News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

PG1 mounting bracket for GTM

Started by sanzomat, 01, August, 2015, 10:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanzomat

Some of you may remember I've been trying to source a special bracket that GTM used to make to enable the Rover PG1 gearbox to fit to the Metro mounting that was originally intended to support the R65 box. These bracket are now like rocking horse poo so I needed to make one or get one made. The next problem was getting a pattern.

I took photos of other people brackets whilst at Stoneleigh:

One of the Libra owners kindly took his off and measured it and sent me a template to use:

I used this info to make a 3D cad drawing:

I found the template the most useful. I printed it full size and cut out the pieces and srayed over them onto a piece of 6mm steel to get the shape transferred:

Today I cut them out roughly using a cutting blade in the angle grinder and ground them to shape. To make the bends I had to cut half way through on the bend lines as I just couldn't bend them with just a vice and levers otherwise. I welded up the cut line after bending then welded all the bits together and drilled the holes. This is what I got:

I'm pretty pleased as I've not done any metal fabrication since I left school. Just need a coat of paint and one more excuse for not doing my engine swap has gone.

Jagodo

Nice work. And it fits too! Very impressed.

Moleman

Facial Hair Optional

Holey moley (to quote J. Clarkson) is there no end to the people in this club that can do amazing things I can't do??

PS. I do have my talents but that's another story!!  :o :o ;D ;D