News:

A big thanks to all members past and present for making the club viable for so long.

Main Menu
AIB BKCC Kit Car Insurance
Discounts For Club Members

+-Member Login or Register

Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Lotus 7 with V8 or bike engine wanted

Started by Paul.latham, 20, January, 2016, 09:11:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul.latham

Hi guys
I will be in the market for a lotus 7 type of car with v8 or bike engine.
Hope to get my garage back in about a month.
So if you are looking to sell something can you let me know.
Would prefer sub 10k. The closer to 7 the better. But depends what's out there.
Thanks
Paul

'The Gaffer'

Hi Paul and a warm welcome to our club.

You will probably see more kits for sale in the spring but some bargains can be had in the winter sometimes.

Winter is a very quiet time but good luck.

Facial Hair Optional

Plenty of choice in that price range Paul. Always plenty on ebay and pistonheads for sale.

If you want to do fast road and/or track days I'd go for a bike engined version or normal car engined version (Zetec, Duratec, Honda, Vauxhall red top etc) as opposed to a V8 though. They tend to handle better.

jmad

Hi Paul. I have had a bike engine and also a V8 engine and they really are two different ends of the spectrum.  I couldn't say that one was better than the other as it depends what you are looking for. I know what I prefer of the two  8).

Although saying that, I have also had a 2.0 ltr Westfield, and currently have a 2.0ltr turbo fury.  They are all very different with different plus points.

Good luck with the search.

Moleman

Hi Paul Jmad is right what are you planning to do most with your kit car? It does make a difference if your just looking to go touring or just track days or a bit of both. Most engines will give you the wow factor in such a light weight car & you will love it where ever you go on the road but if you have something particular in mind then please feel free to say so so we can give you a few choices on what might be best suited for.   :)

Paul.latham

Quote from: jmad on 20, January, 2016, 09:44:49 PM
Hi Paul. I have had a bike engine and also a V8 engine and they really are two different ends of the spectrum.  I couldn't say that one was better than the other as it depends what you are looking for. I know what I prefer of the two  8).

Although saying that, I have also had a 2.0 ltr Westfield, and currently have a 2.0ltr turbo fury.  They are all very different with different plus points.

Good luck with the search.

This is going to sound sad. But I had a TVR and loved the sound hence the V8 idea. But as the TVR did so few miles I like the sound of the cheap road tax on the bike engined car. Easier to justify the cost to myself when it doesn't get used.
Agree the 1800/2000 cc is the better all rounder. But no v8 sound. Or bike idea cheaper each year. 6 miles from castle Combe. So will be track/ quick blat rather than touring.

If I go Zetec any idea on road tax compared to bike engine?

Thanks
Paul

paintman

Hi Paul, I would say a V8 is a bit ott for a "7", but saying that there are members on here that have one and love it.

I think if your thinking of tracking it, your have a better handling car with the Bec but end of the day its up to you. ::)

Moleman

Be careful if you do choose a bike engine not all pass the noise test for the circuits. How quickly are you after one as you can always pop along in April to our track day. I may even do one before then.  :)

Paul.latham

Quote from: Moleman on 21, January, 2016, 09:07:23 PM
Be careful if you do choose a bike engine not all pass the noise test for the circuits. How quickly are you after one as you can always pop along in April to our track day. I may even do one before then.  :)

No mad panic to buy as I don't have my garage back. Full of my sons bits, waiting to complete on a house.
Once he is in he is looking for a 7 also.
So if there was a track day for kit cars I would like to attend to get peoples feedback

Iancider

Paul,

Bike engine cars are hard work in traffic or over distance.  A V8 sounds great but rarely gives you any advantage over a smaller engine due to the weight increase and it does tend to make a well balanced 7-like heavy at the front - giving roll and understeer.  The best all-rounder is a 1600-2000 light car engine and the the Zetec Blacktop can be bought brand new for under £1k.  This gives you all round performance in all situations.  Common tweeks are throttle bodies for +20BHP, fast road cams or half race if you are prepared to swap to pocketed pistons, a turbo of course £2k for around 240 BHP result.

With a zetec your 7 like would be about 560Kg and a standard 2litre zetec will give 170BHP and 180BHP with a modest tune.  This is about 336 BHP/tonne allowing for a 100kg driver.  The Zetec is about a 125Kg engine so a bike engine producing 170 BHP offers about a 70Kg saving and the car now offers 370 BHP/tonne.  So losing the 70Kg has gained 34BHP per tonne or gained 10% on the power to weight ratio.  Alternatively keep the Zetec, go on a diet till you look like a Jockey and achieve the same! ;D

Ian

Iancider

Oops just saw you latest post:

Trackdays: two books already - Castle Combe April 25th - club only and CKC at Llandow, kits only on May 14th.  Please come along and we will offer you rides in a whole variety of cars - it is the best way to decide.  Bring you son too - then he will get the bug and help you clear the garage!  ;) :P

Paul.latham

DAMN
Wasn't going to say that but thought I would be polite. On holiday on that day! (25th)
Would have loved to come to that. Walking snowdon.

Paul.latham

Quote from: paintman on 21, January, 2016, 08:34:06 PM
Hi Paul, I would say a V8 is a bit ott for a "7", but saying that there are members on here that have one and love it.

I think if your thinking of tracking it, your have a better handling car with the Bec but end of the day its up to you!

Tony

Hi TONY
So what about a dax? Don't they have V8 in many of them?
It's a bit of a mine field of different brands to do different things!

there

paintman

Quote from: Paul.latham on 21, January, 2016, 10:10:19 PM
Hi TONY
So what about a dax? Don't they have V8 in many of them?
It's a bit of a mine field of different brands to do different think?

Your correct Paul, but a sorted v8 Dax is a bit out of the price range of the majority kit car owners I recon.....
except Santa of coarse.  ;D

I have to agree with Ian, a sorted 1800 or 2000 is what I would go for.

'The Gaffer'

Good advice from all above. Having owned both car engined cars CEC and Bike engine too BEC. The differences are light and day but in short. Easy going or fast road touring with some quick track days = Tuned car engine. Frantic fun, little more work in traffic, great sound, and fun track days = Bike engine. Bike engine needs more work to drive as less torque but it's not a deal-breaker. Getting sound test passes are a bit harder but certainly not impossible. Reverse or lack of it can sometimes be problematic but at high revs with clutch-less up and down shifts with auto blip on downshifts a trackday really comes to life.  Car engines on the other hand are generally more civilised plus are easier to live with and make for the majority of kit cars for that reason.

Horses for courses really :-\ 

Paul.latham

Quote from: Iancider on 21, January, 2016, 09:38:07 PM
Oops just saw you latest post:

Trackdays: two books already - Castle Combe April 25th - club only and CKC at Llandow, kits only on May 14th.  Please come along and we will offer you rides in a whole variety of cars - it is the best way to decide.  Bring you son too - then he will get the bug and help you clear the garage!  ;) :P

I might be able to get back for the 25th now! :)
So if I pop to castle coombe can I just drive in?
Will I need a pass to get in?
What car are you in? So I know who to look out for.

Getting excited now.
I have an empty garage at last!!!

fullpint

Paul, I'm only down the road in Rudloe, Got a Mk Indy Fireblade. Your more than welcome to have a ride in it when (or if) the weather picks up :)

sanzomat

Quote from: Paul.latham on 28, March, 2016, 08:24:07 AM
I might be able to get back for the 25th now! :)
So if I pop to castle coombe can I just drive in?
Will I need a pass to get in?
What car are you in? So I know who to look out for.

Getting excited now.
I have an empty garage at last!!!

You won't need a pass to get in as its a private trackday, just come in the main paddock area and park up wherever there is room, ideally a little away from where people are set up with trailers or piles of tools etc! If you look in the track day section of this forum you'll see a list of the members who are going. Moleman's van stands out as its bright yellow and has a hornet on the back (just like his Westy) but everyone there will either be a member or know them so just say hello to anyone you see!

Moleman

As sanzomat says it is free to get in & you cant miss us as 90% of us are from the club. The only thing that will cost you is there is a flat fee for passenger rides which all the money goes to the Go Inspire charity, But then you can go out as a passenger in as many cars as you like to get a feel for what you like.  8)

Lucky Ed

Paul, If you've got the need for speed you can donate a little extra and have a few laps in my car with Dino Zamparelli (ex GP3 driver), it's quite an experience if your 'nads are big enough :o

Dino has confirmed his attendance for some of the day, and you can catch him on ITV4 this Sunday, driving in the Porsche Carrera Cup. The races are part of the BTCC programme from about 10am.

Facial Hair Optional

Quote from: Lucky Ed on 29, March, 2016, 09:13:57 PM
Paul, If you've got the need for speed you can donate a little extra and have a few laps in my car with Dino Zamparelli (ex GP3 driver), it's quite an experience if your 'nads are big enough :o

Dino has confirmed his attendance for some of the day, and you can catch him on ITV4 this Sunday, driving in the Porsche Carrera Cup. The races are part of the BTCC programme from about 10am.

Ooh, ooh, ooh, me, me, me!!! I'm up for that please Ed!!!!!  8) 8) 8)