Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Hi - Westfield "Sport FW Special Edition"

Started by rigel, 14, June, 2010, 07:18:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rigel

Hi all

Just a quick note to introduce myself......

I'm a few miles South/East of Bath and am due to start my build at the beginning of July.  It's going to be a Westfield Sport FW Special Edition with a few options including: front and rear anti-roll bars (and wide front wishbones option); uprated brakes; LSD among other things.  The most difficult decision was the colour!

I've got experience of kit aircraft (Christen Eagle IIs) over the last few years and mucked about with bikes in the dim-distant past, but this will be my first car build - so I'm expecting it to be a big learning curve with loads of mistakes along the way.  With no workshop, I'll be doing the build in the comfort of my living room!

I tried to persuade Westfield to sell me an FW300 (Sport Turbo) kit but they're not currently offering it as a kit "due to it's complexity" - even though their website states it is currently available in kit form.  Still, I've offered myself as a guinea pig for it to be my second build!  Maybe I should concentrate on getting the FW finished and on the road first!  ;)

Glad to have found a local group.

Paul

Bulldog Bri

First of all, Hello and welcome.

You should have an easy time of building a kit car if you've already built a plane! Would be good to post some pics' of the plane if you like.

Your also more than welcome to come along to the club meetings and introduce yourself while your still building, the more the merrier  ;D

Good luck with your kit building, see you soon...

8)

'The Gaffer'

Hello Paul and a warm welcome to the club.

We are a freindly bunch, so if you have any problems with the build someone will probably help you out.

Please feel free to post a build blog.

Phil.

rigel

Thanks for the welcome guys.

I'll certainly come along to a meeting soon - although I'll leave the "tin-top" around the corner!

I'll be building virtually fulltime and will have some webcams setup for timelapse as well as a feed to an online blog.  I can hear the screams now if any of you guys look in "Not like that you fool!"  ;)

It's great to know there's some knowledgable assistance out there if (when) I run into difficulties.

Hope to meet you soon.

Paul

YellaBelly

Hello and welcome Paul.

Where abouts are you exactly? (other than near bath :) )

JB

Daley Down Under

Paul,

Belated welcome from me too.  Good luck with the build - I look forward to following the blog and webcam coverage.

Adrian

rigel

YellaBelly

Found it!

Just wondered if it was any nearer me than Bristol was, It's always a bit of a haul for me to go to the meets, (until I finish the locost that is :) ). I reckon it's not much different to your neck of the woods if I go via Chippenham.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Wecome Paul, look forward to meeting you...

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: rigel on 15, June, 2010, 04:20:56 PM
I'm in Norton St Philip JB - home to The George Inn.

Paul

Know the pub very well, used to run out there many years ago, great place.

8)

David H

YellaBelly

Quote from: bulldog bri on 15, June, 2010, 09:37:01 PM
Quote from: rigel on 15, June, 2010, 04:20:56 PM
I'm in Norton St Philip JB - home to The George Inn.

Paul

Know the pub very well, used to run out there many years ago, great place.

8)

Sounds like another venue Bri? :)

dave_bence

Richard

Warm Welcome  :D

Bri must be an east-direction run destination, we need to try some out that way.

Not too far from the Frome / Shepton guys or even our Trowbridge contingent.

Bulldog Bri

In my defence  :(  We do go down your way more than any other. Hartleys, Cheddar, Chew lakes & Haynes museum. All south from Bristol  ;D

And a run to the Geogre at Norton St Philp could be on the cards now.

Opp's have I just risen to baiting  :P

8)

YellaBelly

rigel

Maybe I'll be able to entice you guys over to The George when I need to shift the car out of my front room and through my front door - suspect an extra pair of hands (or two) may prove useful for such a manoeuvre!  My measurements show I should have 10mm spare on either side if I remove the rear wings and suspension - oh, and the front door and possibly a small section of the door frame.  Thank Heavens for an understanding other-half!  ;D

Paul

YellaBelly

Paul,

You could always do what that buffoon on 'Kit Car Crisis' did and re-mortgage, hire a crane, get the utilities to take down telephone lines etc and lift it over the house ;) :D

JB

Bulldog Bri

Quote from: YellaBelly on 16, June, 2010, 10:09:34 PM
Paul,

You could always do what that buffoon on 'Kit Car Crisis' did and re-mortgage, hire a crane, get the utilities to take down telephone lines etc and lift it over the house ;) :D

JB

Pleased to hear that I'm not the only one that thought he was a pratt  :o and didn't he make a song and dance about some little jobs  ???

Still enjoyed the program but Mark Evens's shows are way better  ;D

8)

YellaBelly

Yep, Mark gets my vote as well. Can be a bit of a 'vet' at times, but at least he got stuck in. That other idiot just got everyone else in to do the jobs and popped in the odd rivet etc. Bit of a jesse :)

rigel

Quote from: YellaBelly on 16, June, 2010, 10:09:34 PMYou could always do what that buffoon on 'Kit Car Crisis' did and re-mortgage, hire a crane, get the utilities to take down telephone lines etc and lift it over the house ;) :D

I'd read about that somewhere but assumed it was a joke!

I've watched the Evans' show (many, many times), and the Mike Brewer "How to Build a Sportscar" (didn't enjoy that as much).  By the sounds of it, I haven't missed much by not seeing "Kit Car Crisis".

I could easily be accused of demonstrating some buffoonery (or nearly doing so).........I had planned a few years ago to remove a section of external wall to get the wings of an 80% scale Supermarine Spitfire Mk 26 out of the house!  The section of wall was admittedly in ropey condition so would have benefited from the rebuild.  In the end I went for a small biplane instead (wife sighed in relief!).

Paul

Denzle

Hiya, and welcome Paul to a great club and some great lads.
Even though I live in Evesham I feel at home with these lads.
                                    Cheers,  Denzle.

robp

Hi Paul,

Welcome to the club.  Great choice of kit.  What engine does the Sport FW Special Edition come with or is it up to you?  Is it a modular build? 

It's a few years since I build my first Westfield.  I imagine things have moved on since then.  Let me know if you need help.  Hopefully see you at the meeting soon.

Rob

paintman

Hi Paul.   I'm in Frome and work now and again in Norton.  If you want a hand any time give me a PM.

I know Norton St Phillip well.....daughter lived there till a couple of years ago.

Tony