News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

GKD Evolution S2

Started by Latham91, 05, January, 2014, 03:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Latham91

Hi all,

Just by way of introduction, I live near Lyneham and work  (structural engineer) in Bristol so hopefully that qualifies me for this forum!!

Have wanted to build a cobra kit for a number of years but am coming to the realisation that the absolute minimum budget of £17-18K will remain beyond me for some time yet and therefore have been looking at other options that would hopefully be within a budget of £11-12K.

First off, I'm not that keen on the various 7-type formats and prefer a 'roadster' type (much like a cobra...) with good performance naturally.  Having done some browsing around there doesn't appear to be much out there.  The Murtaya (based on Subaru Imprezza) caught my eye but looks like it may blow my budget and seems sketchy as to whether anyone's actually making them any more.

Otherwise I have come across the GKD Evolution S2 based on BMW 3 series (6cyl, 240bhp, nice) which looks possible for my budget.  Does anyone on here know much about this car? Based on searching the web it doesn't seem that any have been built yet (GKD supplied with BMW running gear) or got through IVA?!? although their other offering, the Legend appears to be quite popular - would welcome any information to the contrary or other people's experience with these guys.  There is a build of the S1 version on the web but the poor chap seemed to have a lot of difficulty getting the various body panels to fit together which does worry me...

...or if anyone has suggestions for other sporty 'roadsters' out there under my budget I'd be interested to hear...

Many thanks

Ed

Bulldog Bri

Welcome to the club Ed. :)

We did have one member building a GKD 7 type and had loads of info on BMW engines and bits, he's not been around for a while but I'm sure you'll get loads of help here as you need it.

8)

garry h

Welcome to the club Ed Im sure you will get plenty of help with your project.  :) :

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club.

We had a gkd bmw legend build story and a gkd evolution but that was cosworth powered. Nice looking car though. Perhaps you could pm our member Evolution to get some info on the car. He has since sold it for a merc roadster but I'm sure he would give you some advice.

TimC

The Autotune Gemini can look vaguely Cobra-ish.  I'm sure your budget would produce a good car.

There are two of these in the club (including mine below - mocked up.)

Autotune are a great family business to deal with - let me know if I can provide any more info.

Welcome to the club.

bluehornetrider

There are a few cars you could look at, lotus 11 kits, //www.sylva.co.uk/ do a few different styles the Fury looks very classic British sport-car.
Marlin www.marlinsportscars.co.uk  do a really nice BMW engined kit but might be over your budget.

You need to list what you want to do with your kit, as a bike engine build might work out cheaper, but a high revving bike engine is tiring on long runs but more fun on quick blasts.

There are also 3 wheeler kits, http://www.spitfireart.com/braprices.html
http://www.razorcars.co.uk/
http://www.penguinspeedshop.com/shop/product/53/buckland-b3-basic-kit/

Latham91

Thanks for the welcomes and suggestions and will have a look into them. 

I'm looking to build something suitable for a bit of touring / camping / Le Mans trip etc but also fun on the track - the Evolution fits the bill and I quite like the look of it but not many seem to have been built - GKD seem quite reputable however judging from comments made by GKD Legend builders .... there's some Youtube footage of one going around Brands Hatch that looks like a scream ....

Thanks again

Ed

Moleman

Good luck. I like my westy for trips out, trackdays & touring thats why I still have my windscreen on mine. Just need a bigger boot though.
So the GKD does seem a good choise.
Good luck on your build. I will follow it with interest.   :)

Iancider

Latham91

Welcome.  I can say it is not so much a car but about a lifestyle choice. 

You are right about the main divisions - 7-ish and Cobra-ish with a group of oddballs and then the repro-scene.  There is a lot of choice out there but there are many time where you cannot really be sure they are "in production"  - some cars may only see 10 or 20 produced.  I support the comment about the Westfield 11 - an old-timer re-introduced.  A good challenger is the new MEV Replicar MX5 based but it will not be a muscle car nor does it offer a practical screen.  I built a Westie and computed I could use it for touring by being innovative about weekend luggage.  A Cobra offers you a good boot and the ability to easily tour the  continent - if you can afford the fuel!  I also wanted somethng that would not be Soooo pretty that I would never dare take it out!  Mine is a Westfield FW Special   - it is powerful, light and sometimes economical and it will take a weekend bag.  Full weather gear is available.  Repeating the coments above, no screen equals no weather gear so it is a big limitation.  Enjoy the experience ;D

Ian