+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

I've finally bought a car!

Started by Pitlips, 23, December, 2013, 07:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pitlips

Well, I've been a member on here for quite some time but haven't posted for a long time. Some may remember me? I came to the set up day at track developments.
Anyway I've finally bought a car, it's not strictly a kit car but hopefully you'll allow me in. I'll put some pics up, see what you think.

Moleman

We have all sorts of cars on here.  :D   So welcome Pitlips.  :D
Hope to see you at one of our club meets, Trackday or club outings next year.  :)

Lucky Ed

All enthusiasts welcome here ;D

A great little car, we see loads of them at trackdays, they go really well and there's loads of bolt on go-faster bits to be had.

Be great to see you out and about next year ;D

fullpint

Welcome back on the scene Pitlips.. Is the MX set-up for track use. My mates got one and they do go well on track.
YOu have a hood/wipers/heater so I expect you will be able to attend a few meets  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

'The Gaffer'

Any cars are welcome here. Nice MX you have there. Maybe we might see you at our Abingdon track day planned for next year if not before.

Does the car have any modifications? Is that a role cage I can see on there?

Pitlips

Thanks for the warm welcome once again. Yeah it's modified, it was originally built as a track car but it's nor road legal so I'll definitely be looking to come to some meets and track days. It's a mk1 mx5 but it has a yb cosworth turbo engine, gearbox etc so it's a bit of an animal!
I've been doing quite a bit of work to get it up to scratch over the past month but it still needs a lot of work.
Does anyone know a local or good company that makes custom drive shafts/ half shafts?

I can't wait to get out with you all next year!

fullpint

Daley Down Under

Sounds and looks like a great purchase.  For halfshafts try Chards of Bristol.  They do propshafts and a whole bunch of other top quality machining.

http://www.ibristol.co.uk/profile/44230/H-J-Chard-and-Sons/

Happy Christmas

Adrian

Lucky Ed

Just had a closer look at the photo of the engine bay :o :o :o :o 8) 8) 8)

Pitlips

Thanks very much, I'm glad you like it.
Thanks so much for the link, I've been looking for ages for someone local to make me some drive shafts. I think I'm going to be spending christmas rebuilding a limited slip diff.  :D hopefully it's not too difficult!

Daley Down Under

If you're struggling with the LSD, Phil Jones in Chipping Sodbury is spot on

http://www.pjed.co.uk/

Cheers Adrian

'The Gaffer'

I second Adrians recommendations.

Here is a pic of custom drive shafts made for me by Nigel at Chards.. They didnt come cheap though. Check that Nigel is still working there, it's been a while since I've seen him.

And here is a pic of my LSD diff after a Phil Jones rebuild

Pitlips

Quote from: 'The Gaffer' on 24, December, 2013, 11:14:41 AM
I second Adrians recommendations.

Here is a pic of custom drive shafts made for me by Nigel at Chards.. They didnt come cheap though. Check that Nigel is still working there, it's been a while since I've seen him.

And here is a pic of my LSD diff after a Phil Jones rebuild

Wow! The quality looks amazing! I've tried my luck calling on Christmas Eve but I guess understandably they're closed. That looks like a cosworth diff to me? I've just ordered a rebuild kit (bearings, seals etc) if I get stuck though I'll definitely give them a call. Do you mind me asking how much they charged for the rebuild?

Daley Down Under

Just looked up my invoice - cost in Apr 2010 was £175 (same diff as Gaffer and finished product looked the same too).

Cheers Adrian

Pitlips

That's really good, the cheapest I found was £275, hence why I've decided to have a go myself!

Pitlips

So I got the diff off and started to strip it and the inside is just full of weld so I can't get the output shafts etc out, it's pretty much useless :( I've got a lsd coming with a new case bearings and seals etc but I'm going to need the shafts and flanges. I tried calling Phil Jones but the message on the phone message said he's retired and the company has been taken over by Dave Dray. I'll call him next week to see if he can take my bits and build up a complete diff. Fingers crossed. I'm hoping he might swap my 3.3 crown wheel and pinion for a 3.6 if he's got one  ::)

Iancider

Pitlips

I went to see Dave Rae today and he's going to fully rebuild the diff supply and fit the output shafts and flanges and replace some of the lsd plates as there were some missing. He's also going to swap my 3.3 crownwheel and pinion for a 3.6 all for £240! Pretty good I'd say. It should be ready for Tuesday so I'll let you know how it comes out.
His website is www.daveraemotorsport.com if you want to have a look. He's in the same place as Phil Jones was.

'The Gaffer'

Daley Down Under

Sounds like a great outcome. There was a Dave that worked with Phil (but don't know his surname)

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 04, January, 2014, 10:26:49 AM
Sounds like a great outcome. There was a Dave that worked with Phil (but don't know his surname)

I was thinking the same thing. Most likely the same guy.

Pitlips

Yeah it's the same guy, they worked together for about 25 years but Phil retired last year.
Just need to get down to Chard and sons to get a quote for the drive shafts

Pitlips

I went to Chard's today and unfortunately they can't make my driveshafts so I think I'm going to go with berrisford, just means I'll have to send all the bits off :( unless anyone can think of anywhere else?

Pitlips

I picked up my diff yesterday and it looks fantastic! The service from Dave was also fantastic. I haven't tried it yet as I'm still looking for some driveshafts.
Dave also told me he's building a kit car so I've told him he should join so hopefully we'll see him on here soon.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Pitlips on 06, January, 2014, 06:10:50 PM
I went to Chard's today and unfortunately they can't make my driveshafts so I think I'm going to go with berrisford, just means I'll have to send all the bits off :( unless anyone can think of anywhere else?

Was Nigel still working there? I suspect not if they could not do the shafts.

Pitlips

Yeah Nigel was there but he can only make them if he can use bole on cv joints either end. The ford side is fine but the Mazda end slides into the cv joint and he said he can't match the splines.

'The Gaffer'

Quote from: Pitlips on 09, January, 2014, 09:20:56 AM
Yeah Nigel was there but he can only make them if he can use bole on cv joints either end. The ford side is fine but the Mazda end slides into the cv joint and he said he can't match the splines.

Ah, thats a shame :(

OBR

Hi,

i love the car, what a weapon!

I'm currently looking at getting some shafts made so got a few names at the Autosport show yesterday that might be of use to you.

General consensus for good quality shafts seems to be Brian Brand who I believe is up in Birmingham. I know it's not close and he's definitely not cheap but you'll not get better quality:

http://www.qimtek.co.uk/profile/brand_mechanical_engineering_ltd-28SLX158845.html

Let me know if you want any of the other numbers I got.

Cheers

Olly

Pitlips

Great stuff thanks, and thanks for the comments re the car. I was asking around at autosport on Saturday but didn't really get anywhere. The best place I've found at the moment is Berrisford, aka GB Engineering http://www.berrisford.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=45&products_id=68&osCsid=eerd7s2n4qg5srcq477bhu4ck3

They've said they'll do them for £160 plus vat per shaft which I don't think is too bad. They've assured me that they're motorsport grade.

Have you decided who you're going to go with?