News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

virgin from yate

Started by chris61, 18, January, 2014, 12:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris61

Hi I'm Chris based in Yate, no kit car at present but looking to sort ssomething asap. I'm after a locost 7 type car. Torn at the minute between building a kit from scratch (best bet for budget but not timescale) or purchasing project/complete and build another at a later date. So I'll be lurking trying to absorb information and advice! Just been offer a sylva leader from a mate, on the road, no weather gear though at a very reasonable price that can be z usable project. But imo it's not the prettiest thing (to put it nicely, no offense to any owners!) But would get me in to kit car ownership and something to play with for the nice months. So that's my conundrum!
Anyway any advice greatfull received and look forward to maybe tagging along in my current toy (f150) to a meet in the near future

Zephyr

Hi!!

I think even a lot of the leader owners would agree its not the prettiest of things, I am looking at a few changes to hopefully change that.
If you are after wet weather gear, im planning on getting rid of mine! Got any photos of it?
Dan  :)

Bulldog Bri

Hiya.

There'll be a lot of different opinions on here as to buy or build ::) I for one would say depending on your abilities go for a build if your competent. the pleasure of knowing you built the car puts a bigger grin on your face when it's done, just be clear on the IVA rules as you build it. And be prepared for a long build (which is why there is a lot on Ebay half finished).

If not so sure about your skills then buy ready registered and modify to your requirements.

personally, I've built, (pre IVA and in the middle of another build) so been there getting the tee-shirt and would prob' only buy ready built from now on.

Hope you'll make it to a few meets this year to say 'Hi' ;D

8)

Moleman

Hi & welcome.
You can't go wrong with everything that's been said already. I personally haven't got the patience to build one due to the fact I would be wanting to drive it as soon as the kit had come.  ::)

I went for the second hand market with a veiw of not having to do anything to it. Well everyone who has one know that it don't take long that you are going to want to change something. which you can do gradually while still using it.  ::) :D

So either options are good. It really all depends on what your budget is? What you want out of your kit? What you want to use it for once you have it? (ie Touring, Events & Shows, Trackdays or All of these things). & how soon you want to drive it?

'The Gaffer'

Hi and a warm welcome to our club.

I think you have some pretty good advice above. Personally? I simply could not be bothered to build, especially from scratch unless I had 5 years to spare and a well equipped heated garage. Each to their own though, to some the build is what it's all about. I have known builders who have built and sold straight away only to start another build.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

fullpint

Welcome along mate..
If you want a car that's ready to go contact Yellowbelly on here (JB) he's selling his  8)

garry h

Hi and welcome to the club mate  :) :)

Iancider

Welcome to the club. 

Making the final decision is the hardest but what I would say is be clear what you want it for  - cruising, racing, mixed.  Weather gear is important if you want to use it a lot  and when you add a screen, wipers and a roof that in increase the base cost by about £1,500 on a new build.  Another question as the Gaffer implies is how patient are you - scratch builds take a long time and you probably only get about 16 hours per week three weeks per month if you are really dedicated.  A scratch build could be around 600 hours if you have reasonable skills - turnkey kits are around 350 hours.  Completing an unfinished kit is an excellent route.  The former owners are often defeated by the time, job loss or just ill-health.  I have seen many examples of fine cars bought for less than the cost of the parts and need only say 100 hours to finish.  I built a turnkey new kit which is the most expensive option but managed to knock it out in 9 months but then had to wait 5 months for an IVA appointment. 

Whatever you do you need to focus carefully on the IVA - it is easy to fail on little oversights and a £450 a pop and £90 for a retest (minor fail)  or a full re-test for a major - care is required.  Buying ready built avoids that risk and cost and you can still have fun improving it.  If you share your ponderings I am sure the club will give you lots of comment and guidance - Good luck with your search. 
Here's the link to the IVA guide:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/203591/M1_IVA_inspection_manual.pdf

chris61

thanks for the warm welcome.
Without sounding arrogant, the skill/tools etc to build on isn't a problem, I'm a mechanic by trade, built custom motorcycles and heavily modified cars. I'm now a mac tools dealer so even if I need more I've probably got them on the van lol.
I want to build as I enjoy that side of it but very impatient. So I think i'm going to buy one for tinkering then maybe start a build next winter along side so I get the best of both.
Yellowbelly is just up the road from me a ticks the right boxes, just budget I think may be an issue my end.

Zepher- that sounds ideal if I go for it as I want to use the car more than once a year! ideally daily as i've only got a 6 mile round trip.

YellaBelly

Hi Chris.

Welcome to the club :D You won't go wrong with this bunch of nutters! ;)

As Steve (fullpint) said, I am reluctantly selling my Locost. She needs some TLC and has a couple of minor niggles but if you are a mechanic then they will be no issue. If you want to arrange to see the car and maybe discuss your budget, you are welcome to come over and have a brew and a biscuit. I would sooneer the car went to someone local :)

Just PM me if you're intrested chap.

John

chris61