+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

AeroQuip Hose Fitting

Started by Sumov8, 23, January, 2015, 09:31:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sumov8

Not sure if I am missing something here, but I have just fitted 6 AeroQuip hoses to my Cobra but now I cannot get any brake pressure, where the hoses connect to the caliper I have installed a copper washer as supplied, where the hoses cross the trailing arms they just connect direct to the solid lines.

As I changed them nearly all at once I am not sure where the fault is, there is no evidence of fluid leaks, and the brake pressure was fine before hand, so I dont suspect the master cylinder.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to start?

longtimecoming

Make sure the fluid is being pumped from the master cylinder and then progress to the next connection to check for fluid and so on. My guess is an air lock in the master cylinder. good luck it can be a pain. :'(

Hairy Santa

Hiya mate,

sounds like you have created 4 air locks
bleed through again, start with the nipple furthest away and work round, make sure someone keeps the master cylinder topped up at all times, you will probably have to pump the pedal quite a bit to start with to get the fluid moving through the system and the majority of the air out , once this happens bleed through as you would normally do.
don't forget the old trick of broomstick holding pedal down overnight once you have some pressure, sometimes works sometime doesn't
hope this cures it for you   

YellaBelly

Definitely sounds like air to me too. As Pete said, start with the furthest away and work around to the nearest. I had lots of issues with the Locost trying to get the air out, turns out I was not quite putting enough fluid in the reservoir to compensate for the slight incline of it and it was sucking in a tiny bit of air. filled her to the top and it bled easily ;)

Lucky Ed

I had a problem bleeding my rear Sierra calipers, as they were mounted in a different aspect to standard. In the end had to take them off and invert them to get the bleed nipples at the top to get the last little bit of air out. Took ages to suss though as it looked like all the air was out but just couldn't get any pedal - just a thought HTH.

Sumov8

Gents  Many thanks for the responses, final got some pressure today by getting a short pipe made where I could clamp the end of the pipe and solder it over making a dead end.
I then removed the rear brake pipe from the master cylinder, bled the front brakes and they went hard.

I then reinserted the rear break pipe back in the master cylinder and inserted the blanked pipe into  the three way junction at the rear axle, I in effect isolated the off side caliper and bled the near side unit until it went hard, removing the blank and re-inserting the off side pipe I then bled the off side caliper and result, I now had pressure.

I can only assume it was massive air locks all over the place, so I then went back to bleeding from the furthest point working back to the Off side front

Job Done :D

Now to look at the mounting for the steering rack, not sure why I kept these jobs for the winter as the tarmac is pretty cold and damp this time of year, I now have a running nose, a cough and feel like SH1* but at least I have brakes that work!!

'The Gaffer'

Sorted. Next on the list is a heated garage ;)