Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Evening all!

Started by BDMStriker, 04, March, 2013, 11:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDMStriker

Just a hello,

Im Ben 29 from Doncaster.

As of last friday own a 1997 Sylva/Raw Striker mk2 powered by a vauxhall c20xe mated to a type9 box  which is currently in the process of being stripped for a full rebuild

The original owner obviously used it to its full potential! plenty of track work!

Hopefully i'll be able  get plenty of info for the resto from here!

fullpint

Welcome along Ben, looking forward to seeing how the rebuild goes.. Don't take too long now cause spring is just around the corner

Bulldog Bri

Welcome to the club Ben. Looks a tidy bit of kit there. When you say full re-build are you going back to bare chassis or just rebuilding the engine and refurbishing the suspension and bits?

Good luck with it anyway

8)

YellaBelly

Hi Ben, and welcome to the club. Keep us updated on the build progress ;)

JB

robp

Love the exhaust manifold   :D 8)
Good luck with the rebuild.

BDMStriker

cheers for the welcome guys!

Yes its a full strip to chassis and riveted panels, 

I considered removing the Alloy panels but i think i'll end up making a rod for my own back when it comes to re fitment , approx 80-100 rivets to be re aligned could be trouble,

Im replacing all of the bodywork, rear tub bonnet & cone,  and practically a nut and bolt rebuild,

the c20xe fitted has excessive piston slap & the heads overskimmed, so sourced another 2 Engines which im hoping to build a decent one from the two,

practically 7 days work came with a nice set of Seven alloys too,

i'll have to get a progress thread set up,

my overall inspiration for it was after watching Senna on DVD, and forgetting how utterly beautiful the JPS lotus renault was,

so the overall theme will be along these lines, without the Olympus & NGk, Black with gold pinstripe & gold wishbones/rear Roll bar etc,

'The Gaffer'

Hi Ben and a warm welcome to our club.

Great car the Striker, you should have some great fun on track with it.

Keep us up to date on the rebuild 8)

YellaBelly

Always loved the JPS scheme for years :D

If you can pull that off on your Striker it will look the Nads! ;)

Camber Dave

Hi Ben and welcome

I also love the Striker. it is one of the lightest of the 7 type and with this Vauxhall lump one of the quickest.

I have reservations about the colour scheme though.
Many years ago I had a (baby) Lotus Elan in black. This made it look even smaller than it was and would only look clean for about 20 min after it was polished and before the dust settled on it ...

More worryingly though other cars would not see it and would pull out it front of me - often acknowledging their error.
If I were doing it Black, add plenty of Yellow highlights - Roll bar, wheels, suspension and grill etc. It could save an accident and another rebuild.

Otherwise let us know if you are coming to Stoneleigh Many of us will also be there.

Dave

Lucky Ed

Hi and welcome, your Striker should be really quick when it's done - good luck with the rebuild.

Camber Dave makes a good point about being visible on the roads, I've only been driving my MAC#1 on the road for the last year and am always amazed how many drivers fail to see me and my cars bright orange. I'm still biking as well and more people pull out in front of the kit car than when I'm on my GSXR :o

bluehornetrider

High gloss black looks sweet but only untill you leave the showroom, then it becomes the swirly scratched stone chipped monster you wish you never laid eyes on.  The red and white smoke sponsor will look showroom fresh for much longer, you could always try vinyl wrapping your car and it will cost a lot less than a respray, it will also protect from stone chips and can be replaced if you fancy a colour change and the car will be perfect beneath.

BDMStriker

cheers for the advice guys, the colour scheme for the JPS is first ideas i guess, i can near on guarantee it'll look differernt once finished,

well it may take a little longer to get her running than i first thought, the chassis etc is to be stripped back fully this weekend and prepped for paint

just found out today its running an older MBE 906 ignition module which appears to be wired into a birds nest of a wiring loom, something im not  overly keen on. so will hopefully look at a more up to date system which i can match the ignition timing to the second engine, So whilst im there i may as well re wire the lot and cut some of the confusion of being tapped into an old fusebox,

well thanks again for the welcome, i can see me spending many hours here!