+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Not a bad idea for a car ramp.

Started by Moleman, 13, October, 2015, 07:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moleman

If you need to work on your car & your garage roof is quite high I'm sure we could make one of these.  :)

https://www.facebook.com/HellaflushRC/videos/628570777259265/?fref=nf

garry h

Iancider

I have been kind of inventing something like that recently.

Now somebody has.  It might be improved by pivoting on a radius rather than a corner!

sanzomat

There is quite a limit to the jobs you can do to the car with something like this unless it had a jacking bar. Otherwise only jobs with the car on its wheels. Ground clearance might be an issue too as its quite a steep ramp. I think I'll stick to axle stands and back shuffling!

Facial Hair Optional

Colin can do the same thing with his nice little trailer!

Iancider

FHO - Cheap version

Grab two planks.

Lay on you back and support the planks on you hands and knees.  Angle the planks down to touch the floor.  Run the car up the planks, raise you knees and you then carefully lower you arms until your elbows touch the floor.  SIMPLES!  ;)

sanzomat

Presumably with the Asbo you just need to get a couple of mates to lift the car up for you.

They'd have to be wearing kid gloves though so they don't scratch it.

You'd need to have a couple of mates for that to work too though! :P :P

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: sanzomat on 13, October, 2015, 09:20:05 PM
Presumably with the Asbo you just need to get a couple of mates to lift the car up for you.

They'd have to be wearing kid gloves though so they don't scratch it.

You'd need to have a couple of mates for that to work too though! :P :P

Not funny  ;D ;D ;D ;D :P :P :P :P (ROFLMAO as the kids say!)

Have you been taking lessons from Moleman??  :o

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Iancider on 13, October, 2015, 09:12:34 PM

Grab two planks.

Do you have any two particular club members in mind Ian?  ;D

Moleman

FHO is right Sanzomat, I use axle stands & a jacking bar for my working platform trailer to do just that.

Ian there is so many to choose from.  :P

Bulldog Bri

Some garages use similar things to show the cars off on their forecourts. ;D

Do look quite useful though. If making your own then, measure the height of your garage ceiling, then the height of your car. Subtract car(H) from ceiling(H) and that will give you the max height you can make it ;) And if you 've got the ceiling height and not the garage width then make one high enough and wide enough to put a second car under it :P

8)

Gary RH7

Before I built my kit many years ago I was getting the garage built and I told the guy who was laying the concrete to leave a small pit about 2 foot deep, 8 feet long and wide enough for a car to drive over.
I could slide under the car into the pit on my back. later, pull the car over me when it was a rolling chassis and do all the work I needed to do underneath.

Only downside, if someone put the handbrake on when I was under :'( :'( :'(

CC Cyclone

I bought a set of these a few years ago from restoration ramps. They are incredibly heavy duty, you drive on and then use a trolley jack to level. I looked at the forecourt ramps but was worried by the potential for them to rack or topple. The ones i bought are made of steel, weigh a ton and have some hefty metalwork linking the two ramps. They also have a sliding jacking beam with twin jacks. Really useful at times, a pain to store at other times!