News:

The forum and its posts will remain visible as a resource for a long time to come.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

locust gears

Started by shurmer, 08, April, 2014, 08:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shurmer

:( hi am building locust have a crossflow engine and box need to lengthen gearstick as it sits to far into the engine bay any one know how to do this im stuck  thanks

Bulldog Bri

4 or 5 speed box?

For the 5 speed (type9) there is an extender part that bolts on to where it should originally and will move the stick back by around 6"

For the 4 speed all I can suggest is that the stick is shortened and a sharper band put in it!

8)

shurmer

Hi thanks for reply its a 4 speed crossflow box i need to move the stick back from original position by about 4inch can u make a extention bar or make stick converter

shurmer

Sorry but what is a band

benchmark51

If your at the build stage, do yoursef a favour and use a type 9, 5 speed box.
My xflow had a 4 speed and was a pain at speed, screaming away. Gets really annoying on a motorway!

I've just changed over to a type 9, which meant changing the clutch. Still uses the xflow flywheel but the input shaft is bigger and has 23 splines. Early capri, sierra, cortina 1.6 pinto clutch, 190mm dia plate with 23 splines. Used a type 9 clutch fork. Gearbox is about 8cm longer so puts the gearlever in a better position, although an adapter is available which brings the gearlever back about 6". Shim plate also needed modding, but my pre-engaged starter motor fit ok. Propshaft front yoke needs to be bigger, prop' will need to be shorter too.

Much easier to do this now rather than later.

shurmer

Really appreciate the advice  think i will change the box thanks alot hope we can chat again

Bulldog Bri