News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Go Pro settings.

Started by Moleman, 06, September, 2015, 08:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

Just wondering if anyone can help, I have been using a gopro1 for some time and it's always recorded fine, its just started recording in 30 minute chunks. I now also have a gopro2 and each recording is being saved as 8 minute 51 sec chunks, its recording continuously but when I view the files they are all 8m51sec or 30mins. Anyone any idea on why it's doing this and what I can do to stop it?
Thanks Colin.

Facial Hair Optional

My GoPro 1 has always done that Col. When you download the files onto your pc they are saved in chunks if the video is too long and the follow-on chunk has a simliar but slightly different name than the 1st chunk, ie one of my long vids is in two chunks, the 1st being called GOPR0077 and the follow on GO01007. It's daft really as it's hard to tell an O (oh) from a 0 (zero)!!   ???

Not sure why it does it or how a GoPro 2 differs but that is what ny GoPro Hero 1 has always done. The first file is 34 mins 36 secs long and the 2nd file is 20 mins 53 secs but that is when I stopped it. The length of the video is more likely to do with the file size than any random time allowance so it would depend on what quality video setting you had it on I would think? I set mine to full HD. There could be other factors and I have to say I am no expert on GoPros, it's just what I have observed about mine.

Facial Hair Optional

Is your memory card getting full? I found that a phone I had did this sort of thing with videos when it's memory started to get full. It would record shorter and shorter clips as it filled up!!

Iancider

Here is the Techie answer:

The file system used on the memory card is quite old-fashioned now but is used because just about any PC will run it.  It is called FAT32.  FAT 32 is limited to a maximum file size of 4GB.  In its day 4GB was huge and nobody saw it as a problem so GoPro get around the problem by splitting the files as FHO has commented.  4GB in HD is about 8 mins 52 seconds but the file size will vary according to the resolution.  You will get much longer in 720p.

64 bit encoding is becoming more common now but only on a fraction of machines so GoPro sticks to the old universal formal.  You can glue the clips back together on video software.  If you cando it I could join it up for you - just give me the clips on a USB stick.

Good luck
Ian

Facial Hair Optional

Stephen Fry eat your heart out, BKCC has a better option called Iancider. Who the hell needs Google!!! Nice one Ian  :)

Moleman