leaks. Had a quick look, I think the sump may be cracked. If I can't get it sorted Friday then I can't see me doing my laps around Combe this weekend. Typical. Never rains but it pours, had just paid for two sessions the day before as well!!

ARRRRRHHHHHHHHHHH BUM!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

She was fine at the ACD meet Sunday and defo never hit anthing that day so I'm like my sump, baffled!!  :D Could be an old weld has let go? (it's a shortened sump so a few welds on it)

This could all even be connected to the pressure/breathing issue I had recently when I had oil mist coming back up out of the dipstick tube. If the pressure in the crank case got very high while I was giving it some welly it could have damaged an oil seal maybe?

Apparently pintos need to well vented and if not they suffer issues lke this. I will be investigating 2moro I hope. Just had an oil and filter change too! Fingers crossed for Saturday.  :(

Moleman

Oh bugger. Hope up get it sorted if not I'm sure someone can buy it off you if Combe will let you.

I'm taking my helmet in case any one new to the circuit would like me as a passenger to show them the ropes of this circuit.  :)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 18, June, 2015, 10:04:43 PM
Quote from: Moleman on 18, June, 2015, 08:46:35 PM

Looks like it might be me mate! I've just gone to have the Tiger tuned a bit as it was running a little rough after a recent trip up to Gloucester and back and discovered a bloody great big oil patch on the garage floor!!!!

She NEVER leaks. Had a quick look, I think the sump may be cracked. If I can't get it sorted Friday then I can't see me doing my laps around Combe this weekend. Typical. Never rains but it pours, had just paid for two sessions the day before as well!!

ARRRRRHHHHHHHHHHH BUM!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

She was fine at the ACD meet Sunday and defo never hit anthing that day so I'm like my sump, baffled!!  :D Could be an old weld has let go? (it's a shortened sump so a few welds on it)

This could all even be connected to the pressure/breathing issue I had recently when I had oil mist coming back up out of the dipstick tube. If the pressure in the crank case got very high while I was giving it some welly it could have damaged an oil seal maybe?

Apparently pintos need to well vented and if not they suffer issues lke this. I will be investigating 2moro I hope. Just had an oil and filter change too! Fingers crossed for Saturday.  :(

That is unlucky, hope you get it sorted.

Facial Hair Optional

My mate managed to weld the sump in situ! It's only temporary tho, as soon as 2moro is over the sump will be off and everything will be done properly.

It still weeps a tiny, TINY amount but not bad enough to affect anything or stop it being used (I've seen worse on everyday cars with poor sump gaskets or leaking sump plugs tbh!!) So all being well I will be there 2moro still, tho I think I will not be giving it the full beans around the track just to be on the safe side.

This will most likely be my last trip out in my beloved Tiger and she will be up for sale as soon as I have done those jobs on her. What a great car she has been, only let me down this once (if you can call it that) and once the throttle cable snapped. Sad to let her go  :( but it's time to move on (onwards and upwards!!)   :D

'The Gaffer'

robp

Facial Hair Optional

Well I have to say that I saw the jounalist Chris Harris on a recent episode of Fifth Gear with Tiff Needell and he was very good, in fact at the time I thought to myself 'he would make a good car show presenter'! As for Sabine, well we all know she can really drive a car very fast indeed!

Vindicator

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 24, December, 2015, 05:23:46 PM
As for Sabine, well we all know she can really drive a car very fast indeed!

And diesel transit vans  :o

Facial Hair Optional

Indeed. Sub 10 minutes in a Transit van around the 'ring!! Incredible.

Crunchie Gears

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 24, December, 2015, 05:23:46 PM
Well I have to say that I saw the jounalist Chris Harris on a recent episode of Fifth Gear with Tiff Needell and he was very good, in fact at the time I thought to myself 'he would make a good car show presenter'! As for Sabine, well we all know she can really drive a car very fast indeed!

I was talking to a friend who is the MD of a UK sportscar manufacturer.  I said Chris Harris would be my choice and he said he is a knob.  He would know.  That said Clarkson was always that ;)

paintman

Yea, but Chris Evans seriously!!!      He talks twaddle as a job on the radio so i'm not very hopeful that anything is
is likely to change! ::)

Iancider

A different point of view:

First give him a chance - he is a full blown pucker petrolhead and very knowledgeable.

His style doesn't have to be the same for this show and knowing how he speaks off-set about cars - if that passion and knowledge comes through it will be great.

Another point about him is that as a person he is very approachable and conversational.  If he became a bit Jay Leno then I will be a fan.

Anyway we need a change.  Wasn't Top Gear becoming a bit samey?  More of the same would be just poor imitation.

I will watch with interest and see how it shapes up - I am optimistic and I wont judge it in advance.

P.s. Do you remember just how bad the early episodes were?....

Facial Hair Optional

Indeed Ian and we must not forget, first and foremost (from their point of view at least) it is just entertainment and another revenue stream. If you see some of the crap that gets through onto tv and people actually watch it then this must be better surely?

The reason people watch such crap is it's entertaining and takes them out of their humdrum lives, they actually don't seem to care if it is good or not as long as it keeps them focused on the screen (same goes for the advertisers!). Someone famous (who?) said 'opiate of the masses' remember! Actually it was Edward R. Murrow but he said it may be the "opiate of the people."

I'm sure the new TG will dull a bit of pain for a lot of people. Or you can always watch the old lot on Amazon?

I think Evans will surprise people and be better than they expect. I find him annoying but he'll do a good job for the TV company at least, I'm sure. There seem to be a lot of annoying people on tv these days, it almost seems you have to be so to get on tv! I mean, who watches Keith Lemon and his through the keyhole show?? And yet they are successful people - go figure (to use an annoying Americanism!)

'The Gaffer'

So I wonder what ever happened to Top Gear auditioning members of the public to co-star??

Sabine could be really good as long as she is teamed up with the right people, she has quite a dry sense of humour I think.

peterw