News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Wanted - Wheels and slicks

Started by peetee, 16, May, 2011, 02:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peetee

Hi all

After Llandow, have decided slicks is the way to go! Just didn't have enough grip on Saturday? Would ideally like 6x13 for the front and 7x13 for the rear with 16/53/13 front slicks and 20/54/13 rear I think? Preferably allycats or similar?
Any sources/recommendations anyone? Or has anyone got what I need?
Just need to check the offset and clearance for brakes etc.......
Thanks, Pete

robp

Good idea to go for some slicks.  Cheap and saves your road tyres.  Get your slicks from http://homepage.ntlworld.com/trrmotorsport/simplytyres.htm

What wheel size and offset do you have now?  Work it out from here http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=101

Then make a tyre rack for the back of your car to strap the wheels to your rollbar to get to/from the circuit.

Krazyken

For proper discounts speak to Steve Harkness Tyres at Chippiong Sodbury as per the discounts page on this site.  Dave Bence bought a set of 4 x 13" barely used slicks for £20 each.

For the lightest wheels to reduce you unsprung weight give Julian a call at Rare Rims, Crediton (Google his details) and mention my name.

Also worth considering is getting your suspension set up properly by TD to maximise your available grip ensuring that you have all 4 wheels providing as much contact as possible.  Speak to Dave Gallop at Track Developments again details on the discounts page of this site.

Or for the best results do all 3.

peetee

Thanks for the info so far Rob and Ken (and Marlboro car).

Have spoken with MAC1 this morning. My current wheels are 7x15 Team Dynamics Ltd edition wheels with a standard Sierra offset of 38mm. They are recommending a set of Team Dynamics 7x13 Pro 1.2 wheels with the same offset. These are very light wheels (4.62kgs each) but also very strong. They are also guaranteed to clear the Willwood calipers and brakes front and rear. If I do go with this type of wheel, what size slick is best?
I did go on the corner weighting day last year and hoping to do so again this year, but did adjust following Dave's advice and measured figures. Maybe I should look to do an individual set up session?
Thanks, Pete

Daley Down Under

20/54/13 is ideal with 7x13 but that might be too wide for the front (you may struggle to get enough heat into them with the light car).  Alternatively, you could still use 16/53/13 on the front but 7 inch rim is getting a bit wide for those.

Adrian

Westiebusa

Quote from: peetee on 16, May, 2011, 02:27:42 PM
Hi all,

After Llandow, have decided slicks is the way to go! Just didn't have enough grip on Saturday? Would ideally like 6x13 for the front and 7x13 for the rear with 16/53/13 front slicks and 20/54/13 rear I think? Preferably allycats or similar?
Any sources/recommendations anyone? Or has anyone got what I need?
Just need to check the offset and clearance for brakes etc.......
Thanks, Pete

Hi Peetee, ;D

Just a short point, i can understand you wanting to change to slicks, but have you considered the possible implications to the oil system? all the guys @ my race club who run Bec on slicks also run dry sump systems or at the very least Billet Sumps with Swing Arm Pick-ups & Baffle Plate as they say that the extra "G" created in corners and braking causes oil starvation, just thought it might be something you haven't considered? ::)

Ade,
Ps, if you are already running any of the above please ignore me ;D :D

peetee

Hi Ade, thanks for thinking of my bec! Was top of my winter to do list, so has a bespoke billet sump fitted already! Didn't fancy a full on track day without one?! Cheers, Pete

Newton

Quote from: MarlboroCar on 17, May, 2011, 11:22:29 AM
20/54/13 is ideal with 7x13 but that might be too wide for the front (you may struggle to get enough heat into them with the light car).  Alternatively, you could still use 16/53/13 on the front but 7 inch rim is getting a bit wide for those.

Adrian

Hi Pete,

I got a set of slicks from StickySlicks - they advertise on ebay and also have their own site.  I bought 6 part worn Michelin 16/53/13 (ex formula renault fronts) and it cost me £100 delivered.  Theres plenty of life left in them but still to try them out.  Anyway if you find the Michelin sport brochure you'll see they quote (from memory) 6 - 8" rims for the 16's.  I've just put mine on 7" rims and they look fine.

Rob

peetee

Thanks Rob, still on the hunt, yep sticky slicks look like a good bet