+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Another newbie question

Started by StuartCole, 21, May, 2009, 05:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StuartCole

I'm sure these come up a lot, but just getting into the art of kit car building i'd rather get it right first time by asking those in the know!

I was at the Stoneleigh show which was great and i looked at pretty much everything a dozen times! I also had a good chance to speak to the manufacturers and i've settled on a seven style car (or possible SDR's Atom style car). But there are so many manufacturers out there i got quite lost and i'm struggling to decide between them. The three i narrowed it down to were MK Sports Cars, MNR and Great british sports cars ... could anybody give me their opinions, past experiences etc with any of these guys?!

Thanks a lot and hopefully i'll be on the road in no time! cheers!

Bulldog Bri

Hi Stuart.

First off, welcome to the club.

I'm not surprised that you've chosen to go down the 7 line, as they are by far the most popular style of kit on the market, If you've not got it, the June issue of 'Kitcar' has an A-Z of Seven guide as they call it, in there and gives you a brife run down of 13 of the cars on the Market. Not the atom style one though.

Hope this helps a bit with your difficult decision.

8)

'The Gaffer'

Hi there Stuart and welcome to the club :) Where are you from?

Please say hi in the introduce yourself section if you have 5 mins.

Personally I quite like the Atom style, just because its a bit different.

There are a few new build members here so hopefully they may pop in and offer some advice.

Good luck with whatever you choose and keep us up to date with your build.

Phil.

Richard

Hi Stuart,

Been doing the same thing. Quite a hard decision making process and some subtle pros & cons.

We all have certain preferences and none are wrong or right in my view. Being a newbie to this building process I tried to pick ones I thought were more simple to build and in my various email and phone enquiries got treated well. In some ways this didn't help as mostly all were very friendly.

I can't really say much between the 2 Seven styles you've chosen, in the end I'm not sure it makes a huge difference. I did find in searches a few comments about the amount of "fiddling" required which put me off some models.

I came to the conclusion when I had a short list that plain old "plumping" was as good as any reason. Like the Atom style, was a bit surprised about how physically big they were.

Think you should go for it and then a few of us in the coming weeks can post our progress pics / comments or at least share pain and frustration. Anyway welcome !

vinny1275

The quality of MNrs stuff is great, especially as they're not too much more expensive than any other 7 (and in some cases cheaper). There's quite a few of them about now, so there's also an owners forum online for specific help with VortX stuff, as well as the more general help you get from locostbuilders.

Which engine are you thinking of? We went for a Sierra engine and inboard suspension, it's all a pretty tight fit! Take a look at my blog for more details - www.vincenaylor.co.uk - there's also a photo album with all my build photos on it linked from there (about 500 or something daft!)

If you want to come and take a look, feel free to drop me a line (based in Swindon)

Cheers

Vince