Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

WANTED - SIERRA 3.38 OR 3.36 DIFFERENTIAL

Started by 'Mendip Wurzel', 06, January, 2010, 07:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'Mendip Wurzel'

Dear Friends,
If anybody has a 3.38 Sierra Differential (7 inch) that they want to sell then I would be interested.
Or a 3.36 (7.5 inch) if it will fit in the same space which I am not sure about.
Thanks
Kevin

'The Gaffer'

'Mendip Wurzel'

Phil

As you say the 3.3 type differentials are rare, I currently have a 3.62 which is okay but a bit too high reving. 1st gear is next to usless, I often pull away in 2nd.
I'm not too worried about a LSD. I get the impression that you only really need a LSD if you want to use the car on a track, or you want to drift the car. 
I have emailed the chap who owns your second suggestion above asking if the diff is in good working condition. He lives reasonably close in Paignton, so collectable.

Thanks again Phil

Kevin

Richard

As a thought has anyone looked at using a BMW Diff and what change would be needed ?
Loads of those things around, especially non-LSD, oh look some in my garage  :-[

'Mendip Wurzel'

Phil

I purchased the first choice 3.38 differential suggestion above for only £100 and as we know they normally sell for around £300.
The nice seller then decided he did not want to sell... probably becuse of my £100 winning bid. O well, the fun of hunting for car bits. There was no exchange of monies so nothing lost.

So I am still in the market for a 3.14, 3.36 or 3.38 Sierra diff if anybody has one for sale.

Kevin 

'The Gaffer'

What a Bummer. Hope you neg'd him >:(

I will keep my eye open, but as Rich says, any chance of getting a BMW one in there?

Richard

Do you know the physical dimensions of the old one ?

At least that would be a starting point to see what options appear for non-Sierra parts.

'Mendip Wurzel'

Richard
If I fitting a differential from a different manufacture then the prop shaft and drives to the wheels would presumably all need to be altered, which could be a lot of work... I'm not sure how difficult this would all be....
Kevin

'Mendip Wurzel'

One more posting and I become a Junior Member with 50 postings, Yahoo.... quick, does anybody want to ask me a question!!!

paintman

Ok then.....how fast have you had the nerve to drive your Hood with that V8 in it. (on a track of course!!!)   Tony

Richard

Not sure if any of us know the work involved but presumably it could be a lot of effort but then it might not be as bad as we think. Mounting points would very likely be an issue as well, but just thought we could take a look.

Will go check some dimensions if I get a bit of time or try and track down one in a scrapper to check.

Richard

Try here   http://passionford.com/forum/traders-parts-for-sale/2022-ask-the-breakers-13.html

If not hunt the breakers request pages e.g.   http://www.car-part-search.co.uk/contactbreakers.php?categories=1&order=BestMatchSort&misspelled=&submit=Search&Query=Ford&category=Ford

If you find one a bit far away let us know on here, quite a few of us go to differing parts of the country of and on so we might be able to save that postage fee (quite a few economical ways like parcel2go you could try if not).

'Mendip Wurzel'

Thanks for the replies chaps, some good information.

To Tony (Paintam) - You asked about how fast I have gone in our kitcar.... Because of the slow speed that we travel at when my wife is in the car we can get nearly 25mpg out our Rover engine which I find very embarrassing as I have never heard of anybody getting much over about 18mpg, please do not tell anybody as I would not like this to be public knowledge.
My son however did drive me back from Weston Super Mare (we live halfway between Bristol & Weston) at an incredible speed and at the time my son was very impressed with what he saw as his incredible driving. Unfortunately I was not impressed as he scared the life out of me which I made very clear to him saying that if he was going to drive like that then he was not going to drive the kitcar any more.... So I did go fast once.
As far as tracks are concerned I think I will just stand at the Bar and watch. 

Kevin 

'Mendip Wurzel'

Quote from: MendipWursel on 25, January, 2010, 07:15:38 PM
Thanks for the replies chaps, some good information.

To Tony (Paintam) - You asked about how fast I have gone in our kitcar.... Because of the slow speed that we travel at when my wife is in the car we can get nearly 25mpg out our Rover engine which I find very embarrassing as I have never heard of anybody getting much over about 18mpg, please do not tell anybody as I would not like this to be public knowledge.
My son however did drive me back from Weston Super Mare (we live halfway between Bristol & Weston) at an incredible speed and at the time my son was very impressed with what he saw as his incredible driving. Unfortunately I was not impressed as he scared the life out of me which I made very clear to him saying that if he was going to drive like that then he was not going to drive the kitcar any more.... So I did go fast once.

Look, I've now got 2 star and am a Junior Member... 

Kevin

'The Gaffer'

Track days are all about driving at your own speed and not racing others, at least thats the theory and you will be red flagged if seen to be racing. I hope to find out myself this year.

Look, I've now got 2 star and am a Junior Member... 
Kevin

Well done!! Only another 49 to go for full member ;D

paintman

Hope you don't mind me asking but it puzzles me why you drive a V8 but don't like too drive to fast and you do a lot of miles? ::)

'The Gaffer'

Personally I just love the sound of a V8, its really a nice cruiser too in my opinion unless you go all out and spend mega £££££ on race tuning.

Just my 2pence worth, Kevin will have his own reasons no doubt.

Richard

Got to be because he wants to and it is his car, the only real reason he needs.

'Mendip Wurzel'

I have actually managed to source a new differential and it is a 3.14 ratio which is rare and a much better ratio that I was hoping for ... it's a bit old (about 25yrs) but it appears okay so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that there is nothing drastically wrong with it.

I had fun trying to get the filler plug out which was completelly burred over. I weld a bar to the thing, it was just so tight. Anyway, it is out now.

Bar welder to filler plug - over the top or what!!! and yes I am rubbish at welding.

Yes it is definatelly a 3.14 ratio, thank goodness

Straight from a 2.3 V6 Sierra and only 25 years young..

'The Gaffer'

Excellent :) The teeth look really good.

Where did you come by that little gem?

'Mendip Wurzel'

I got the contact through some of the old listings on ebay.
The 3.14 Sierra diffs were generally only in the 2.3 Sierra diesels & 2.3 V6 and a lot of the 2.3 diesels did high mileage because they were a favourite with Taxi drivers. I think the 2.3 V6 engines were only produced between 1982 and 1984.
Kevin 

Richard

That looks in good nick in there.

You'll notice that ratio difference, me guesses your 2nd - 3rd should be in the mid 60mph now, no issue with low down torque grunt though with that engine.

You'll be going everywhere in 2nd just to hear that engine and running up horrendous fuel consumption.