+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

First parts back from powder coat.....

Started by damouk, 15, January, 2016, 02:54:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damouk

Well after a week of waiting I have the first bits back from powder coat, well what can I say....

I'm fuming is an understatement, I thought the original finish was bad, but this is terrible. they guy went through most of the parts in their workshop and they looked ok until I got them home to look at properly!!  :'( :'( :'(

So it looks like I should have taken advice from some of the club members, good job it wasn't the expensive powder and chassis that's all I can say!!

Vindicator

:o I wouldn't be happy either and you probably won't have the resilience you'd want from the coating even if they are hidden away. What do you think the problem was? Coating too thin? Lack of heat?

damouk

They guy that did it said he put a lot of powder on! Tbh the tank is the worse or all of it, but I was told it would all be acid etch primed before powder coat which it hasn't, and nothing has been masked.

The reason I'm doing it is because the original powder coat was so poor.

benchmark51

looks like he put it with the ass end of a vacuum cleaner and used a blow lamp.

fullpint

Gutted for you.. Who done it? I take a lot of pride in my work. Customers can drive 200+ miles down to me. Even got customers around the world.. Only down side is that I have a limit on the size that I can powder coat..

Facial Hair Optional

I don't profess to know much about powdercoating Damo but the ASBO was done at a trike place in Bristol. I can always get the details for you mate.

damouk

I don't want to name names until I've spoken to them.  but it's a coatings company in Gloucester. I chose this company from good recomendations and convenience as they are not to far from me.

At this point I guess I need to look forward to getting it sorted as soon as possible, so fho if you could that would be great.

What's the size limit you can do fullprint?

Moleman

I would definitely get them to do it again free of charge.  :(

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Moleman on 15, January, 2016, 08:16:48 PM
I would definitely get them to do it again free of charge.  :(

Would you even want them to do it again though? If they were any good I would have thought they'd have got it right before giving it back to you!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 15, January, 2016, 08:05:10 PM

At this point I guess I need to look forward to getting it sorted as soon as possible, so fho if you could that would be great.

This is where the designer and builder of the ASBO (Robin Davies) got it powdercoated Damo. Being as the guy is a very accomplished trike designer and builder I guess he chose them for good reason!

I think the guy you need to talk to is called Nick. Mention Robin's name and the ASBO it may help?

It's called Griff's Reality Motorworks. The founder Griff died of cancer in 2006 and Nick his main guy carried the business on. They seem to have a very good reputation amongst bikers and we know how fussy they are!

http://www.realitymotorworks.co.uk/

damouk

I'm very disappointed in what I have back, after me showing him how bad it was before and him saying it was down to lack of prep.

As nothing was masked all of the bearing cups and circlip grooves have also been powder coated! and the half a kg of blast media ratteling about in the tank.

damouk

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 15, January, 2016, 08:32:35 PM

This is where the designer and builder of the ASBO (Robin Davies) got it powdercoated Damo. Being as the guy is a very accomplished trike designer and builder I guess he chose them for good reason!

I think the guy you need to talk to is called Nick. Mention Robin's name and the ASBO it may help?

It's called Griff's Reality Motorworks. The founder Griff died of cancer in 2006 and Nick his main guy carried the business on. They seem to have a very good reputation amongst bikers and we know how fussy they are!

Nice one Steve I will drop them an email

fullpint

I cant fit a chassis in my oven :(
Yes the guys name is Nick.. He's a topclass guy, Ive know him for years and trust him with my bigger stuff.
My oven is about 6 feet wide, 2 feet deep and a drop of about 5 feet :)
I can fit a motorcycle in it and sub-frames at a push..

damouk

That could actually be quite close as the v-storm chassis is in two halves. I will have to measure up!

At least my mistake of doing the wishbones black rather than the 'special' colour can be sorted  ::)

sanzomat

Thats a real bummer. As you say, good job it wasn't the special colour. I hate bad workmanship, even when its my own...

benchmark51

Sounds like your getting close to a result. The place FHO mentioned is quite close to me.

damouk

It's a real shame, what's worse is that when we spoke about it he was saying all the right things, so I thought we were on the same page, I realise there is always the opportunity for some flaws in the finish, seems like I have a quick 1/2 hour for cash job.

It does Dave, just have to try and get hold of them!

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 15, January, 2016, 08:42:56 PM
I'm very disappointed in what I have back, after me showing him how bad it was before and him saying it was down to lack of prep.

As nothing was masked all of the bearing cups and circlip grooves have also been powder coated! and the half a kg of blast media ratteling about in the tank.

That is a bloody disgrace mate! Cowboys maybe?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: fullpint on 15, January, 2016, 08:47:37 PM
I cant fit a chassis in my oven :(
Yes the guys name is Nick.. He's a topclass guy, Ive know him for years and trust him with my bigger stuff.

Well that is as good a recommendation as you are ever likely to get Damo I'd say?

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: damouk on 15, January, 2016, 08:56:19 PM
That could actually be quite close as the v-storm chassis is in two halves. I will have to measure up!

At least my mistake of doing the wishbones black rather than the 'special' colour can be sorted  ::)

Fingers crossed for your two parts to fit in Steve's oven Damo. As for the wishbones - every cloud etc etc!!

MrFozzieBear

Quote from: Facial Hair Optional on 15, January, 2016, 08:32:35 PM

I went to Nick from Reality and did an awesome job for me. I had him powder coat all the steel work for my build including my whole Haynes Chassis in Satin black and Roll Cage in metallic.

He isn't the cheapest but you get what you pay for and the powder coat is hard wearing.

I knew of him from a previous place of work. We used him for all our chassis powder coating.

Give him a call easy to chat to and he will likely show you some examples if you ask.