+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Last orders please!

Started by Iancider, 13, February, 2016, 08:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iancider

There I was today in the leafy luxurious lands to the west of Watford where the wealthier types live.

I found a lovely pub for lunch, 15th century, oak timbered, opposite the common, blazing open fire, excellent food and excellent beer.

So I said to the Landlady...

"This is a really interesting pub and it feels like it has a lot of history"

And she said...

"Yes it has lots of that.  This is where they used to bring the prisoners from the jail and give them their last pint before they hanged them - out there on the common!"

I then realised what "Last Orders" meant for the first time.  :o

Gary RH7

Was that in Croxley Green by any chance Ian or Chandler's Cross?

There are some good pubs round there, all the way to Chesham and beyond.

benchmark51

Definitley wasn't in Warmley! I've just been to 4 pubs, looked in the window and they were virtually empty. the staff outnumbered the customers. So I went home, had tea and cake will watch the Arnie and Sly film instead. :D

'The Gaffer'

On my last visit to a pub, a round of two drinks cost about £13 :o I was ready to string myself up there and then!!

Facial Hair Optional

On a serious note, it's a crying shame what has happened to the British pub trade in the last 15 years or so. I'm sure many of you are of an age to remember when it was the cornerstone of most men's social lives (some women too). I do miss it but sadly it will never be the same again I fear. Some of my most happy and memorable times were on pub crawls around Chipping Sodbury, Old Sodbury and Yate back in the day. Ah happy days indeed!

Iancider

QuoteWas that in Croxley Green by any chance Ian or Chandler's Cross?

It was Ley Hill and the pub was the Swan - to be recommended.  Visit, enjoy, leave - don't hang around!  ;)

Bristol pubs aren't what they used to be either.  They were often the source of riots! Bedminster in particular.  Many times was the Riot Act read in Bristol and the Dragoon guards called from Keynsham.  Read about the great Reform Riot in QUEEN'S SQUARE in 1831! Goodness even at the time I write they are probably rioting there now!  Just weeks ago I remember the Traffic wardens swarming into the Square - not wielding Cutlasses but vicious with a Biro!!!

Fascinating Read...
Quotehttp://www.brigstowe.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/riots.htm

Gary RH7

The Swan Ley Hill... one of my old locals. I used to live in Chesham just down the road.

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 14, February, 2016, 11:35:14 AM
The Swan Ley Hill... one of my old locals. I used to live in Chesham just down the road.
I was born in Chesham :P

8)

Iancider

Small World,

Glad you both survived the Gallows!