News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Front end clonk

Started by Gary RH7, 20, July, 2015, 09:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary RH7

I have had a front end clonk when I go over a bump on my Triumph based 7. It is sometimes quite loud and the bigger the bump depending on speed it sounded more like a loud "click" Been there since I built the car.

Ian heard a clunk when I went over a bump at the Riverside the other Thursday and commented on it.
I have been to see camber Dave again and he set up my tracking and checked camber and caster. We then talked about tire pressure and he put 30 in the back and 27 in the front as the tires were too soft and the car was shaking side to side flexing on the tires. Any way to cut a long story short it was riding hard so I started to lower the pressure shaking the car side to side as i did it. I then noticed this clonk. Thinking it was a ball joint or bearing I raised the wheel off the ground and started checking. All joints OK but I still heard the noise. I suddenly had a thought...break pads! I got Ana Maria in the car (first time) and told her to put her foot on the break when I was shaking the wheel violently and sure enough the noise stopped.

It is not the first set of pads the car has had and I don't go for cheep replacements.

Don't know what I can do about it but at least I know what it is now.
Any ideas guys? Would be good to get it sorted.

benchmark51

Most makes have had antirattle springs fitted as standard. Triumph almost certainly one of them. Going back a bit too far for my memory now though. There is quite a selection on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060778.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xbrake+pad+anti+rattle.TRS0&_nkw=brake+pad+anti+rattle&_sacat=0

Or try Moss they may stock them or know where to get them

Gary RH7

Thanks for the link benchmark.
I have sent a message to the supplier to see if they have anything for a Triumph Dolomite. They have for an Acclaim but it is a different set up.

benchmark51

Just asked someone else who had a Dolomite based hood, and they had antirattle shims.

paintman

On my Hood I run at 18 psi in the front and 19 psi on the back.....hardest I've tried is 20psi all round and that was too hard,
especially if you hit a pot hole!! :o

What size wheels and tyres have you got on your car?

Tony

Iancider

I would go with Paintman on that - you should be around 20 psi with a light car but the tyres wont behave well at that pressure if they have stiff sidewalls.

Regards
Ian

benchmark51

I have been running ratbag on 195 50 15 T1r's at 18 psi for the last 2 years, no problem. I think GaryRH7 is on standard Dolomite steels, dunno what tyres.

Gary RH7

OK,
I have Spitfire wheels 13in and I have 175/70/13 steel braced Verdestine tires on them. When I drop the pressure to to something like 20 psi and lower the car really wallows about when I shake it. If that is normal I am not sure.
Now, the tires are 20 years old and always been garaged. Please dont tell me to buy new as I have spent a fortune on the kit this year. The wife will go potty >:( I have cooling temperature problems as well (more cost) but new forum topic coming soon on that one.

Found some antirattle stuff and ordered them but they look like some sort of spring. No fitting instructions!!! >:(
I already have anti squeal shims fitted so they dont do anything bit stop the squealing.

Gary

benchmark51

They are quite easy to fit. The central 'hook' bit locates to the brake pad and the 'arms' locate behind the brake pad locating pins. Put one locating pin in, fit the spring and while pushing it on to the pad, slide in the second pin to hold it and repeat for the second spring. Fit the 'R' clips and job done :)

Your wheels and tyres are'nt the best for the type of car it is in my opinion. A bit skinny and too tall I think. They are more suited to something heavier and lower performance. Thing is they keep you rolling untill you find something better.

Gary RH7

Thanks for the fitting instructions. I was afraid someone would come up with that about my tires.

Anybody got any ideas of what tires would be best for 13in rims? I believe I am limited to Minilite 5.5J or 6J wheels so I would rather stick with the triumph rims.

benchmark51

Must admit I like minilights, always have. Trouble is £300 a set :'(
Dolomite sprint alloys would be better and would be a start. Set of 5 on ebay £60?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/triumph-dolomite-sprint-alloy-wheels-/281755341343?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4199ed521f

Sprint 7

Hi there, As I have just sold my Dolly Hood you can't come over and compare it with mine but here are a few suggestions.
Firstly is yours an S7 with all the Dolly front sub frame grafted on to the Hood space frame as mine was . If so, I never had any such noise, but I would point out that there are, as you are probably aware, many pieces which make up the whole suspension set up. If any of the bushes have worn or any thing has worked loose ie ; the 2 halves of the top and bottom wishbones ---Poss. noise? I replaced all the ball joints top/bot (I have a bot set for sale by the way)----Poss. noise? Also fitted a new rack as mine was F----D and made a terrible clunk . But I hope as you mention that the shims will do the trick and as Dave (Benchmark) has told you how to fit them .GO FOR IT.!!
Now then; I bought  a full set (5) of Avon 322 ? I believe fuel saving tyres on Ebay and fitted them on the std. Dolly Sprint wheels. They had come off of a Caterham, (Their standard fitment at one time) and were slightly scrubbed . These proved to be an excellent choice for economy and  FUN!!! motoring and lasted well. (still on the car when it was sold and years more life left)  You can listen all you like to blokes who bang on about having expensive tyres for MEGA performance but don't forget , if they can afford them Fine ,but I think they watch too much F1 on the telly and fancy themselves as Hamilton or Button, but at the end of the day you are only driving a KIT CAR after all. Tyre pressures were around 20 rear and 22 front on my Hood and that suited me well.

This developed into a bit of a moan, so sorry for that , but I hope I may have shed just a tad of light --maybe??

Have fun ,don't get all serious (like some who post on here and are looking through the gaps in their teeth).

Regards Pete Phelps Sprint '7'

Sprint 7

;D ;D ;D Just remembered! I have a set of aftermarket pads you can have for a fiver if you want them

Gary RH7

Many thanks for the info Pete. Mine is exactly as you described with the dolly front frame welded onto the space frame. Still looking for the noise but I am sure its not bushes or anything as the MOT checked all them and they were all new when built albeit 29 years ago but only done 2500 miles approx. I have the bits on order which Dave suggested.
Also I will try the tire pressures.
I will take the pads and how much do you want for the bottom ball joints? Anything will come in handy.

Thanks again.
Gary

Sprint 7

Hi Gary, the ball joints are on Ebay for £55 so that makes £60 the lot, Joints and pads. Not going to give the joints away as I paid good money for them so I just want to see most of my cash back. They are like Hen's Teeth to find and especially at that price.

Give me a call/text on07581251242 anytime if you're interested and to arrange pick up. I live in Hanham by the way and also will be at Highnam court on 8th August if that's any help.
Cheers, Pete.

Gary RH7

Hi Pete, I will get in touch by text and pay £60 cash and will probably pop over after work as I work in Colerne. I am going to have to give Highnam Court a miss as I just realised I have to be in Sunderland for a 90th birthday party on the 8th.

Thanks,
Gary

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Gary RH7 on 24, July, 2015, 08:54:05 AM
Hi Pete, I will get in touch by text and pay £60 cash and will probably pop over after work as I work in Colerne. I am going to have to give Highnam Court a miss as I just realised I have to be in Sunderland for a 90th birthday party on the 8th.

Thanks,
Gary

I was in Colerne on my last early Sunday morning blat Gary. My dad was in the RAF there, we lived at Thickwood just down the road, this was back in the mid to late 60s. It's lovely there, I'd love to live in our old house now, must be worth a few quid these days.

Re; 90th birthday, you're never too old for a spin in a kit car!!! What a great gift that would be!!!  ;D ;D ;D

sanzomat

All the way to Sunderland in a 7? You'd have less mobility than the birthday boy by the time you got there!

Sprint 7

Hi Gary, absolutely fine buddy. Are we talking next week as the ebay listing has a bit to run and hasn't sold yet, but as you know could just do quite soon. I'm really not pressuring you, honestly, but if that's a definite then I will take them off.

Let me know anytime soon,
Pete. 8) 8)

Gary RH7

Its a definite Pete so you can take them off. What evening next week is good for you? Tuesday evening is not good for me but any other will be OK.

Gary RH7

Quote from: sanzomat on 24, July, 2015, 01:26:10 PM
All the way to Sunderland in a 7? You'd have less mobility than the birthday boy by the time you got there!

No joke...my ass is numb just driving the 7 from Chippenham to the Riverside and then I cant get out of the bloody thing. I will just have to slum it in the Passat Executive :( 
Put some Royal Blood, Yes and Led Zep on and the 5 hours will just flow by. Its the driving back the next day with a hangover that will suck :'(

Sprint 7

Hi Gary, Monday evening is fine with me. I'm always home after 5.45pm-6.00pm.or if you're likely to be a tad earlier, then I will leave them for the wife to deal with. Only problem with that is ,Will I ever see the dosh . Te He !! ;D ;D